GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Can anyone recommend a good DVD player, Region Free, VCR Friendly, Dual Voltage US and UK"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 31/08/03 at 04:14
Regular
"OLD Newbie"
Hi I need to buy a Region Free, VCR Friendly (Macrovision Free), Dual Voltage DVD player for my family in the UK so I can send them baby Video CDs and Movies from the US.

The Region Free and Macro Free is a must have as the only way to connect this thing up to my parents ageing TV would be through their old VCR with its composite and SVHS inputs.

Dual Voltage US and UK would be nice but is not essential, as I can just buy a transformer.

Lord of The Rings the Two Towers came out here two days ago, what a great movie. Should have waited for the extended edition DVD though.

Anyway any ideas?
Sun 31/08/03 at 04:14
Regular
"OLD Newbie"
Hi I need to buy a Region Free, VCR Friendly (Macrovision Free), Dual Voltage DVD player for my family in the UK so I can send them baby Video CDs and Movies from the US.

The Region Free and Macro Free is a must have as the only way to connect this thing up to my parents ageing TV would be through their old VCR with its composite and SVHS inputs.

Dual Voltage US and UK would be nice but is not essential, as I can just buy a transformer.

Lord of The Rings the Two Towers came out here two days ago, what a great movie. Should have waited for the extended edition DVD though.

Anyway any ideas?
Sun 31/08/03 at 09:55
"possibly impossible"
Either:

Superdrug are selling off their last few DVD players for £39.99, which can be region unlocked and, I think, macrovision unlocked.

SR, of course, having the already unlocked DVD players here. Or, check out Techtronics.com
Sun 31/08/03 at 19:46
Regular
"OLD Newbie"
Thanks for the help.
Sun 31/08/03 at 22:30
pb, out of the following DVD players which would you recommend? Im looking for a cheap multi-region DVD player to replace playing DVDs on my PS2; and also for the added DVD-R playback etc.

So, which would you recommend out of these:

http://uk.special.reserve.co.uk/ [SPACE] search/special.php?ty=DVDh&sortorder=2a

(the ones £70 and under...)

Cheers
Sun 31/08/03 at 23:09
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Why? go to www.dvdrhelp.com as it has a long list of most DVD players and tells you what there like and what they can do. So search for each one and see if theres anything one can do that the others cant. Also do you want 5.1? As some players may not have the optical link, or lack other connections you want to use.
Mon 01/09/03 at 15:49
Regular
"OLD Newbie"
Thanks for the tips, 5.1 would be nice but its only for my parents ageing set so I doubt they'll be connecting it to any Surround sound system any time soon.
Tue 02/09/03 at 18:34
Cheers adrian, will do.
Tue 02/09/03 at 21:19
"possibly impossible"
The more you pay the better sound and vision you get, usually. But if you are watching DVDs on an old TV, or even a fairly new one that doesn't have 100hz mode on it (you'd know because it would have been the biggest selling point of the TV and made it a lot more expensive) and you're not really fussy about the sound (and most people I know can't tell the difference) then the 2 cheaper models from SR are perfect.
Tue 02/09/03 at 22:46
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Personnally I would either go for the Cyberhome(£64.99) or the Arianet(£69.99). Both do RCE movies when the 2 Ronin players don't state that they can, so they may have trouble playing RCE. Both have built in 5.1 Decoder so you only need to spend £60 on a set of 5.1 speakers to get 5.1. So for a bit extra money your going to get a player that can play RCE and decode 5.1, the £60 Ronin has a 5.1 decoder but doesnt state that it can play RCE.

The Arianet also plays a few more types of disc even though those extras arent common. Also feature Progressive scan if you own a good TV that can do that. I think either the Cyberhome or Arianet should be the choice if you want a cheap DVD player.

pb thats usually true. My friend has a DVD player that cost quite a bit, his parents bought it him for christmas it was a Toshiba, just a region 2 player. Now his plays DVDs ok but cant play VCDs, well it can but the sound is out of sync. These cheap players that are only £70 have just a good a picture as a £300 Sony player or what ever. The expensive player is going to be better, but not by much. Also the cheap players usually deal with VCD, SVCD, DVDRs much better. My friend has a old £500 Sony DVD player and it only plays DVDs and thats about it. And with 5.1 sound kits dealing with the sound then I dont think theres a issue there either. If you use the TV speakers you dont get brilliant sound from them anyway, unless you got a big screen with seperate speakers.

Cheap DVD players are definately worth the money. I spend £120 on my Yelo 800 over a year ago and have been 100% happy. If I had to get another player I think it would be the Cyberhome or Arianet, maybe one of the Kiss players as playing Xvid and Divx would be nice.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.