GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Re direct"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 04/06/09 at 08:50
Regular
Ok sorry to ask this one as I can see there are answers on this subject but I dont quite understand them.

I have a number of pages on google which are no longer there as I moved to instant pro to start again.

Will it hurt just leaving them there? will they just fall down the rankings and disappear?

Some of the pages I wont be reproducing. Do I need to redirect them?
Thu 04/06/09 at 11:03
Regular
Done good idea thanks
Thu 04/06/09 at 10:46
Regular
Dograt wrote:
> TDC?

I guess not :D You just share the same nickname - not to worry.
Thu 04/06/09 at 10:32
"Are you sure?"
Dograt - we posted at the same time...

Did my comment about putting your domain in your profile make sense?

Search Freeola Chat My Freeola Instant Site
Thu 04/06/09 at 10:30
Regular
Thanks again people

Great help

TDC?
Thu 04/06/09 at 10:30
"Are you sure?"
I think Dograt is probably talking about his 'pest control' website.

Using the Google site: command this shows a number of old page references - which now take visitors to the new home page due to the 'Instant' redirect that's in place. So it looks like the old domain name was moved to an Instant site.

Dograt: It would be worth putting your domain name in your MyFreeola user profile so people can see the domain you are referring to...

Search Freeola Chat My Freeola Instant Site
Thu 04/06/09 at 10:18
Regular
Hmmm... wrote:
> t1mmie I think Dograt's site is an 'Instant' one so I don't
> believe he can put a proper 301 redirect (using .htaccess) in
> place...

Dorgrat wrote:
> I have a number of pages on google which are no longer
> there as I moved to instant pro to start again.

I thought he meant he had a site with some pages, but then bought InstantPro and made the site again.

Edit: In which case, he could set up a 301 redirect using .htaccess or a php header at the old site.
Thu 04/06/09 at 09:49
"Are you sure?"
t1mmie I think Dograt's site is an 'Instant' one so I don't believe he can put a proper 301 redirect (using .htaccess) in place...

EDIT:
Dograt asked if he needs to redirect the removed pages.
As far as I can see the Instant sites already have redirection in place. i.e. If a visitor looks for a missing page (either by typing or arriving from a search engine result) then they are 'sent' to your home page.

I wouldn't worry myself - the search engines will re-index your new pages soon enough and any traffic that finds your old missing pages will end up on your home page.

Search Freeola Chat
My Freeola Instant Site
Thu 04/06/09 at 09:34
Regular
Dograt wrote:
> Ok sorry to ask this one as I can see there are answers on this
> subject but I dont quite understand them.
>
> I have a number of pages on google which are no longer there as
> I moved to instant pro to start again.
>
> Will it hurt just leaving them there? will they just fall down
> the rankings and disappear?
>
> Some of the pages I wont be reproducing. Do I need to redirect
> them?

For pages that are the same as before - It would probably be best to use a '301' header redirect to the new locations of the pages.

For older pages that you wont be recreating - you can just leave them and Google will get rid of them in time.

Basically you don't really want to have Google index any duplicate content, so as long as you redirect to your new pages then you'll be fine. It probably wouldn't hurt too much whatever the case - but don't quote me on that :)

Also, do I know you from TDC?!!
Thu 04/06/09 at 08:50
Regular
Ok sorry to ask this one as I can see there are answers on this subject but I dont quite understand them.

I have a number of pages on google which are no longer there as I moved to instant pro to start again.

Will it hurt just leaving them there? will they just fall down the rankings and disappear?

Some of the pages I wont be reproducing. Do I need to redirect them?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.