GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Windows Messenger"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 23/08/03 at 10:23
Regular
Hi all. For some reason, I have both Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger 6 installed on my PC, and I want to get rid of the older Windows Messenger. How do I do this? Add/Remove programs was no good, it deleted IE and Outlook Express from my taskbar for no good reason! SHouldn't it have been overwritten when I downloaded MSN 6.0?
Sun 24/08/03 at 12:54
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
TGMbloke wrote:
> Wah? Why have none of you done the obvious!
>
>
> Install the latest XP service pack - choose Start/Programs/Set
> Program Acess and Defaults
>
> Then choose the "Custom" tab, click the expand arrow, and
> uncheck "Enable acess for this program" in the Windows
> Messenger Box. Works perfectly, and does not touch the vastly
> superiour MSN 6.0!
----

Genius.
No deleting or reinstalling needed.
Just ticking a box.
Thanks TGM
Sun 24/08/03 at 12:25
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Craw wrote:
> cjh wrote:
> It is under Add/Remove programs, but within the 'Add/Remove Windows
> Components' category.
>
> You fools this is the correct answer.

If you had actually known what you are talking about, you would have realised all this does is "add or remove access to windows messenger from the START MENU".

It doesn't actually remove messenger itself. Hence, only taking up 0.0mb according to the add/remove programs.

However, windows messenger is used for the whiteboard, remote access etc. So if you want to still keep access to these functions, go to the options of windows messenger and disable starting up when you turn on your computer.

All this info could've been found with a quick google groups search for "remove windows messenger".
Sun 24/08/03 at 11:56
Regular
"Acid Casual"
cjh wrote:
> It is under Add/Remove programs, but within the 'Add/Remove Windows
> Components' category.

You fools this is the correct answer.
Sat 23/08/03 at 12:36
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
You can also use this:

http://www.xp-antispy.org/index.html?/news-e.php

(Which I haven't actually tried)
Sat 23/08/03 at 12:26
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
To remove Windows Messenger manually, click Start, Run and enter the following command:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Note: This will present a long delay when opening Outlook Express if you have the Contacts pane enabled. To prevent this, click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT Go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Right click in the right pane and select New, Dword value. Give it the name Hide Messenger Double click this new entry and set the value to 2.
Sat 23/08/03 at 12:13
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Right, I had this problem for aaggeeessss, until the other day.

Open MSN Explorer, as this is what it's linked with. If you delete the folder for Win Messenger manually, then run this, it reinstall's it.
So, update you MSN Explorer.
It should do it automatically if you haven't done so yet.

It solved my problem anyway.
Hope this helps/
Sat 23/08/03 at 11:58
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
It is under Add/Remove programs, but within the 'Add/Remove Windows Components' category.
Sat 23/08/03 at 10:31
Regular
Just do a search on your hardrive for Windows Messenger and then delete it! I am pretty sure that on add/remove programs u can go into the Windows Setup thing and click on communications and uninstall it from there. I was able to do that with Win 98 and ME!?!
Sat 23/08/03 at 10:27
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Same problem here...I think it's because MSN 4.7 (I assume thats the other version, it is on mine) is built into XP, but if you tamper with the registry you can probably remove it.

Maybe :D

(Sorry I'm not too helpful)
Sat 23/08/03 at 10:23
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Hi all. For some reason, I have both Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger 6 installed on my PC, and I want to get rid of the older Windows Messenger. How do I do this? Add/Remove programs was no good, it deleted IE and Outlook Express from my taskbar for no good reason! SHouldn't it have been overwritten when I downloaded MSN 6.0?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.