GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"STAR WARS GALAXIES: prices and subscription fees?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 12/06/05 at 13:45
Regular
"Its all me,me,me,me"
Does anyone here have the game and play it regularly? Ive been gripped by the current star wars hype and have bought loads of SW games of ebay to have a bash at. Got Star Wars galaxies the total experiance new without the packageing for a tenner so well chuffed but dont really want to start it until I know how much Im going to be paying every month. Lucasarts dont make it clear anywhere how much the mmonthly subscription is. All I know is that on the box it says first 30 days subscription fees included for new subscribers!? What does this mean? can anyone give me a clear breakdown of the fees you have to pay each month?
Sun 12/06/05 at 21:17
Regular
"A man with a stick"
There was actually quite a big update released for Star War Galaxies recently, a 'Combat Upgrade' that strips the game of it's skill based system and introduces a level one instead. It didn't go down too well with many who play the game, especially those who've spent the last two years on it.

They seemed to have made the same mistake Blizzard did with the Honour System, but it’s especially worse for Galaxies as it was never really a game about PvP. Glad I never went back to it.
Sun 12/06/05 at 20:30
Regular
"bit of a brain"
cipro wrote:
> enough time and patients

Galaxies: Wookie Hospital
Sun 12/06/05 at 20:29
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Yep.
I was an avowed Galaxies fan and chuckled at WoW players until I tried it.
Ironically, it was trying to be a Jedi that turned me off the game.
I spent a couple of weeks just shooting things, in once place, to gain XP to reach a higher level so that I could learn new stuff. But I couldn't, because there isn't new stuff to learn. You just aim a bit better or fire 3shots instead of 1.
So decided to try and be a Jedi. And read how to reach Padewan stage.
It took 4 weeks of 8hr a day play to reach "You feel a connection with the Force" stage, and Sony promptly changed the classification/requirements that wasted a month of grinding/exploring.
Just flushed it down the toilet.

So I bought WoW and have never looked back since. A point to taking quests, rewards for completing missions, entire stunning worlds.
There's no comparison
Sun 12/06/05 at 20:16
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Aye, it's all good fun, until you realise your just sitting in a tent to gain camping XP in order to master a profession you don't really want but must learn if you want to access some of the more unique classes, only to find they are, themselves, quite dull.

It has light sabres sure, hope you have enough time and patients to actually bother getting to wield one though, and that's only if Sony Online don't decide to revamp the entire Jedi/Sith system like they have before.
Sun 12/06/05 at 19:14
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
SW Galaxies is good fun for a bit.
But once the "Ooooh, Jabba's Palace!" effect has worn off, you're left with a game that has little point to it.
You spend hours and hours grinding to reach the next skill box (750,000 sp points needed for lv3 pistol), and when you do get it?
Nothing happens.
There are no quests, no epic storylines, no instances/dungeons.
You zoom around on a swoopbike looking at places from the movies and that's it.
Take a destroy/scout/forage mission from a terminal, go shoot something and repeat endlessly.
Just lots of disconnected, simplistic "Shoot this lair/monster" tasks with no greater arc or sense of acheivement for doing so.
I reached Master Bounty Hunter, it took me 2 months to do.
And once I reached this hallowed rank? No real point, nothing new and no sense of being able to do something cool.

Avoid unless you want to spend hours trying to find a sarlaac pit.
And you don't get lightsabers unless you are Jedi rank.
Which takes weeks.
Sun 12/06/05 at 18:53
Regular
"Unretired"
SW Galaxies > WoW

WoW may have the better gameplay, better online system.. And well beats SW Galaxies at everything... But does it have LIGHTSABRES?

NO!
Sun 12/06/05 at 17:07
Regular
It's crap. WoW beats it hands down.

Ask goatboy (or was it grix?) as he played star wars loads and wrote an entire topic on why WoW is so much better.
Sun 12/06/05 at 14:33
Regular
"Its all me,me,me,me"
J Nash wrote:
> That's becuase it's pretty old, crap, and everyone is playing WoW.

explain to me why world of warcraft is so playable then? and what are the subscription costs for that?
Sun 12/06/05 at 14:02
Regular
That's becuase it's pretty old, crap, and everyone is playing WoW.
Sun 12/06/05 at 13:49
Regular
"Its all me,me,me,me"
gerrid wrote:
> If you got it 2nd hand then someone has probably already used your
> free 30 day subscription. After that it'll be about £10 a
> month.
Its not second hand its new with the cellophene removed. Do you play it Gerrid? it dosnt seem to be a high talking point anywhere. Ive read the odd review that praises it but It dosnt seem to be highly played by anyone on the forums...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.