GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"E-Mail Attatchments & Freeola."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 05/09/03 at 20:15
Regular
"It's Only Me"
What on earth is going on with the Freeola E-mail server.
Every time I get an e-mail with an attatchment they keep removing them.
I'm getting totally p***** off with it.
I have been waiting 3 days now for some important information & it was finally sent to me tonight. However, Freeola, has F***** everything up for me by removing this vital attatchment I needed.
It was only an ".xls" document, I could have understood if it was an ".exe" file. This also happened a few days ago with a ".doc" file aswell.
I now have to wait untill monday to get it re-sent.
Thanks Freeola for losing me a weekends worth of work.
Wed 10/09/03 at 08:19
Regular
"\\"
A mod with now power... HA
Tue 09/09/03 at 18:08
"Are you sure?"
Hello freeola-moderator I didn't know you existed ;)

I've been trying to raise the standards in this Forum by requesting users to give a descriptive subject title when they start a new post. Hopefully you've seen my posts if you are the freeola-moderator!
This would help all the people interested in the subjects discussed in this forum. Any chance of some support from you ? i.e. When someone starts a new post with a meaninless title such as "Help" or "Meh????" are you able to re-word it so that it helps others ?
Awaiting your response !!!
Mod!
Mon 08/09/03 at 14:36
"www.Freeola.info"
As a point of reference, the only thing our mail servers are blocking is any any .pif attachment. This is the methid the Sobig.f is using to propogate.

Due to the nature of this virus, it is actually killing the POP accounts of people who are running uptodate virus guards as well as those who arn't.

Thier POP accounts are getting filled up with thousands of e-mails containing the virus and also bounce back warning from e-mails sent from other PC's spoofing the mail as being sent from them. There is just to much mail for them to download.

To prevent this from further affecting Freeola users, We are now blocking and returning all mail being sent to the Freeola servers with these .pif attachments.

This should not affect many/if any users as who actually sends .pif files. If you do need to, just Zip it up first and then send it.
Mon 08/09/03 at 14:24
"www.Freeola.info"
We are not removing any attachments from your e-mails. IT is your own security settings in Outlook/Outlook Express on your PC that is doing this, not the Freeola servers!

You should never accept e-mails with these attachments even if you do know who they are from. One of the main methods of viruses propogating is via a macro added to the file. When you open it the macro activates and infects your PC. Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Access files can contain macros.

The person sending the e-mail should first .ZIP the file up befor sending it you you. Then you can unzip it and read the file. A virus would not beable to zip the file, so generally speeking it is a LOT safer.
Fri 05/09/03 at 20:41
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Try zipping it?

.doc files can have malicious macros in them although it is harsh to not allow them to be sent...
Fri 05/09/03 at 20:15
Regular
"It's Only Me"
What on earth is going on with the Freeola E-mail server.
Every time I get an e-mail with an attatchment they keep removing them.
I'm getting totally p***** off with it.
I have been waiting 3 days now for some important information & it was finally sent to me tonight. However, Freeola, has F***** everything up for me by removing this vital attatchment I needed.
It was only an ".xls" document, I could have understood if it was an ".exe" file. This also happened a few days ago with a ".doc" file aswell.
I now have to wait untill monday to get it re-sent.
Thanks Freeola for losing me a weekends worth of work.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.