GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Fed up with release dates"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 21/02/01 at 13:27
Regular
Release dates and constant slipping.
Annoying as anything and, I feel, an insult.

I'm aware that certain games will be delayed, but to launch a new system that costs the earth and give a few ok games with 1 or 2 that rock, and then wait 7-8 months before releasing the quality is severely testing my patience.

If we splash out £300 for one of these, give us the titles to enjoy it.

My personal gripe is with Knockout Kings 2001.
It's out in The States, I can order it from Amazon, but it has now moved back to mid-end march over here.
Why? If it's ok over there, why wait an age for here?

I like the PS2, I bought one before Xmas, but so far have bought 2 games, rented a couple more and watch DVDs.
I feel like Sony is bending me over the desk and yanking my pants down to my ankles.

I spend £299 for the PS2, and basically play WWF Smackdown 2 with my mates because there is a shortage of decent games out there.

I know the good ones will be out in a couple of months, but the system has been out since November - Come on Sony ,get it together or by the time the other consoles come out, we'll have played the 2 we're all waiting for and relegated your shiny black box to a movie player.
And a damn expensive one at that.

That is all.
Wed 21/02/01 at 13:27
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Release dates and constant slipping.
Annoying as anything and, I feel, an insult.

I'm aware that certain games will be delayed, but to launch a new system that costs the earth and give a few ok games with 1 or 2 that rock, and then wait 7-8 months before releasing the quality is severely testing my patience.

If we splash out £300 for one of these, give us the titles to enjoy it.

My personal gripe is with Knockout Kings 2001.
It's out in The States, I can order it from Amazon, but it has now moved back to mid-end march over here.
Why? If it's ok over there, why wait an age for here?

I like the PS2, I bought one before Xmas, but so far have bought 2 games, rented a couple more and watch DVDs.
I feel like Sony is bending me over the desk and yanking my pants down to my ankles.

I spend £299 for the PS2, and basically play WWF Smackdown 2 with my mates because there is a shortage of decent games out there.

I know the good ones will be out in a couple of months, but the system has been out since November - Come on Sony ,get it together or by the time the other consoles come out, we'll have played the 2 we're all waiting for and relegated your shiny black box to a movie player.
And a damn expensive one at that.

That is all.
Wed 21/02/01 at 13:59
"High polygon count"
I understand your frustration, but it's misdirected.

Release schedules are the responsibilities of the individual publishers, not Sony.

Do you really think that Sony are happy that there are no absolutely killer games available at the moment? They want to establish the largest user base they can, and that won't happen until more triple-A games are available. Sony are probably more frustrated than anyone else!

There's very little reason - if any - that Knockout Kings UK release should be pushed back. It's more acceptable in games such as Final Fantasy, where there is a lot of in-game text to translate - but a comparatively straightforward sports game should suffer no such delays - especially when the primary version is in English already!

However, the games are starting to arrive, and there will be a flood of them this year. I've already worked out that I will be spending the better part of £600 on PS2 games this year (release dates permitting!) as there are many excellent titles due.

Have patience!
Wed 21/02/01 at 14:29
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
It just seems to be the way that release dates are issued and then pushed back.
If I operated at work like that, I would have no customers left.
It just seems that we think "Cool, only 2 weeks until (insert title here) is out", then a day or two before....ta-da!, you wait another month or 3.

PC games are the same, although they release anyway and offer patches - just as bad.
The computer games industry appears to rely on it's customers just waiting...and waiting and waiting....

The Third Place is starting to get more and more like a certain train company, with us all standing on the platform peering at our watches and tutting softly as old newspapers are blown around our feet.

No wonder David Lynch did the advert, frustratingly incomprehensible, cool by reputation and ultimately leaves you scratching your head thinking "Rrriiiiiight?"
Wed 21/02/01 at 14:30
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
It just seems to be the way that release dates are issued and then pushed back.
If I operated at work like that, I would have no customers left.
It just seems that we think "Cool, only 2 weeks until (insert title here) is out", then a day or two before....ta-da!, you wait another month or 3.

PC games are the same, although they release anyway and offer patches - just as bad.
The computer games industry appears to rely on it's customers just waiting...and waiting and waiting....

The Third Place is starting to get more and more like a certain train company, with us all standing on the platform peering at our watches and tutting softly as old newspapers are blown around our feet.

No wonder David Lynch did the advert, frustratingly incomprehensible, cool by reputation and ultimately leaves you scratching your head thinking "Rrriiiiiight?"
Wed 21/02/01 at 19:30
Don't worry. Thank goodness that the dates are spaced, so we have enough time to enjoy each title before the next.
Wed 21/02/01 at 20:49
The reason that all the games have been pushed back in the UK is due to the Shortage of PS2s over Christmas (And Working PS2s). Therefore the UK userbase isnt as big as the games publishers anticipated.

When the PS2 sells more machines over here, and all the original ones are fixed then the publishers will release their games over here.

Of course the US and Japan were priorities for Sony so all the alot more PS2s were allocated to those markets, and so those markets are bigger and so they get all the good games first!

So in Short its Sonys fault, the game publishers can only release a game when its economically viable to do so. In other words when more PS2s sell over here.

So we will just have to wait!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.