GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Delayed again. I have had it this time"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 26/02/01 at 13:56
Regular
Be it Sony's fault or developers.
Either way, I am sick to death of being messed around with release dates.

You either wait until it's done, then put it out on the given date, or you don't announce a maybe date and change it.
Knockout Kings 2001 is delayed YET AGAIN, now March 9th.
Well, I have had enough. Sony, you can insert your machine somewhere dark and sensitive.

My original went wrong on Friday, I was pi**ed off but they promised to come exchange it this Wednesday.
Great, so I can get a new one and wait for 2 weeks for Knockout Kings, April for GT3 and next year for MGS2?

I don't think so, I am a lot of things but not a mug.
I bought this machine because I thought it would rock.
Big time.

But, instead, I have had to get a replacement after 8 weeks because the initial batch were error laden so they could get them on the shelf. There is a lack of decent titles out there, and why the hell did I buy one in December, to have to wait 6-7 months for any decent titles to come out?

Hello? Sony? Any answers for me?
No, just a deafening disregard for those idiots who went out and bought one, thinking the good stuff would be around in Feb or so. Because you wouldnt release a £300 console with bog-standard games would you?

I don't care who is to blame, there are more titles available in the US and Japan (check Amazon to see which ones), yet we in the UK wait.
And wait.
And wait.

Developer/Sony, it doesn't matter. The only thing that does matter is that we are told "another few weeks/months", just play the old games until then.
I didnt buy my PS2 to play bloody Smackdown 2 on it, yet that is all that gets a showing, because most of the PS2 titles blow.

So thanks Sony for letting me down big time, you may replace my console quickly, but it shouldnt need replacing at all.
I feel that those that got a PS2 have been smacked in the face by a lack of titles and a LOT of problems with initial consoles being faulty.

The Third Place?
I never should have left the 2nd
Thu 01/03/01 at 09:01
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
No problem mate, and I'm not slamming the PS2, I went and bought one soon as, because I enjoy playing games and this seemed like the next step up.
And it is, I'm also aware that launch titles aren't the best, I've posted threads before about how people need to wait and just enjoy the ones that are out.

I've just been getting annoyed at not being able to purchase titles available elsewhere, but not in this country yet.
And the machine going wrong so soon after getting one, and the attitude from a major supermarket chain about replacing it - These all added up to me wanting to take a sledgehammer to Sony products.

I apologise if I caused offence, I know it's just a games console.
It's a damn expensive one that went wrong waaaay to soon to be ok with is all.

Peace
Thu 01/03/01 at 04:02
Agreed, Kieran.

Goatboy: Apologies for the attitude. I just had to hear that sort of thing 24/7 from my best friend, and it took me a while to tease him out of it. I've a feeling I took out some of the residual annoyance on you. Again, you've my apologies.
Wed 28/02/01 at 21:44
Lads, Lads. Why can't you just agree to differ.

It would have been difficult to please everyone who bought a PS2, and totally immpossible to please someone who hasn't bought one yet. All the conflicting reports and speculation about Sony ditching the PS2 in favour of a new PS3 is enough to drive you up the wall!

But what you must keep in perspective is the fact that at the end of the day, the PS2 is a games console, and not some futuristic alien technology smuggled out of Area 51, though Sony will have you believe that it is!

Whats more, it is guaranteed that the next console to come along will be more powerful, more advanced, and push more polygons than you could poke a stick at, regardless of who develops it. Now that Microsoft have joined this market, it is certain that many of their competitors will follow suit and jump on the band wagon. Indrema have already thrust their weight into the ring, though the reaction was rather muted. And the Sega vision is now a very blurry picure back on the horizon, so are we about to witness a completely new era in consoles, and console manufacturers?

One thing is for sure, the everyday gamester is a fickle animal, and none of us will allow ourselves to be left behind in the doldrums, while our mates sail off on the fastest wave of hype towards a new generation once again.

Oh, and one final thought, there may be delays, there may be disappointment, but one thing is for sure, the PS2 has landed, and the games will arrive.
Wed 28/02/01 at 04:25
Goatboy said, "And to be patronised by someone that doesnt even own the super console is laughable."

I've no problem with your being upset over the situation; I've equally no problem with you venting on this forum. Just because I'm not in the same spot you are, does that make me feel as if I've no right to comment? Hell no. My friend, who does own the system, feels the exact same way you do. But I teased him about it, and he laughed it off. He's dealing. If your feelings are so hurt over this that you can't take a few smartass remarks, then I really *do* feel bad for you.

I'm not saying you're stupid for buying the system at launch; I just stated that I tend not to do that for the exact reasons why you're so upset right now. It was meant as advice, not a criticism. Here's the thing: It's been apparent long before the PS2 was released that it would be hard to develop for, meaning games would come out slowly and with few really good ones in the beginning; it was also decently well-known that Sony wanted to get it out long before Nintendo or Microsoft could release their systems in order to add to its marketing. If you weren't aware of these things and you bought it, then I'm simply explaining that these are the reasons why things aren't moving briskly. If you bought it despite these things, then I don't see why you've any legitimite reason to be ticked off right now. Software, particularly games, get pushed back all the time. Hell, I can hardly remember the last time a release date was kept firm.

