GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"come back Sega"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 04/07/05 at 16:10
Regular
"guns n roses rock"
I was going through some of my old stuff (my place is a tip and well it had to be cleaned up some time) when I came across my Sega mega drive. Memories of countless hours spent on sonic and streets of rage came flooding back. I would like to think that I am quite the gamer; I own quite a few consoles. One by one I found my N 64, my play station. Then I came across an object I hadn’t seen or thought about for a long time. It was my Sega dream cast. I was bored from all the cleaning so I decided to give the old machine a go. Playing the dream cast brought back all my long lost passion for Sega consoles and games. When every kid grows up, they usually develop a bond with a certain brand of console whether it is a Sony play station, Nintendo 64 etc. For me it was Sega. While other kids would be controlling Mario or shooting enemies with Lara croft I was much happier speeding around with sonic and tails.

I stopped playing my dream cast and took a glance at my shelf where I keep all my new consoles. There was my game cube and ps2 but there was no new and improved Sega console. Sega for me was the champion when it came to the console wars. But when they decided to stop making anymore consoles I was shocked.

Now days there are 3 main console giants the game cube, x box, ps2. All with excellent graphics and sounds and each one brings something new to the gaming table. But what if Sega had stayed in the game, who knows maybe right now we could have been playing a console ahead of its time.

Despite the fact they continue to make games I believe that since they are no longer in the console war they haven’t got that urge, passion, competitive spirit they had before which made them work harder and be more creative to come up with such classic games.

ty for your time
Fri 02/09/05 at 22:31
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
I've never owned a SEGA. But I wished they were still a force.

I just bought SEGA Sonic Collection and can't put in down.
Thu 25/08/05 at 21:44
Regular
"Bad Wolf; England"
I think Sh3nmue (Shenmue 3) is due out on the 360 or the PS3.
Tue 23/08/05 at 10:43
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
SEGA have always been a fantastic games company - but I always considered their consoles and marketing to be a little dubious

I owned both a MegaDrive and SNES, and definitely preferred the SNES - the Saturn was a developers nightmare, was over-priced and (deservedly) blown out of the water by the Playstation - The DreamCast release seemed very badly timed, Playstation was still the name on causal gamers mind (aka the people who keep the games industry running), and the advertising for the console made it appear that wasn’t enough of an upgrade from the Playstation or N64 to warrant splashing the cash on a new system.

I like the games SEGA makes - I'd much rather they were concentrating completely on making fantastic titles, rather than splitting their resources between selling (or not selling) a console and marketing EA style games to the keep their investment afloat.
Mon 11/07/05 at 19:16
Regular
"Divine Davine"
Well, what they thought they would do was to create a Shenmue Online experience for the PC, and scrap the idea of a third game in case this one didn't sell very well. Shenmue games are extremely expenisve to make, and there are talks of halting the production of alll sequels to come.

Please! No!
Mon 11/07/05 at 13:49
Regular
"hulagadoo"
Yeah, I really enjoyed Shenmue, wasn't there meant to be a 3rd installment released by now?
Mon 11/07/05 at 08:24
Regular
"Laughingstock"
It's a pity the Shenmue series was discontinued. It was class.
And SEGA don't seem to be making unique games anymore, like Jet Set Radio, Rez, Shenmue, etc...
Jet Set Radio Future on the Xbox is a fantastic game, and yet it sold badly. Gaming has been dumbed down by the likes of EA and their churned-out looked-good/play-average mass market fodder.
Sun 10/07/05 at 19:43
Regular
"Divine Davine"
Fiery Salamander wrote:
> Sega are still around but they only make games.

Thu 07/07/05 at 10:54
"For the horde!!!!"
Sega are still around but they only make games.
Wed 06/07/05 at 12:11
Regular
"8==="
Ubi have just fired the first volley against EA sports titles with 'And 1'.

Should be interesting.
Wed 06/07/05 at 11:53
Regular
"Divine Davine"
Hedfix wrote:
> Shame a lot of the in-house EA games are crap.
>
> So it would be Fifa, TimeSplitters, Burnout and a few other sports
> titles.
>
> Not enough to sustain a console properly, it'd end up like the Cube
> as a console many buy to supplement their main console.
>
> Also Ubisoft are trying to increase their market share and if EA went
> off any of the platforms you can be sure that Ubisoft would be more
> than happy to bring out titles to fill any gaps left by EA. Ubisoft
> are also better than EA when it comes to refinement and online play
> on consoles so EA could find themselves in serious trouble if they
> made such a risky move.

I didn't mean it seriosuly, but yeah it would eventually lack the amount of 'Killer App' exclusive titles that are pivotal to a console that needs to appeal a mainstream market. Maybe in the future, the company have managed to pick up a hefty amount of series/franchises, and they could bring them forward so that they can create an iconic console, but then the whole Ubisoft prospect would probably put EA in a bit of trouble.

To be honest, and if they ever do create a console (I know its very unlikely), the mainstream market can only go so far and no 'hardcore' gamer would be interested in EA's in-house products, due to them being yearly updates that are mostly total crap.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.