GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Upgrading my PC. Might need some help..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 24/08/03 at 09:52
Regular
The time has tome to finally bother to upgrade my PC. I've been putting this off for a year or so due to the demonic complications incited by the worlds 'new motherboard'.

As I'm not *entirely* sure what I'm doing, the more knowledgable of you lot can give me advice. This is what I'm planning to do:

I will keep the monitor, keyboard, mouse, GFX card, sound card, cdrom/hdd, floppy, network card, speakers, and software (OS etc) from my old computer. I will buy a new processor, motherboard, memory, and case. I *think* that covers just about everything.

I'm budgeted at somewhere around £200, no more than £250 tops.

Here's what I've been planning to get so far:

AMD K7 2600+ Socket A CPU & cooler (retail box) (approx £80)
512MB 400Mhz PC3200 184 pin DDR memory module (approx £60)
Asrock K7S8X Socket A motherboard (approx £40)
Virgo Super Midi ATX case (black) with 350W PSU (approx £25)

This lot I can get for £205 (whilst I'm on SR forums, I guess I shouldn't say where).

So, some questions:

1) Will this lot all work together?

2) Have I forgotten anything important I'll need? (e.g does the case come with cables/screws etc, and if not can I use my existing ones?)

3) Is the above good value for money, performance wise? Are there any alternatives at a similar price people would reccomend? e.g would I be better off with an intel processor + board, or slightly lower speed DDR ram but more of it?

4) Any glaring weaknesses/problems with the above equipment? Like upgrade limitations, or other problems I may encounter when I want to change/add things to my PC.
Sun 31/08/03 at 14:39
Regular
"programmers rule!"
I would sugest getting the 2500 instead of the 2600 because it strangly has a faster FSB. plus you might want to change your graphics card to an AGP8 another £100 but it'll last you quite a while. (and loads of AGP8 motherboards have compatability issues with AGP4 cards)
Sun 24/08/03 at 11:53
Regular
"Acid Casual"
VenomByte wrote:
> AMD K7 2600+ Socket A CPU & cooler (retail box) (approx
> £80)
> 512MB 400Mhz PC3200 184 pin DDR memory module (approx £60)
> Asrock K7S8X Socket A motherboard (approx £40)
> Virgo Super Midi ATX case (black) with 350W PSU (approx £25)
>
> This lot I can get for £205 (whilst I'm on SR forums, I guess I
> shouldn't say where).
>
>
> So, some questions:
>
> 1) Will this lot all work together?

Yeah - no probs there.

>
> 2) Have I forgotten anything important I'll need? (e.g does the case
> come with cables/screws etc, and if not can I use my existing ones?)

Case will probably come with all the necessary scres etc to mount the motherboard.. but you may wanna check before.

>
> 3) Is the above good value for money, performance wise? Are there any
> alternatives at a similar price people would reccomend? e.g would I
> be better off with an intel processor + board, or slightly lower
> speed DDR ram but more of it?

Better case/psu would be the only thing I'd suggest. Maybe think about paying £25 for a case and buying a separate psu. Also I'd go for 400W+ on the psu just to be sure.

>
> 4) Any glaring weaknesses/problems with the above equipment? Like
> upgrade limitations, or other problems I may encounter when I want to
> change/add things to my PC.

Nope. I have an XP2600+ with Asus A7N8X Dx etc etc and it works a treat.
Sun 24/08/03 at 09:52
Regular
"smile, it's free"
The time has tome to finally bother to upgrade my PC. I've been putting this off for a year or so due to the demonic complications incited by the worlds 'new motherboard'.

As I'm not *entirely* sure what I'm doing, the more knowledgable of you lot can give me advice. This is what I'm planning to do:

I will keep the monitor, keyboard, mouse, GFX card, sound card, cdrom/hdd, floppy, network card, speakers, and software (OS etc) from my old computer. I will buy a new processor, motherboard, memory, and case. I *think* that covers just about everything.

I'm budgeted at somewhere around £200, no more than £250 tops.

Here's what I've been planning to get so far:

AMD K7 2600+ Socket A CPU & cooler (retail box) (approx £80)
512MB 400Mhz PC3200 184 pin DDR memory module (approx £60)
Asrock K7S8X Socket A motherboard (approx £40)
Virgo Super Midi ATX case (black) with 350W PSU (approx £25)

This lot I can get for £205 (whilst I'm on SR forums, I guess I shouldn't say where).

So, some questions:

1) Will this lot all work together?

2) Have I forgotten anything important I'll need? (e.g does the case come with cables/screws etc, and if not can I use my existing ones?)

3) Is the above good value for money, performance wise? Are there any alternatives at a similar price people would reccomend? e.g would I be better off with an intel processor + board, or slightly lower speed DDR ram but more of it?

4) Any glaring weaknesses/problems with the above equipment? Like upgrade limitations, or other problems I may encounter when I want to change/add things to my PC.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.