GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Things I like about the PS3"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 20/10/06 at 14:02
"possibly impossible"
Oh, it's so easy to be negative about the price, the release date (in Europe, at least), the 'this is a computer, not a games console' idea and more, but I don't want to give you the wrong impression about what I think about the actual hardware.

Sony have actually put together a neat package which solves many entertainment needs. The games console itself looks like it will be able to handle some pretty neat graphical techniques and although most of the launch titles are also on the 360, we should see some 'must have' exclusives soon, especially since the late launch of the console in Europe might give them a chance to release more games at launch. Games like F1 Championship and Motorstorm are looking very nice indeed.

But in particular, I like:

Blu Ray films as standard
Ok, so this bumped up the price, as we all know, but it's still good to have one of the two new formats encased in the box to play Blu-ray films on. While it doesn't come with a remote (Sony's usual sales tactics of making back some of their lost money), it should be fully functioning and have all the options of a full blu-ray player (I hope)

Free Internet
One of the bug-bears of my 360 is having to pay £40 a year for what is an essential part of the console experience. PS3's network is free and contains quite a nice looking browser. We just have to wait to see if they have a user-friendly interface for downloading games like Xbox Live.

PS1 games downloadable
The option to download PS1 games using the PS3(though, sadly, not for free) and play them on both PSP and PS3 is a great idea, especially with such a huge back-catalogue of hard to find games.

Movies
Not just on Blu-ray, either. Depending on how much they will be and how fast they will download, this could be a good or a bad thing. But then internet speeds should increase at some point soon.
Sat 11/11/06 at 13:18
Regular
Hopefully this is a hint that Europeans might finally be getting some sense in their heads and showing Sony that they are not happy being shafted everytime and being last to receive everything.

It's not even confirmed that the console will reach our shores by March, George Harrison refuses to confirm a set date. Heck i wouldn't be suprised to see it get put back even further.
Sat 11/11/06 at 04:11
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Just been on the BBC website and they have a poll up, it's only new but

VOTE RESULTS
Which would you choose?
Xbox 360 45.73%
PlayStation 3 7.08%
Wii 47.16%

8159 Votes Cast

Oh my!
Sun 22/10/06 at 20:33
Regular
"Mooching around"
I've been tempting myself with videos of Assassins Creed, Army of Two and Haze. All of which look amazing... Which reminds me...
Sat 21/10/06 at 00:31
"possibly impossible"
Numble Strips perhaps?

or

Slightly bumpy strips?

No...oh, well...
Fri 20/10/06 at 23:58
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
pb wrote:
> I think the most popular part of this will be
> the PSOne downloads.

They'd have to rename the rumble strips in Gran Turismo, because they won't rumble anymore.
Fri 20/10/06 at 22:14
"possibly impossible"
The most important thing for an online service is to be able to easily support many gamers and find them easily + keep a friends list. The 360 does this very well and I only hope Sony have done their homework this time around.

But, yes, the content side is looking promising, though maybe not quite as nice as what the Wii has to offer, gamewise. If they price the movies right and they download quickly on the standard 1-2meg (despite what BT would like you to think, many people still have only 1meg Broadband) connection then they'll be in business. I think the most popular part of this will be the PSOne downloads.
Fri 20/10/06 at 21:52
Regular
I feel all those extras you talked about detract from the whole gaming experience. I want a console to play some kickass games on. Not a mp3/dvd/bluray/telescope/toaster/games console.
Fri 20/10/06 at 19:16
Regular
They also have a more diverse e-distribution system than Live Arcade. Already there are new reiterations of classics such as Lemmings in the works, and new homemade games (one of those featured in the gamer day show yesterday was made by a team of 5) are in abundance.

Sony's offering seems like it's going to dwarf Live Arcade, and that's no overestimation. Arcade has been here for a year now, and we've seen limited releases in easily defined categories. Not what we expected.

They also announced that the Sony store was developed in conjunction with the entertainment section of the company, so I would't be surprised if soon enough we see movie and music video downloads direct from their store. Again Microsoft's occasional promotional video on the Marketplace doesn't cut it.

As you can tell, I'm a little disappointed by the Live service. As it is, I don't participate in downloading that much content, a demo here or there. Most of my Live experience is playing online with my friends, but what Sony are offering here is an all in one hub for all entertainment sources. Games, communications, websites, video, music. That is a huge attraction.
Fri 20/10/06 at 17:14
Regular
Traitor ^_^

I like the graphics and the fact that the console gets UT 2007. Well I hate that fact but you know what I mean.
Fri 20/10/06 at 14:02
"possibly impossible"
Oh, it's so easy to be negative about the price, the release date (in Europe, at least), the 'this is a computer, not a games console' idea and more, but I don't want to give you the wrong impression about what I think about the actual hardware.

Sony have actually put together a neat package which solves many entertainment needs. The games console itself looks like it will be able to handle some pretty neat graphical techniques and although most of the launch titles are also on the 360, we should see some 'must have' exclusives soon, especially since the late launch of the console in Europe might give them a chance to release more games at launch. Games like F1 Championship and Motorstorm are looking very nice indeed.

But in particular, I like:

Blu Ray films as standard
Ok, so this bumped up the price, as we all know, but it's still good to have one of the two new formats encased in the box to play Blu-ray films on. While it doesn't come with a remote (Sony's usual sales tactics of making back some of their lost money), it should be fully functioning and have all the options of a full blu-ray player (I hope)

Free Internet
One of the bug-bears of my 360 is having to pay £40 a year for what is an essential part of the console experience. PS3's network is free and contains quite a nice looking browser. We just have to wait to see if they have a user-friendly interface for downloading games like Xbox Live.

PS1 games downloadable
The option to download PS1 games using the PS3(though, sadly, not for free) and play them on both PSP and PS3 is a great idea, especially with such a huge back-catalogue of hard to find games.

Movies
Not just on Blu-ray, either. Depending on how much they will be and how fast they will download, this could be a good or a bad thing. But then internet speeds should increase at some point soon.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.