GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Colours (Short Story)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 28/08/03 at 16:15
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Something different here. Not my usual type of stories, and I had no idea what came over me to write it. I think I like it though. Ah well. Give it a read and tell me what you think.

Dan didn’t really know what he was looking for, but he knew that he had nearly found it. He had devoted years of his life to this, trying to find something that didn’t have a name. It was in Dan, in his blood, in his body, in his very soul. And he was lacking some of it, like it wasn’t really whole. He knew from a very early age that it was his destiny to find this material, this object, this state, this thing that was in him. And now he was nearly there. Oh, it hadn’t been easy at the start, in fact it had been very hard. His parents thought he was crazy and had him put away in a home. He couldn’t live there all his life, and so he had escaped, not an easy thing to do either but he had found a way. Knock an attendant over the head hard enough, get his uniform and walk out. That was easier said than done though, and escaping from the police was hardest. Still, he had made it, and he had found an old wooden hunting shed up in these mountains, hidden from view and curious eyes by trees and snow, and he had made this place his home. He was self sufficient, hunting deer with his bow and arrows, gathering firewood and creating water from melted snow. He sometimes needed materials though, so occasionally he would get things from town.
Now however, he was sure he had the mixture right. All the chemicals he needed he had. He didn’t even know the properties and uses for most of them, but it was this thing inside him that directed him to get the right ones. And now it was time. He was sitting outside now, enjoying a cup of coffee and letting the gently wafting steam tickle his frosty nostrils. The mixture was in the hut boiling and stewing, it will nearly be done. Drinking down the last of the coffee, Dan heaved himself up and wandered into the shack. Sure enough, the purple mixture was sitting in the boiling tube ready for him. He poured it all into an earthenware cup, swallowed, preparing himself, and drunk deep.
He could feel the uniqueness of it all the way down his throat to his stomach, a pleasant, warm sensation, like tea or coffee but much longer lasting. Sitting down on a chair, he felt himself loosen up, and become relaxed, carefree and then his eyes fuzz over, and droop, lower, lower, lower until they closed completely. All he could see now was a black screen for a few minutes, and he thought he had failed again in the mixture until bright colour specs began appearing, flashing across the darkness like shooting stars, but leaving trails. So many flashed across the screen until there was no dark left, just a myriad of colours, all different, even colours Dan had never witnessed before. Orange, purple, blues, reds, greens, pinks, magnolias, violets, whites, yellows, burgundies and thousands more littered the screen. Then, all of this faded, until it was dim, and Dan felt himself lift up, like he was floating. Slowly first, and then faster, faster, faster, faster until he stopped dead, and instead of going up started to travel forward, so fast now that he could hear the wind in his ears, and feel his hair ruffling in the wind. But he was not cold, and the air was warm and pleasant, yet not humid or sticky. He slowed down, and came to a stop, then began to ascend down, down, down until he felt his feet on solid earth underneath him. But when Dan opened his eyes, he saw that it was not solid earth at all, but he was on some sort of platform, high up in the sky, looking down on the planet below him. He marvelled at its beauty, of the green forests, the white mountains, the blue oceans, the orange deserts. Dan gave a long satisfied sigh. He was home.
Thu 28/08/03 at 16:15
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Something different here. Not my usual type of stories, and I had no idea what came over me to write it. I think I like it though. Ah well. Give it a read and tell me what you think.

