GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The beat-em up Generation - a trip down memory lane"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 14/06/05 at 20:34
Regular
"Shizzel happens"
At a time when the beat-em up genre is perhaps facing a "calm before the storm" scenario, i just wanted to voice (or type) my opinions on the genre itself. Nowadays, it just seems that people are less interested in beat-em up games.

The gaming world is changing, but at times i wish it wasn't. Ever since unwrapping Street fighter 2 from underneath the Christmas tree when i was 4, i've always love beat-em ups. i used to spend hour after hour practising, so that when my mates came round i could pummel them to a bleeding pulp. There is nothing better than hearing the purest words of "perfect" followed by the babbeling of "It's not my fault the controller was stuck" etc. After SF2, there was the age of Mortal Kombat. The soundclip of "finish him" still echo's in my skull.

Then things started getting three dimensional. On the PSX, games like Tekken and Street Fighter Alpha were released and people began to fall in love with beat-em ups all over again. Tekken 3 is hailed by many as the greatest beat-em up of all time, combining intriguing characters, the perfect balance of speed and style and a list of moves, so long that boredom seemed an impossibility. Even Nintendo's mascots couldn't keep away from the action, when Super Smash Brothers was released on the N64.

Soul Calibur, another game hailed by many as the king of fighters. The DC game revolusionised the genre with its slick yet rapid style of gameplay. Capcom were still proving they were the daddies of 2D fighters, releasing the hugely anticipated Street Fighter 3.

The current generation aren't without their fair share of gems too, including Soul Calibur 2, Virtua Fighter 4 and DOA 4. On the horizon we have Tekken 5, and ofcourse Soul Calibur 3, which i'm sure will be worth the wait.

The beat-em up genre just ain't what it used to be. Whenever my parents couldn't be bothered to raise me, they would stick me in front of Street fighter 2 or Virtua fighter. Who needs love and adoration when you have the likes of Ryu and Ken, right? Not to mention the calming satisfaction of a perfectly timed "haduken". I'm never gonna stop playing games like these, and i hope i'm not alone in saying that. i just wanted to get other's views on the beat-em up legacy. Highlights, favourites, etc. The kids of tomorrow will never quite understand why these games were so popular, but as long as people enjoy them, who the hell cares?
Mon 04/07/05 at 17:40
Regular
"Shizzel happens"
played tekken 5. i just can't but help feel like something is missing from it. its got the same tekken formula, great graphics, nice new characters and such, its just it doesn't quite feel how i expected it to feel. i know it sounds weird, i was just expecting a little more ya know?
Thu 16/06/05 at 12:46
"period drama"
The only thing I don't like about it is the 'character creation' idea they're going to have. I think it would kinda ruin things - as in beat-em-ups the characters are the main attraction, it just seems ... I dunno ... wrong to be making your own.
Wed 15/06/05 at 19:29
Regular
"Shizzel happens"
hmm not too sure about tekken 5. i think it will be a solid title, just nothing ground breaking. its a great idea to put 1,2 and 3 in the game too, for those that missed out. I'm also a bit sceptical about SC3. from what i've seen, the new characters look great, but the whole game doesn't look too much different than SC2. lets just hope it gets a UK release first.
Tue 14/06/05 at 20:44
"period drama"
One of my favourite gaming memories ever is playing Tekken 2 for about 5 hours non-stop on a tiny black and white telly, and doing every move for every character and their 10-hit-combos. 'Twas fun.

And, of course, many Street Fighter afternoons.

These days I think Soul Calibur has everything covered - SCII was a top-class game, far outstripping anything near it. I think the world has moved on from Tekken now, unless 5 manages to pull something out of the hat, and none of the others really came close.

SCIII is going to be amazing, though.
Tue 14/06/05 at 20:34
Regular
"Shizzel happens"
At a time when the beat-em up genre is perhaps facing a "calm before the storm" scenario, i just wanted to voice (or type) my opinions on the genre itself. Nowadays, it just seems that people are less interested in beat-em up games.

The gaming world is changing, but at times i wish it wasn't. Ever since unwrapping Street fighter 2 from underneath the Christmas tree when i was 4, i've always love beat-em ups. i used to spend hour after hour practising, so that when my mates came round i could pummel them to a bleeding pulp. There is nothing better than hearing the purest words of "perfect" followed by the babbeling of "It's not my fault the controller was stuck" etc. After SF2, there was the age of Mortal Kombat. The soundclip of "finish him" still echo's in my skull.

Then things started getting three dimensional. On the PSX, games like Tekken and Street Fighter Alpha were released and people began to fall in love with beat-em ups all over again. Tekken 3 is hailed by many as the greatest beat-em up of all time, combining intriguing characters, the perfect balance of speed and style and a list of moves, so long that boredom seemed an impossibility. Even Nintendo's mascots couldn't keep away from the action, when Super Smash Brothers was released on the N64.

Soul Calibur, another game hailed by many as the king of fighters. The DC game revolusionised the genre with its slick yet rapid style of gameplay. Capcom were still proving they were the daddies of 2D fighters, releasing the hugely anticipated Street Fighter 3.

The current generation aren't without their fair share of gems too, including Soul Calibur 2, Virtua Fighter 4 and DOA 4. On the horizon we have Tekken 5, and ofcourse Soul Calibur 3, which i'm sure will be worth the wait.

The beat-em up genre just ain't what it used to be. Whenever my parents couldn't be bothered to raise me, they would stick me in front of Street fighter 2 or Virtua fighter. Who needs love and adoration when you have the likes of Ryu and Ken, right? Not to mention the calming satisfaction of a perfectly timed "haduken". I'm never gonna stop playing games like these, and i hope i'm not alone in saying that. i just wanted to get other's views on the beat-em up legacy. Highlights, favourites, etc. The kids of tomorrow will never quite understand why these games were so popular, but as long as people enjoy them, who the hell cares?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.