GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Zombies, blood, gore, swords, gunplay and bucket loads of cool…"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 01/09/03 at 21:47
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Versus.

Having known a little about this film for some time, and hearing it mentioned on here a few times, I finally picked up a copy on dvd the other day, and all I can say is, if you like any of the words mentioned in the title of this post, then this film is for you.
It’s a Japanese action horror flick that totally kicks ass.

Plot (which is paper thin): A couple of escaped convicts meet up with some Yakuza dudes in an eerie forest. Things go pear-shaped and there’s a standoff, which lead to some killing and the appearance of a zombie.
The groups head into the forest but encounter more zombies, who are in fact long dead Yakuza victims, so more killing happens.
Then some more crazy characters come into it and there’s plenty more killing.
That’s about it for the plot really.

Imagine:

Leather-clad anti-hero killing zombie Yakuza warriors with swords/machine-guns/two gun John Woo style.
Absolutely loads of blood, with zombies being cut/shot to pieces.
Fast paced, stylish camera shots.
No dodgy CG which sometimes mars these sorts of foreign films.
Complete style over substance action.

Buy it if you’re hard enough.
Mon 01/09/03 at 21:47
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Versus.

Having known a little about this film for some time, and hearing it mentioned on here a few times, I finally picked up a copy on dvd the other day, and all I can say is, if you like any of the words mentioned in the title of this post, then this film is for you.
It’s a Japanese action horror flick that totally kicks ass.

Plot (which is paper thin): A couple of escaped convicts meet up with some Yakuza dudes in an eerie forest. Things go pear-shaped and there’s a standoff, which lead to some killing and the appearance of a zombie.
The groups head into the forest but encounter more zombies, who are in fact long dead Yakuza victims, so more killing happens.
Then some more crazy characters come into it and there’s plenty more killing.
That’s about it for the plot really.

Imagine:

Leather-clad anti-hero killing zombie Yakuza warriors with swords/machine-guns/two gun John Woo style.
Absolutely loads of blood, with zombies being cut/shot to pieces.
Fast paced, stylish camera shots.
No dodgy CG which sometimes mars these sorts of foreign films.
Complete style over substance action.

Buy it if you’re hard enough.
Fri 05/09/03 at 19:55
Regular
Sounds good. Like Resident Evil the movie with some sort of motive, paper thin as it may be.

Is it awfully dubbed like a lot of Japanese films are?
Fri 05/09/03 at 20:23
Regular
"That's right!"
Yeah my mate was telling me about it. I'm gonna look into it (since I'm doing my own zombie film in November)
Fri 05/09/03 at 20:32
Regular
Part of a Uni course of something Mojo?
Mon 08/09/03 at 11:01
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
4Father wrote:
> Is it awfully dubbed like a lot of Japanese films are?

Dunno, the English region 2 version only has Japanese language with English subtitles. This is probably a good thing, as the dubbing on these kinds of films does tend to be naff.
For example: The uncut Dutch version of 'Ichi the Killer' dvd has some crazy sounding Dutch dubbing, and the recently released Jackie Chan dvd 'Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars' has THE worst English dub i've ever heard.

I think it's usually best to stick with the original language with subs, providing you can read.

Once again though, Versus is a top film.
There's a trailer here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0275773/trailers
Mon 08/09/03 at 11:06
Regular
Knew before I entered the thread that you'd be talking about Versus.

Strangely though, I didn't think that much of the film. It's got all the elements in there that I like, but I just found it a bit dull and monotonous. There were a lot of cool fighting scenes in there, but I never really got into it.

For a far superior Asian Zombie film check out Junk, or if you have a taste for the weird try Wild Zero.
Mon 08/09/03 at 11:24
Regular
"That's right!"
Mindfuc wrote:
> Part of a Uni course of something Mojo?

-------

Na, doing it for fun. Want to make films, now's as good a time as any to start.
Mon 08/09/03 at 12:04
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> For a far superior Asian Zombie film check out Junk, or if you have a
> taste for the weird try Wild Zero.

I just read a description of Wild Zero. Jeez that sounds mad.
Junk sounds good too.

The trouble with these sorts of more extreme films is trying to find whether you definitely have the best uncut versions available.
I've had bad experiences in the past with a couple of region 1 Jackie Chan films (not extreme films I know) but they were so "Americanised", with new opening and ending credits and generally being cut to pieces missing sequences and new music tracks.

A special edition version of Zombi 2 comes out on dvd soon too. (Am I correct in thinking that's the film also known as Zombie Flesh Eaters?)
Mon 08/09/03 at 16:36
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Wild Zero is most definately very mad. I can't decide if I liked it or not. Hmm..Let's go with yes.

I watched Versus a while ago too, quite enjoyed it, though some bits did drag a little. Great fights though, and pretty much what I expected to find having read a little about it. Still, recommended if you don't fancy anything too challenging for the ageing grey matter =)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.