GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Witches of Chiswick"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 17/08/03 at 12:26
Regular
This came from Amazon yesterday, ordered it on a whim.
A guy called Robert Rankin. Apparently the author of the "classic Brentford Triangle Triloy", which comprises of 5 books.

Imagine The Time Bandits mixed with Kids in The Hall, a bit of David Lynch, add some Chris Morris and finish off with some Douglas Adams.

Plot?
Will works in the 23rd century at The Tate - checking that digital reproductions of classic art is the same as the original.
He spots something not right in one and it all kicks off from there.
He's hunted by a robot that arrives naked in a lightning storm, demands "a 40-watt range plasma rifle" and tells a tramp "Your clothes, give them to me" and speaks in a Germanic accent.
He ends up in Victorian England, where he's asked to solve the Jack The Ripper case by Sherlock Holmes.
With some help from Barry, the Holy Guardian Sprout.
He meets The Elephant Man, who likes to go out on the pull and makes a cocktail called "A Merrickan Express" at a fancy dress party at Buckingham Palace.
H G Wells is annoyed at being made invisible whilst trying to formulate a growth serum, whilst Constable Tudar Pole tells him that they've arrested "Jack The Ripper"
"I must speak to the prisoner" demands Will
"What, Patrick Magoohan?"

Loads of references to other books, movies, famous people and all manner of stuff that doesn't belong in Victorian England. And asides to the reader in footnotes that made me chuckle.
"Ground Control to Major Thomas" said Merrick into his radio*

* Copyright means I'd have to pay loads of money if I wrote "Major Tom", so balls to that.

A surprising, amusing, intelligent, witty book that I found completely by accident based on reading an excerpt:
"Don't ask me" said Barry, "I'm making this up as I go. Just like the author".
If you've never read Rankin, or generally appreciate very funny, self-mocking humour then check out "The Witches of Chiswick" by Robert Rankin.
I also got "The Antipope", but that's a bit harder to get into. Although Hairy Dave and Jungle John seem like good characters.
Sun 17/08/03 at 12:26
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
This came from Amazon yesterday, ordered it on a whim.
A guy called Robert Rankin. Apparently the author of the "classic Brentford Triangle Triloy", which comprises of 5 books.

Imagine The Time Bandits mixed with Kids in The Hall, a bit of David Lynch, add some Chris Morris and finish off with some Douglas Adams.

Plot?
Will works in the 23rd century at The Tate - checking that digital reproductions of classic art is the same as the original.
He spots something not right in one and it all kicks off from there.
He's hunted by a robot that arrives naked in a lightning storm, demands "a 40-watt range plasma rifle" and tells a tramp "Your clothes, give them to me" and speaks in a Germanic accent.
He ends up in Victorian England, where he's asked to solve the Jack The Ripper case by Sherlock Holmes.
With some help from Barry, the Holy Guardian Sprout.
He meets The Elephant Man, who likes to go out on the pull and makes a cocktail called "A Merrickan Express" at a fancy dress party at Buckingham Palace.
H G Wells is annoyed at being made invisible whilst trying to formulate a growth serum, whilst Constable Tudar Pole tells him that they've arrested "Jack The Ripper"
"I must speak to the prisoner" demands Will
"What, Patrick Magoohan?"

Loads of references to other books, movies, famous people and all manner of stuff that doesn't belong in Victorian England. And asides to the reader in footnotes that made me chuckle.
"Ground Control to Major Thomas" said Merrick into his radio*

* Copyright means I'd have to pay loads of money if I wrote "Major Tom", so balls to that.

A surprising, amusing, intelligent, witty book that I found completely by accident based on reading an excerpt:
"Don't ask me" said Barry, "I'm making this up as I go. Just like the author".
If you've never read Rankin, or generally appreciate very funny, self-mocking humour then check out "The Witches of Chiswick" by Robert Rankin.
I also got "The Antipope", but that's a bit harder to get into. Although Hairy Dave and Jungle John seem like good characters.
Sun 17/08/03 at 12:56
Regular
"Woke up this mornin"
My God, I thought I was the only one who'd ever heard of Kids In The Hall!! I keep telling everyone here about it but no-one else has any idea what it is!

Sounds like a great book, will have to check it out...
Sun 17/08/03 at 13:01
Regular
"\\"
Same here... just lemme finnish lotr first.
Sun 17/08/03 at 22:15
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Sounds bloody hilarious. I'll put it on my list for the next bulk Amazon purchase (might be a while until I actually get round to reading it...).
Mon 18/08/03 at 00:23
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
I read some Rankin books about 5 years ago, and they were funny in a 'I'm laughing at them because I don't read Terry Pratchet books but am still to scared to talk to girls kind of way'.
Mon 18/08/03 at 00:36
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
He's written quite a lot of books, most set in Brentford. A lot of them refer to each other, so you understand more of the in-jokes as you read more of them.
Mon 18/08/03 at 09:06
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Mr Snuggly wrote:
> I read some Rankin books about 5 years ago, and they were funny in a
> 'I'm laughing at them because I don't read Terry Pratchet books but
> am still to scared to talk to girls kind of way'.
---

Yeah, that's exactly why I'm enjoying them.
Mon 18/08/03 at 09:08
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
Give me my book back

grrr
Mon 18/08/03 at 09:34
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Come get it.

It's in my pants.
Mon 18/08/03 at 09:34
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
what girl could resist that offer?

thats a rehtorical question.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.