GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Book blast!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 26/08/03 at 10:26
Regular
I read The Alchemist last night in a couple of hours and today I'm reading Animal Farm. That's the only way I can read books, none of this farting about with bookmarks and leaving it a week before you go back to it. That's why I can't read Lord of the rings - I have to be able to finish it a few hours after I start reading it, or I lose interest. Anway, I read the Alchemist and today I'm reading Animal Farm. What shortish books would you recommend for a quick book blast?
Tue 26/08/03 at 10:26
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I read The Alchemist last night in a couple of hours and today I'm reading Animal Farm. That's the only way I can read books, none of this farting about with bookmarks and leaving it a week before you go back to it. That's why I can't read Lord of the rings - I have to be able to finish it a few hours after I start reading it, or I lose interest. Anway, I read the Alchemist and today I'm reading Animal Farm. What shortish books would you recommend for a quick book blast?
Tue 26/08/03 at 10:45
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
The Outsider by Albert Camus.

Don't ask why. Just read it.
Tue 26/08/03 at 10:48
Regular
"The Red Shift"
i was told to read the alchemist by my sis. she said it was really good.

some short books are brilliant, but others are pure trash.
Tue 26/08/03 at 10:50
"Darth Vader 3442321"
I am Legend by Richard Matheson (I think). You can read that in a couple of sessions.
Tue 26/08/03 at 10:51
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
The Alchemist was in that top 100 books as voted for by the public (not the BBC bookstore's leftovers then?), which is the only reason there was a copy lying about. Same goes for Animal Farm and 1984 - the latter I gave up on because it was so boring and dated. Might give it another go though once I've read a few more books.
Tue 26/08/03 at 10:52
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
The sagacious one wrote:
> I am Legend by Richard Matheson (I think). You can read that in a
> couple of sessions.

Is that the one that got made into the film about the undead people? Charlton Heston?
Tue 26/08/03 at 10:58
"Darth Vader 3442321"
monkey_man wrote:
> The sagacious one wrote:
> I am Legend by Richard Matheson (I think). You can read that in a
> couple of sessions.
>
> Is that the one that got made into the film about the undead people?
> Charlton Heston?

Yup it's about a world full of vampires and one man's struggle to perserve both his humanity and his sanity, as he is the only human left...

It is also sci-fi, as although it is set in the 70's it was written in the 40's. I didn't realise this at the time and when I finished the book I thought to myself "great book but how can they call it sci-fi", then I read the preface.
Tue 26/08/03 at 11:03
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Cool, might look into that. Has it got flying cars with 4 sets of bi-plane wings and talking robot servants dressed a maids?

I read "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep", because I like Blade Runner so much, and found it to be a totally different book to the film. Minority Report is a much better translation of PK (It won't let me say it!)'s humour.
Tue 26/08/03 at 12:33
"Darth Vader 3442321"
monkey_man wrote:
> Cool, might look into that. Has it got flying cars with 4 sets of
> bi-plane wings and talking robot servants dressed a maids?

No it's just amazingly accurate (people drive station wagons and stuff). It would have been cool though if he had envisaged a world with Robot vampires though.
Tue 26/08/03 at 13:24
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Animal Farm rules

Catcher in the Rye is pretty short.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.