GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Intruder (Short Story)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 15/08/03 at 21:00
Regular
A deep sickening feeling of anxiousness floated around in the back of Kim’s stomach, daring her to open her eyes. A shrill rhythmic screeching had stirred Kim from her peaceful sleep and she lay awake surrounded in the blackness of her unlit bedroom. The source of the sound was distant enough to be certain it wasn’t coming from within the house but close by enough make it un-ignorable.

Kim listened hard and identified the source of the sound as being her back yard. She ambled out of bed and sleepily manoeuvred from her bedside over to the large curtained windows that overlooked her back garden. Kim’s pulse quickened as she began to dread what she may find. Perhaps it could be burglars trying to break into her house, she lived in the middle of the country and knew that nobody would be there to hear her cry for help.

She extended her slender arm and clasped the curtain with her fist. Her hand lingered a moment before she plucked up courage and quickly drew the curtain back. Kim’s pupils dilated at what she saw and she gasped and began to back away from the window. In the middle of Kim’s garden was a large man dressed entirely in black, a hood covering his head and in his hands he held two butcher knives that glinted formidably in the moonlight; the man rhythmically scraped them against each other to create the crude screeching that had awoken her. Kim stood a moment in her room, her head swirling with thoughts. All at once the feeling of dread crept up inside her and overwhelmed her thoughts. She had left the back door open!

Kim dashed out of her room and took the stairs two at a time. Her tiredness vanquished and adrenaline coursed through her veins and her heart pounded in her chest. She ran across her hall and into the kitchen to put the chain on the door but it was too late. The door was wide open and there was nobody standing in the garden. The intruder was in her house. In a state of uttermost distress Kim picked up the telephone, located on her kitchen table, to call the police. When she placed the receiver to her ear her heart sank again. There was no dial tone.

Tears began to roll down Kim’s cheeks and she knew it was up to her and her alone to defend herself and her young daughter who slept peacefully in the room upstairs. She drew a large knife from the rack on the work surface and tip toed into her living room. She carefully surveyed the shadowy room but noticed no signs of life. She made her way carefully down the hall and in the silence a bellowing thud shook the floor beneath her. The huge oak grandfather clock that stood predominantly in the hallway struck 1am. Once her ears had stopped ringing, Kim began her ascent of the stairs. As she neared the top she placed her foot on one of the old wooden stairs and a crude creak echoed about the moonlit landing. A shape quickly darted across the top of the stairs making no sound but leaving Kim numb with fear.

After a shot prayer she silently stepped into the room, which the intruder fled. She surveyed the area but found nothing at all. She began to turn around to check out another room when two small cold hands grabbed her and began shaking her back and forth with a desperate force.

Kim woke up in her bed with Linda, her 6 year-old daughter shaking her awake. “What is it honey?” Kim sleepily asked her frantic daughter.
“I had a bad dream” she replied, “I dreamt there was a man standing in the garden holding two big knives.” A shrill rhythmic screeching echoed through the blackness of the house.
Fri 15/08/03 at 21:00
Regular
"118 118"
A deep sickening feeling of anxiousness floated around in the back of Kim’s stomach, daring her to open her eyes. A shrill rhythmic screeching had stirred Kim from her peaceful sleep and she lay awake surrounded in the blackness of her unlit bedroom. The source of the sound was distant enough to be certain it wasn’t coming from within the house but close by enough make it un-ignorable.

Kim listened hard and identified the source of the sound as being her back yard. She ambled out of bed and sleepily manoeuvred from her bedside over to the large curtained windows that overlooked her back garden. Kim’s pulse quickened as she began to dread what she may find. Perhaps it could be burglars trying to break into her house, she lived in the middle of the country and knew that nobody would be there to hear her cry for help.

She extended her slender arm and clasped the curtain with her fist. Her hand lingered a moment before she plucked up courage and quickly drew the curtain back. Kim’s pupils dilated at what she saw and she gasped and began to back away from the window. In the middle of Kim’s garden was a large man dressed entirely in black, a hood covering his head and in his hands he held two butcher knives that glinted formidably in the moonlight; the man rhythmically scraped them against each other to create the crude screeching that had awoken her. Kim stood a moment in her room, her head swirling with thoughts. All at once the feeling of dread crept up inside her and overwhelmed her thoughts. She had left the back door open!

Kim dashed out of her room and took the stairs two at a time. Her tiredness vanquished and adrenaline coursed through her veins and her heart pounded in her chest. She ran across her hall and into the kitchen to put the chain on the door but it was too late. The door was wide open and there was nobody standing in the garden. The intruder was in her house. In a state of uttermost distress Kim picked up the telephone, located on her kitchen table, to call the police. When she placed the receiver to her ear her heart sank again. There was no dial tone.

Tears began to roll down Kim’s cheeks and she knew it was up to her and her alone to defend herself and her young daughter who slept peacefully in the room upstairs. She drew a large knife from the rack on the work surface and tip toed into her living room. She carefully surveyed the shadowy room but noticed no signs of life. She made her way carefully down the hall and in the silence a bellowing thud shook the floor beneath her. The huge oak grandfather clock that stood predominantly in the hallway struck 1am. Once her ears had stopped ringing, Kim began her ascent of the stairs. As she neared the top she placed her foot on one of the old wooden stairs and a crude creak echoed about the moonlit landing. A shape quickly darted across the top of the stairs making no sound but leaving Kim numb with fear.

After a shot prayer she silently stepped into the room, which the intruder fled. She surveyed the area but found nothing at all. She began to turn around to check out another room when two small cold hands grabbed her and began shaking her back and forth with a desperate force.

Kim woke up in her bed with Linda, her 6 year-old daughter shaking her awake. “What is it honey?” Kim sleepily asked her frantic daughter.
“I had a bad dream” she replied, “I dreamt there was a man standing in the garden holding two big knives.” A shrill rhythmic screeching echoed through the blackness of the house.
Fri 15/08/03 at 21:09
Regular
"Light of the world"
Well thanks Kyle, I don't sleep well on best on nights and now -

Im screwed huh!
Fri 15/08/03 at 21:12
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
Ohhh - a nice little bedtime story.
Fri 15/08/03 at 21:23
Regular
"118 118"
It wouldn't be the same if you read this on a morning. Nightmares are the ultimate aim of scary stories!
Fri 15/08/03 at 21:32
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
The only thing that ever gave me a fright while reading it was Stephen King's Pet Cemetary. I ended up dreaming that the dog which I had recently had put down was walking round in circles on the bed ready to lie down like she used to do. I was laid on my stomach and straining to look over my shoulder but couldn't move. That was weird and it only happened once.
Fri 15/08/03 at 21:36
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
The Goonies = the scariest movie ever!
Fri 15/08/03 at 21:38
Regular
"118 118"
I have a load of experiences. I had a sort of nightmare last night that partially inspired this story. I dont know whether contsantly having scary experiences is a blessing of a curse but either way it is an eye opener.
Fri 15/08/03 at 21:38
Regular
"Not a Jew"
The ending is nearly the same as my story, "Nightmare."
Fri 15/08/03 at 21:39
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Still I liked it, the tension build up was good.
Fri 15/08/03 at 21:52
Regular
"Light of the world"
I have an incredibily vivid imagination and it although that may also be a blessing, It is also a terrible burden sometimes.

he he he - though when the guy in the black cape was described I saw 'death' off of family guy

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.