GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Project Natal Specs and Chat"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 04/06/09 at 13:00
"possibly impossible"
From Wikipedia:

"Project Natal (pronounced "na-tall"(IPA: [naˈtal])) is the code name for a "controller-free gaming and entertainment experience" by Microsoft for the Xbox 360 video game platform. Based on an add-on peripheral for the Xbox 360 console, Project Natal enables users to control and interact with the Xbox 360 without the need to touch a game controller, through gestures, spoken commands,or presented objects and images. The project is aimed at broadening the Xbox 360's audience beyond the hardcore base. Project Natal was first announced June 1 at the 2009 Electronic Entertainment Expo. Microsoft said that over 1000 development kits began shipping to game developers that same day. Microsoft has not revealed any price or release date information for Project Natal.

Sensor device
An approximately nine-inch (23 cm) wide horizontal bar connected to a small circular base with a ball joint pivot, the Project Natal sensor is designed to be positioned lengthwise above or below the video display. The device features an "RGB camera, depth sensor, multi-array microphone, and custom processor running proprietary software", which provides full-body 3D motion capture, facial recognition, and voice recognition capabilities. The Project Natal sensor's microphone array enables the Xbox 360 to conduct acoustic source localization and ambient noise suppression, allowing for things such as headset-free party chat over Xbox Live.

The depth sensor consists of an infrared projector combined with a monochrome CMOS sensor, and allows the Project Natal sensor to see in 3D under any lighting conditions. Project Natal is reportedly based on software technology developed internally by Microsoft (gesture recognition, skeletal mapping, facial recognition, voice recognition) and hardware technology acquired by time-of-flight camera developer 3DV Systems. Before agreeing to sell all its assets in March 2009, 3DV had been preparing a similar device, known as the ZCam."

Interesting stuff.

This means that there is a custom processor doing all the hard work which leaves the core to get on with the games based stuff. With this in mind it may actually work as well as Microsoft and Lionhead say.

However, bearing in mind that these videos are pretty much tech demos and that the first reports from people who've tried this (such as Eurogamer have shown that Milo, the interactive boy , isn't quite as interactive as the team made out, I still think this could have a lot of potential for bringing more 360 units into the living room.

All that remains to be seen is the cost, availability and the software available. But with Microsoft's clout and contacts there should be a fair few interested third parties already starting to get their hands on the tech.
Fri 05/06/09 at 15:28
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Microsoft have pretty much said that they aren't replacing controllers, they are just giving you a enhanced play experience.

I really think the voice recognition and interactivity could be used in a majority of genres. Racing games to communicate with the pit lane, shooters to communicate with your AI teammates, detective interrogations or even more violent interrogations if that is your thing, infiltration games in which you communicate with a group outside the building to give you live updates and help etc. Lots of scope for this part even if they don't bother removing the controller from your hand, which doesn't seem to be Microsoft's intention anyway.
Fri 05/06/09 at 10:44
Regular
I have to say I'm impressed by the videos, but the more I think about it the more I'm not sure how it's going to work with actual games. Sure the voice recognition could be cool, but when playing an FPS, for example, how will you control the walking forward - actually walk on the spot or something? How will you shoot, or change weapons etc?

Waving your hands about to flip around options on the NXE looks a bit crap, to be honest. On the whole I like the idea, I'm just not sure how it's best implemented.
Fri 05/06/09 at 03:07
Regular
see most people shud agri wit u and me cuz wi hav ta same opinion. i know that sounds stalkerish but still
Fri 05/06/09 at 03:05
Regular
i disagree cuz its like you can hav exrsize end stil hav fun.And also if any one who agrees should still play xbox but wit a bring controlr.
Fri 05/06/09 at 02:34
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I think the problem with it is they're trying to have the best tech rather than solve a problem. Something that was very apparent with Nintendo when they first demoed the wii and even with Sony's efforts is that they had a very clear vision of the problems they were trying to solve.
So far they've actually failed to demonstrate how their tech can make games better. After watching a woman stand on a stage flailing her arms and legs around for a few minutes, I dont think anybody was thinking "Wow I cant wait to do that!". The demos have been bizarre in a sense. They were showing a Burnout demo but apparently they'd not worked out how to do speed controls. And the Milo demo which shows unparalleled levels of interactivity is scripted. Its difficult to be optimistic about it when they're walking into limits before they've even started.
And the scepticism isnt helped when you've got Peter Molyneux promising the world (as ever).

