GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The future market... and which two consoles are going to make it there!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 21/02/01 at 18:04
Regular
As the games market heads towards the future, I thought I'd use my mystic ball and take a butchers as to which two consoles will join it there.

As far as I can see, and as Smoked Kipper said sometime ago, Twos company Threes a crowd. So which will the two consoles be? The PlayStation 2 and the GameCube. Want to know why I think this? read on...

The PS2 already has the backing of the amazingly successful PlayStation. Even this is still going strong, with players worldwide it easily beat any competition hands down. Much as I hate to say it (being an N64 owner aswell) Nintendos effort was never going to surpass the PS. It had a pretty good go at it, but it just isn't possible.

The next thing is the fact that there isn't going to be any competition for the GC and PS2. The Xbox won't sell aswell as Microsoft think it will. They haven't given it any marketing and since it's their first venture into the gaming market buyers will be cautious. They will want to make sure that they're not going to be buying a mini PC. This is obviously the only that can take away from the Spec side of things because other wise the Xbox is faultless! "What about the Indrema!" I hear you cry. Well I think that will fizzle out pretty soon after it has started. It should succeed but it just doesn't hae the publicity. The first time I heard about it was when someone posted about it in the FOG forum.

So lack of competition. Whats next? ah yes, piracy. "what?" you say? Well since the PS2 is the only console using CDs it is therefore the only on which piracy is possible. I think it was £3 Billion that the gaming industry lost last year, that trend looks set to continue. So whith games being very wideley available...

Next onto the GameCube. The answer to why this is going to make it unto the gaming shrine is because of the past consoles which Nintendo have made.

quick re-cap, NES, great fun, SNES, best console I've ever owned, N64, the paving stone for the Future. All these past consoles have been amazingly popular. And with Nintendo being the great games producing company that it is... Well the, as I said, the GC looks set to be up there with the PS2.

One more point that is in favour of the GC is the fact that it has some of the best gaming deveolpers backing it. Rare for example. Undoubtedly the best games developers that have ever graced the gaming scene. There are various others aswell, Konami, Factor 5... the list is endless.

So thats what I make of the future. What about you?

RBS
Thu 22/02/01 at 19:59
right saesee it doesnt stand a chance. who will want one when there are more experienced consoles like gamecube and ps2
Thu 22/02/01 at 10:10
But you are correct. The X-Box will crash n' burn, look at Windows! I can hardly keep my system runni...

[SYSTEM FAILURE]
Wed 21/02/01 at 21:44
Regular
"You've upset me"
New Jimmy wrote:

I think the
> Gamecube and PS2 will reign triumphant!

Nice to see someone agrees with me...
Wed 21/02/01 at 20:55
Microsoft would be better spending £500 million on Game Development, Killer Games on a Killer System sell themselves. The X-box is a year off and Ive not heard of one game that isnt a PC port that would appeal to the console gamer!

Realeases Ive heard of so far Abes Odessey 3 , not a fighting or racing game....game over for X-box.

Gamecube will sell on the Big Ns reputation (Provided Conkers Bad Fur Day doesnt destroy it!).

I think the Gamecube and PS2 will reign triumphant!
Wed 21/02/01 at 19:21
Regular
Thinking about it, it may have been half a billion, (500 million)
Wed 21/02/01 at 18:54
Ah, but if you push TOO much chocolate underneath someone's nose, they'll be sick of it in about 2 days. - And he'll/she'll put off the lovely brown stuff for quite a while.

Believe me, I've tried it. :)
Wed 21/02/01 at 18:46
Regular
Rastabillywatsit wrote:
>The next thing is the fact that there isn't going to be any competition for the GC and PS2. The >Xbox won't sell aswell as Microsoft think it will. They haven't given it any marketing and since >it's their first venture into the gaming market buyers will be cautious.

I thought they were about to spend billions (or maybe just millions) on marketing. Whatever amount it was, it will supposedly be sufficient to push the X-box right under everybody`s noses.

As for the general prediction part, I don`t think anyone will know for sure which console or consoles will be the greatest success until late next year.
Wed 21/02/01 at 18:04
Regular
"You've upset me"
As the games market heads towards the future, I thought I'd use my mystic ball and take a butchers as to which two consoles will join it there.

As far as I can see, and as Smoked Kipper said sometime ago, Twos company Threes a crowd. So which will the two consoles be? The PlayStation 2 and the GameCube. Want to know why I think this? read on...

The PS2 already has the backing of the amazingly successful PlayStation. Even this is still going strong, with players worldwide it easily beat any competition hands down. Much as I hate to say it (being an N64 owner aswell) Nintendos effort was never going to surpass the PS. It had a pretty good go at it, but it just isn't possible.

The next thing is the fact that there isn't going to be any competition for the GC and PS2. The Xbox won't sell aswell as Microsoft think it will. They haven't given it any marketing and since it's their first venture into the gaming market buyers will be cautious. They will want to make sure that they're not going to be buying a mini PC. This is obviously the only that can take away from the Spec side of things because other wise the Xbox is faultless! "What about the Indrema!" I hear you cry. Well I think that will fizzle out pretty soon after it has started. It should succeed but it just doesn't hae the publicity. The first time I heard about it was when someone posted about it in the FOG forum.

So lack of competition. Whats next? ah yes, piracy. "what?" you say? Well since the PS2 is the only console using CDs it is therefore the only on which piracy is possible. I think it was £3 Billion that the gaming industry lost last year, that trend looks set to continue. So whith games being very wideley available...

Next onto the GameCube. The answer to why this is going to make it unto the gaming shrine is because of the past consoles which Nintendo have made.

quick re-cap, NES, great fun, SNES, best console I've ever owned, N64, the paving stone for the Future. All these past consoles have been amazingly popular. And with Nintendo being the great games producing company that it is... Well the, as I said, the GC looks set to be up there with the PS2.

One more point that is in favour of the GC is the fact that it has some of the best gaming deveolpers backing it. Rare for example. Undoubtedly the best games developers that have ever graced the gaming scene. There are various others aswell, Konami, Factor 5... the list is endless.

So thats what I make of the future. What about you?

RBS

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.