Dan didn’t really know what he was looking for, but he knew that he had nearly found it. He had devoted years of his life to this, trying to find something that didn’t have a name. It was in Dan, in his blood, in his body, in his very soul. And he was lacking some of it, like it wasn’t really whole. He knew from a very early age that it was his destiny to find this material, this object, this state, this thing that was in him. And now he was nearly there. Oh, it hadn’t been easy at the start, in fact it had been very hard. His parents thought he was crazy and had him put away in a home. He couldn’t live there all his life, and so he had escaped, not an easy thing to do either but he had found a way. Knock an attendant over the head hard enough, get his uniform and walk out. That was easier said than done though, and escaping from the police was hardest. Still, he had made it, and he had found an old wooden hunting shed up in these mountains, hidden from view and curious eyes by trees and snow, and he had made this place his home. He was self sufficient, hunting deer with his bow and arrows, gathering firewood and creating water from melted snow. He sometimes needed materials though, so occasionally he would get things from town.
Now however, he was sure he had the mixture right. All the chemicals he needed he had. He didn’t even know the properties and uses for most of them, but it was this thing inside him that directed him to get the right ones. And now it was time. He was sitting outside now, enjoying a cup of coffee and letting the gently wafting steam tickle his frosty nostrils. The mixture was in the hut boiling and stewing, it will nearly be done. Drinking down the last of the coffee, Dan heaved himself up and wandered into the shack. Sure enough, the purple mixture was sitting in the boiling tube ready for him. He poured it all into an earthenware cup, swallowed, preparing himself, and drunk deep.
He could feel the uniqueness of it all the way down his throat to his stomach, a pleasant, warm sensation, like tea or coffee but much longer lasting. Sitting down on a chair, he felt himself loosen up, and become relaxed, carefree and then his eyes fuzz over, and droop, lower, lower, lower until they closed completely. All he could see now was a black screen for a few minutes, and he thought he had failed again in the mixture until bright colour specs began appearing, flashing across the darkness like shooting stars, but leaving trails. So many flashed across the screen until there was no dark left, just a myriad of colours, all different, even colours Dan had never witnessed before. Orange, purple, blues, reds, greens, pinks, magnolias, violets, whites, yellows, burgundies and thousands more littered the screen. Then, all of this faded, until it was dim, and Dan felt himself lift up, like he was floating. Slowly first, and then faster, faster, faster, faster until he stopped dead, and instead of going up started to travel forward, so fast now that he could hear the wind in his ears, and feel his hair ruffling in the wind. But he was not cold, and the air was warm and pleasant, yet not humid or sticky. He slowed down, and came to a stop, then began to ascend down, down, down until he felt his feet on solid earth underneath him. But when Dan opened his eyes, he saw that it was not solid earth at all, but he was on some sort of platform, high up in the sky, looking down on the planet below him. He marvelled at its beauty, of the green forests, the white mountains, the blue oceans, the orange deserts. Dan gave a long satisfied sigh. He was home.
Thu 28/08/03 at 16:26
"Darkness, always"
I'll tell you what came over you. this:

http://ukchatforums.reserve.co.uk/display_messages.php? threadid=82564&forumid=423

A story I wrote months ago that I recently posted on the forums.

*shakes fist*

Go find your own inspiration, scum!
Thu 28/08/03 at 16:29
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Eh?
Thu 28/08/03 at 16:33
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Looky here. The two stories are similar in several aspects, but I did not copy yours. I do not copy stories and I never will copy stories. A story is someones passion, their fire, and you can't steal that. Its like stealing their soul. So, I apologise if you think I stole this, and if you want you can ask a staff member to delete it for you, as I won't mind.
Thu 28/08/03 at 16:37
"Darkness, always"
Similar?

SIMLAR!??!!

Looking for something for long time.
Rejected by family
Thought to be crazy
Isolated on out of the way home
Suddenly found the answer
Sees everything differently
Floats away to the skies.

Maybe it's just me, but you've taken the entirety of my story, removed the concept of paragraphs and re-worded it in your own style to include some LSD trip. I'm seriously offended.
Thu 28/08/03 at 16:41
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> Similar?
>
> SIMLAR!??!!
>
> Looking for something for long time.
> Rejected by family
> Thought to be crazy
> Isolated on out of the way home
> Suddenly found the answer
> Sees everything differently
> Floats away to the skies.
>
> Maybe it's just me, but you've taken the entirety of my story,
> removed the concept of paragraphs and re-worded it in your own style
> to include some LSD trip. I'm seriously offended.

It isn't LSD. Well, it might be, I actually don't know. But I've never read the other story until now. I don't mean to offend you and if I was copying your story, then I wouldn't be stupid enough to post it here, knowing that you are a member, and seeing you about today.
Thu 28/08/03 at 16:41
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
FIGHT!
FIGHT!

How's your story about an apprentice turning to the dark side coming IB?
Thu 28/08/03 at 16:42
"Darkness, always"
I'll be the judge of how stupid you are you squalid little peasant.
Thu 28/08/03 at 16:44
"Darkness, always"
Goatboy wrote:
> How's your story about an apprentice turning to the dark side coming
> IB?

Abandonded/Evolved/Split into two separate stories.

Because of your comments I'm avoiding any references that could be, however dubiously, linked to commonly known Star Wars/Trek/Potter material.
Thu 28/08/03 at 16:44
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Hurrah!
It still needs lesbian dragons with nipple-tassles.
And a wolf.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.