Ah well, at least they didnt introduce a pulse sensor.
Fri 05/06/09 at 00:12
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I think it's the voice recognition stuff that is the most exciting for me. For games that feature interrogation and interaction with people in a story setting, just like something like playing a detective, it is something that is worth going into because of the areas it opens up.
Thu 04/06/09 at 23:44
Regular
It certainly reads good but I fear motion sensing technology wont be as amazing as people think.

The current technology on Wii is great, but still requires analogue sticks, etc, to play majority of games without them becomming onrails shooters.

Natal, although being a completely different motion sensing controller, is still limited by various conditions: e.g. the gamer's location (my Xbox is in a small bedroom, I'm restricted even by Wii standards), the game's design, etc.

I don't think traditional controllers can be beaten, but this will certainly add a new edge that the Xbox has been lacking...
Thu 04/06/09 at 16:02
"possibly impossible"
It's certainly good, even without the scripted conversation.
Thu 04/06/09 at 14:38
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Hasn't Lionhead only really been working on Milo for a couple of months with the new tech? It may not be fully interactive but it's very good for a couple of months work.
Thu 04/06/09 at 13:00
"possibly impossible"
From Wikipedia:

"Project Natal (pronounced "na-tall"(IPA: [naˈtal])) is the code name for a "controller-free gaming and entertainment experience" by Microsoft for the Xbox 360 video game platform. Based on an add-on peripheral for the Xbox 360 console, Project Natal enables users to control and interact with the Xbox 360 without the need to touch a game controller, through gestures, spoken commands,or presented objects and images. The project is aimed at broadening the Xbox 360's audience beyond the hardcore base. Project Natal was first announced June 1 at the 2009 Electronic Entertainment Expo. Microsoft said that over 1000 development kits began shipping to game developers that same day. Microsoft has not revealed any price or release date information for Project Natal.

Sensor device
An approximately nine-inch (23 cm) wide horizontal bar connected to a small circular base with a ball joint pivot, the Project Natal sensor is designed to be positioned lengthwise above or below the video display. The device features an "RGB camera, depth sensor, multi-array microphone, and custom processor running proprietary software", which provides full-body 3D motion capture, facial recognition, and voice recognition capabilities. The Project Natal sensor's microphone array enables the Xbox 360 to conduct acoustic source localization and ambient noise suppression, allowing for things such as headset-free party chat over Xbox Live.

The depth sensor consists of an infrared projector combined with a monochrome CMOS sensor, and allows the Project Natal sensor to see in 3D under any lighting conditions. Project Natal is reportedly based on software technology developed internally by Microsoft (gesture recognition, skeletal mapping, facial recognition, voice recognition) and hardware technology acquired by time-of-flight camera developer 3DV Systems. Before agreeing to sell all its assets in March 2009, 3DV had been preparing a similar device, known as the ZCam."

Interesting stuff.

This means that there is a custom processor doing all the hard work which leaves the core to get on with the games based stuff. With this in mind it may actually work as well as Microsoft and Lionhead say.

However, bearing in mind that these videos are pretty much tech demos and that the first reports from people who've tried this (such as Eurogamer have shown that Milo, the interactive boy , isn't quite as interactive as the team made out, I still think this could have a lot of potential for bringing more 360 units into the living room.

All that remains to be seen is the cost, availability and the software available. But with Microsoft's clout and contacts there should be a fair few interested third parties already starting to get their hands on the tech.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.