GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sobig.F Virus Update - Freeola"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 08/09/03 at 14:40
"www.Freeola.info"
In an effort to prevent Freeola users from further being affected by the Sobig.F vurus, our mail servers are blocking is any any .pif attachment. This is the methid the Sobig.f is using to propogate.

Due to the nature of this virus, it is actually killing the POP accounts of people who are running up to date virus guards as well as those who arn't.

Thier POP accounts are getting filled up with thousands of e-mails containing the virus and also bounce back warning from e-mails sent from other PC's spoofing the mail as being sent from them. There is just to much mail for them to download.

To prevent this from further affecting Freeola users, We are now blocking and returning all mail being sent to the Freeola servers with these .pif attachments.

This should not affect many/if any users as who actually sends .pif files? If you do need to receive a .pif file, just get the sender ot Zip it up first and then send it.
Tue 09/09/03 at 18:09
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I am still getting these viri btw.
Tue 09/09/03 at 12:01
Regular
"AlL fLo$$Ed OuT"
Primal wrote:
> A simple alternative would be to advice users to stop using Outlook
> Express and use Mozilla mail. Viruses aren't usually programmed to
> work in a non-Microsoft environment (as far as I'm aware).
>
> No doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong! ;-)

It's Windows that runs the file, not OLE. Therefore any client running under Windows and capable of dealing with attachments is potentially at risk.
Tue 09/09/03 at 11:29
A program like Mailwasher will solve that problem, since it only downloads the first few ilines of text and ignores images and any other files. Although its Windows only, I'm sure there's a viable alternative on other platforms.
Tue 09/09/03 at 07:55
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
True but the annoyance with SoBig is that you can get 10, 20, 30 100kb E-mails in your inbox that presents quite a problem to dialup users.
Mon 08/09/03 at 22:30
Regular
"Kill all Hippies"
A simple alternative would be to advice users to stop using Outlook Express and use Mozilla mail. Viruses aren't usually programmed to work in a non-Microsoft environment (as far as I'm aware).

No doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong! ;-)
Mon 08/09/03 at 19:31
Regular
"\\"
Icarus wrote:
> Erm, this may be silly, but who uses .pif files?

For one sobig.
Mon 08/09/03 at 19:19
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
http://www.filext.com/ detaillist.php?extdetail=pif&Submit2=Go%21

space.
Mon 08/09/03 at 18:41
Erm, this may be silly, but who uses .pif files?
Mon 08/09/03 at 18:22
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
freeola-moderator wrote:
> To prevent this from further affecting Freeola users, We are now
> blocking and returning all mail being sent to the Freeola servers
> with these .pif attachments.

I deny that. I've just got one for a start. When are you going to be implementing this?
Mon 08/09/03 at 18:01
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
You may want to mail all your users informing them of this.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.