I'm sorry if all this seems harsh, but that's the way it is. So flame me if you like, vent some more about how unfair all this is, but don't ever imagine that you're not partly to blame for your current frustrations. Be patient and things will happen. They're bound to, that is if Sony wants to keep their stranglehold over the industry.

Tue 27/02/01 at 12:33
Regular
Well a another delay but what about some top games for you PS2 owners! Yeah there's been SSX and a few others but no more than good games.
MGS2 being delayed for so long is one bad thing for you lot.
Tue 27/02/01 at 10:59
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Ok, well I'm glad you had the forsight to be so wise and wait for a PS2.
I wonder how you can comment, however, when you do not have one.
This is my opinon, based on performance by companies for a machine I paid a lot of money for.
If I feel aggrieved by a situation, I will say so, that is what the forum is for.
I'm not saying Sony this or Microsoft that, I am saying that I am unhappy and furious at my experience with software availability.

You launch a console, you make damn sure you have the titles available.
There are a couple, and again it's my personal preference, but the ones I thought would be out early this year (jan/Feb) are delayed beyond my limits of patience.

I feel that I have been more than fair, I bought their machine, I stood in line, only to find minimal titles even in Feb/March and a machine I have to replace after 8 weeks.

I'm not knocking all PS2s, or saying that I prefer something else, I'm saying that I bought the PS2 based on previous track records and I was excited by the next generation of console.

Instead, I am waiting for a courier to replace mine with no good reason for the failure, and when it does get here, I'll play PS1 titles because I've tried the handful that are available and, bar one or two, they are not up to par in my opinon.

Again, I stress MY OPINION.
That is all it is, I'm not saying I'm right - Just how I feel.
And to be patronised by someone that doesnt even own the super console is laughable.

I feel let down by the PS2, and until the middle of the year, 6 months after launch, decent titles might appear.

Now that is not my opinion, that is the cold hard truth.
Tue 27/02/01 at 04:46
One more thing: If all the rest fail, just go on Ebay and buy the games yet to be released in the UK on there. You might even get them at a discount rate. Believe me, there are plenty of people who bought extra copies of some of these games JUST to do that. Why they do that, I've no idea, but take advantage of it.
Tue 27/02/01 at 04:43
First of all, I haven't got a PS2 yet. Why? Because, well, I read up about it and decided that a)it was too expensive at launch and b)because the best games won't be coming till much later and, by then, the price will've gone down.

Put simply, I think it's a mistake to buy anything at launch. You're paying a massive price generally for a system that may or may not be worth it, not to mention the fact that its game library is so damned small. What I've been doing in the interim is buying a couple of PC games here and there, playing around with my gaming palette.

So...

1) Don't flip out. You bought the system early, which is usually not the best idea, especially since these newest consoles are so damned iffy. Breathe in and out, try to be patient.

2) If #1 doesn't work for you, put in SSX and make goals for yourself; they could be absolutely anything really. Don't make them impossible - they should be small and plausible, so you can make yourself feel good each time you play.

3) If #2 doesn't do it alone, then proceed to repeating this mantra: "SSX is a mind-bending, fantastic video game and I enjoy it immensely; therefore there must be more games like it yet to be released and I should just enjoy what I can till that day comes. If they delay the date of release, it's probably NOT because they're making the game better per se; they probably just figured out that they forgot to program a door to step through in order to fight the main bad guy." [The latter part about the door is from a personal experience I had with a Phantasy Star game long ago. Very annoying.]

4) If the above fails, then buy up some PC games and play around with them for a while. There are plenty out there that absolutely rock.

5) If nothing else works, put the Heat DVD in your PS2 and watch it 400 times; by then something's bound to've come out, either for PS2 or PC.

Enjoy.
Mon 26/02/01 at 20:38
I'm fine with my PS2. What do you mea - lack of great games? Silent Scope, SSX, TimeSplitters, DW2, DOA2, (ect) are all great games for a great console. *The PS2, if you haven't figured out already*

I know release dates can be frustrating, but why do you think they delay them? Answer: TO MAKE THEM BETTER. By now, the producers must have made Z.O.E really 'too-hot-to-touch' cool! And All the others... oh baby yeah! That's worth a £300 console belive me.
Mon 26/02/01 at 19:27
Regular
Its true Goatboy we always get the stuff late, first of all look at the ps2 launch date, we had to wait much longer than people in the USA and Japan and another game that has kept on getting delayed is Street Fighter EX3: First it was 24th November then 1st January and now a possible 2nd of March, to say the truth I din't think it will be released on this date. Ever since I got my Ps2 on launch day from dixons I had chosen this as one of my games and up to now im still waiting for the day it comes out as it is already paid for. I am also thinking of getting Final Fantasy 9 instead.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.