GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare'.
Tue 09/06/09 at 11:30
Regular
"How Ironic"
World War Two wasn’t known for the greatest of weapons. Guns like the Browning and the M16 were classics, and for their time, were great, but for a computer game, they don’t quite cut it. Slower fire rates, longer reload times and less accuracy. In the Call of Duty series, all of the games up to Call of Duty 3 have been World War 2. Then Infinity Ward decided to change the pattern, not by going backwards, but forwards to modern warfare. We’re talking night-vision goggles, .50 Cal Barrett’s, and Jets fast enough to make Hitler blush. This is a great step in the series, as the Call of Duty series has been a great success, its only major competitor being Medal of Honour. Until November 2007, there probably still a great rivalry, until Electronic Arts was blown out of the water by Infinity Ward’s Call of Duty 4. Selling overall 13 million copies, Call of Duty 4 has sold the most games in the series, and it was the most bought game in 2007, selling 7 million copies. Don’t get me wrong, Medal of Honour is still a successful series, but it is no where near the scale that Call of Duty is on now.

So, down to the game itself. I began by playing the single player campaign. As with a lot of games, you begin on a sort of training level, which lets you learn the controls as you go. I say a sort of training level because you still get an Xbox 360 achievement for completing it, so it is still a normal level, but it is set in a military training ground.
So during this level you will learn how to shoot with a primary weapon, and then a secondary weapon, the pistol. You’re given a bit of advice which I’ve remembered during the game, which is “It is quicker to use your pistol than to reload”. In other words, if you’re in a one on one combat situation, and you need to reload, it is best to send a couple of bullets towards your opponent, using your pistol, then spend a couple of seconds reloading, by which time, you may be dead.
Show Spoiler

I won’t spoil the rest of the game and what it’s levels consist of, but the levels are usually your basic ‘move towards the objective’, which you will use your HUD for. There maybe a couple of objectives in a mission for you to complete, and missions obviously don’t always go to plan. In some cases, you may have a second to make a decision otherwise you’re a dead man.
Show Spoiler

Graphically, Infinity Ward have made a great looking game. One of my favourite effects is the smoke. It rises steadily, and isn’t just one shade of grey, like a lot of games. The fire effects are amazing. The characters look genuine (obviously no clones are noticeable in the game; what do you think this is, World War Two?)
The surroundings are breathtaking, whether it be the distant, yet beautiful hills or the giant, rolling seas.

Interestingly, Infinity Ward didn’t choose a current war-torn location as the setting for the game, primarily looking at the middle east here, countries like Iraq and Afghanistan. Instead the game takes place in Azerbaijan, Russia, Prypiat, Ukraine and also other parts of the Middle East. You are, as usual, on the ‘Western side’, and take control of a US Marine, and British SAS Commando.
Show Spoiler

As I said before, weaponry has moved on from the Brownings and the M16’s. You’ll be playing with the likes of M4A1 Carbine and the MP5SD. My personal favourite is the FGM-148 Javelin, which is a sort of RPG, but is more useful. You can hit targets that aren’t in sight, by locking onto them and firing. A rocket will fire out, and then break open, launching another rocket way into the air, before it comes crashing down onto the targeted foe. This is useful for getting around buildings and structures.

Multiplayer is probably the biggest part of this game. You start of as Level 1, with access to only 3 classes, the worst weapons and the worst perks. Slowly, you begin to advance in level and gain better weapons and perks. Unlike Call of Duty 5, where there is a special multiplayer section for everyone under level 8, you’re thrown straight into combat with the level 55’s and their silenced guns with red dot sights. It gets frustrating when you first start off, because you will die a lot, being equipped with the worst guns. What I’ve found useful as a tip, and this won’t apply to everyone, but it’s easier to begin as a sniper, as you can stay out of close combat, where the level 55 will destroy you with his M4A1 Carbine, and shoot him in the head with a well timed shot from a distance, leaving you alive and giving you experience aswell. Once you’ve reached a higher level, you’ll have unlocked more close combat weapons, which you can the start to use.

In conclusion, I’ve got to say that this game is one of the best, as you only have to look at the awards it’s been given, and the statistics that it has achieved. It will be interesting to see how Modern Warfare 2 does in the market, as it will either be a great flop, not living up to expectations of ‘a greater Call of Duty 4’, or it will be another great hit for Infinity Ward. Call of Duty 4 is certainly a great hit for Infinity Ward, with it’s great gameplay, great graphics, great authenticity and great success. If you’re wondering wether to get this game, you’ve got to ask yourself, can 13 million people be wrong?

