GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Pirates of the Carri-cari-carribe-Whatever."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 13/08/03 at 16:06
Regular
Hmmm, this be a tough one to judge, me heardie. On one hand you have the quite credible performances of Johnny Depp and that crip from Shine, but on the other you have bad, bad, bad appearances of Orlando Bloom and Kiera Knightly. There's just something about Orlando Bloom that I don't like. He didn't look right in LOTR, and he doesn't look right in this one. Don't care how good an actor he is, there's just something I can't quite put my finger on.

The skeletons were wicked though. All underwater and boney. Shame about the crap, cliched set-piece after set-piece that they spent almost the entire film throwing at any increasingly waning audience. Mental note to Gore Videl-Sasoon - jokes are funny once, but trying to repeat them again and again at various stages doesn't work. In fact it does the opposite and upsets the pace of the film. That bad gag in that advert about "Try wearing a corset" - that comes right at the end, upsetting quite a nice build-up to the climax.

But despite a few setbacks, the film came out just about average. It could have gone either way - especially Johnny Depp's accent - it leaves a bad taste in your ears. It seemed like there was too much emphasis on comic-relief and not enough on proper, well thought out action scenes and plot. Although the plot does work well enough for the type of film.

All-in-all, it seemed like every line was delivered for the purpose of putting in an advert for the DVD. That's not how I like to see my films.

And can anyone explain to me how Captain Jack Sparrow managed to slide down that rope near the beginning - his hands were in chains, it's impossible!?
Fri 15/08/03 at 12:29
Regular
Blank wrote:
> Maybe they thought the anger of having your stapler set in a jelly
> would be the perfect motivation.

--

I reckon they knew the perfect way to make Barbossa even more evil was to have Gareth use his erection doll.

"Set sail, me swashbucking hearties."
"...Ooooh yeaaaah!"
Thu 14/08/03 at 12:17
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
monkey_man wrote:
> There's just something about Orlando Bloom
> that I don't like. He didn't look right in LOTR, and he doesn't look
> right in this one. Don't care how good an actor he is, there's just
> something I can't quite put my finger on.

Not sure about being a good actor - that part where he was stood on the side of the ship with the gun to his throat was real tripe but he is much cuter without the blonde wig.
Wed 13/08/03 at 20:50
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
Depp puts his hands together, flips the chain over the rope then grabs the 'end' (which is actually the middle). Even if you missed the detail the chain is quite long and his hands are close to the rope when he's sliding - did the chain shrink or is it just doubled over?
Wed 13/08/03 at 18:45
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Maybe they thought the anger of having your stapler set in a jelly would be the perfect motivation.
Wed 13/08/03 at 18:12
Regular
The skeletons would be sorted, they could always detach an arm as needed.

On another note, how did they decide to get Mackensie Crook as a pirate?

"I need a creepy skeleton zombie murdering pirate with a wooden eye."
"How about Gareth from The Office?"
"..Genius!"
Wed 13/08/03 at 18:10
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Besides, do any of us really know the ins and outs of rope placement on masts during the pirate era? Who's to say there wasn't a way to get his hands over it? Eh?
Wed 13/08/03 at 18:06
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
The underwater skeletons didn't try to slide down a rope with handcuffs on, did they?
Wed 13/08/03 at 18:05
Regular
Well, the underwater zombie skeletons are perfectly plausible, so no debate needed there, whereas the rope thing is a bloody marvel, so we need to get a think tank together.
Wed 13/08/03 at 18:02
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
You brought him up.

...perhaps that could have been phrased better.
Wed 13/08/03 at 18:02
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
I like the way you debate over how feasible it is for someone to slide down a rope wearing handcuffs, in a film about underwater zombie skeletons.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.