Game Rating: 9/10
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Tue 09/06/09 at 11:30
Regular
"How Ironic"
World War Two wasn’t known for the greatest of weapons. Guns like the Browning and the M16 were classics, and for their time, were great, but for a computer game, they don’t quite cut it. Slower fire rates, longer reload times and less accuracy. In the Call of Duty series, all of the games up to Call of Duty 3 have been World War 2. Then Infinity Ward decided to change the pattern, not by going backwards, but forwards to modern warfare. We’re talking night-vision goggles, .50 Cal Barrett’s, and Jets fast enough to make Hitler blush. This is a great step in the series, as the Call of Duty series has been a great success, its only major competitor being Medal of Honour. Until November 2007, there probably still a great rivalry, until Electronic Arts was blown out of the water by Infinity Ward’s Call of Duty 4. Selling overall 13 million copies, Call of Duty 4 has sold the most games in the series, and it was the most bought game in 2007, selling 7 million copies. Don’t get me wrong, Medal of Honour is still a successful series, but it is no where near the scale that Call of Duty is on now.

So, down to the game itself. I began by playing the single player campaign. As with a lot of games, you begin on a sort of training level, which lets you learn the controls as you go. I say a sort of training level because you still get an Xbox 360 achievement for completing it, so it is still a normal level, but it is set in a military training ground.
So during this level you will learn how to shoot with a primary weapon, and then a secondary weapon, the pistol. You’re given a bit of advice which I’ve remembered during the game, which is “It is quicker to use your pistol than to reload”. In other words, if you’re in a one on one combat situation, and you need to reload, it is best to send a couple of bullets towards your opponent, using your pistol, then spend a couple of seconds reloading, by which time, you may be dead.
Show Spoiler

I won’t spoil the rest of the game and what it’s levels consist of, but the levels are usually your basic ‘move towards the objective’, which you will use your HUD for. There maybe a couple of objectives in a mission for you to complete, and missions obviously don’t always go to plan. In some cases, you may have a second to make a decision otherwise you’re a dead man.
Show Spoiler

Graphically, Infinity Ward have made a great looking game. One of my favourite effects is the smoke. It rises steadily, and isn’t just one shade of grey, like a lot of games. The fire effects are amazing. The characters look genuine (obviously no clones are noticeable in the game; what do you think this is, World War Two?)
The surroundings are breathtaking, whether it be the distant, yet beautiful hills or the giant, rolling seas.

Interestingly, Infinity Ward didn’t choose a current war-torn location as the setting for the game, primarily looking at the middle east here, countries like Iraq and Afghanistan. Instead the game takes place in Azerbaijan, Russia, Prypiat, Ukraine and also other parts of the Middle East. You are, as usual, on the ‘Western side’, and take control of a US Marine, and British SAS Commando.
Show Spoiler

As I said before, weaponry has moved on from the Brownings and the M16’s. You’ll be playing with the likes of M4A1 Carbine and the MP5SD. My personal favourite is the FGM-148 Javelin, which is a sort of RPG, but is more useful. You can hit targets that aren’t in sight, by locking onto them and firing. A rocket will fire out, and then break open, launching another rocket way into the air, before it comes crashing down onto the targeted foe. This is useful for getting around buildings and structures.

Multiplayer is probably the biggest part of this game. You start of as Level 1, with access to only 3 classes, the worst weapons and the worst perks. Slowly, you begin to advance in level and gain better weapons and perks. Unlike Call of Duty 5, where there is a special multiplayer section for everyone under level 8, you’re thrown straight into combat with the level 55’s and their silenced guns with red dot sights. It gets frustrating when you first start off, because you will die a lot, being equipped with the worst guns. What I’ve found useful as a tip, and this won’t apply to everyone, but it’s easier to begin as a sniper, as you can stay out of close combat, where the level 55 will destroy you with his M4A1 Carbine, and shoot him in the head with a well timed shot from a distance, leaving you alive and giving you experience aswell. Once you’ve reached a higher level, you’ll have unlocked more close combat weapons, which you can the start to use.

In conclusion, I’ve got to say that this game is one of the best, as you only have to look at the awards it’s been given, and the statistics that it has achieved. It will be interesting to see how Modern Warfare 2 does in the market, as it will either be a great flop, not living up to expectations of ‘a greater Call of Duty 4’, or it will be another great hit for Infinity Ward. Call of Duty 4 is certainly a great hit for Infinity Ward, with it’s great gameplay, great graphics, great authenticity and great success. If you’re wondering wether to get this game, you’ve got to ask yourself, can 13 million people be wrong?

Game Rating: 9/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.