GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Co-operative games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 20/02/01 at 20:49
Regular
As people like playing games with more than just them selves and the computer, wouldnt it be nice if more games had a co-operative mode?

If you were playing a top shoot em up and you couldn't beat a certain enemy or your health was just too low for you to want to carry on, you would wish you could have a friend to give you a helping hand. Am I right?

The solution. Either companies try and consider people having a good time in co-operative mode, watching each others backs whilst working things out together or you try so many times that you want to take the game out of the console and jump on it til you hear that snapping sound, which calms you down a bit.

Although if you did try jumping on the disc/cartrige, then the next morning you would hate yourself for what you did last night.

Games companies try to make games as realistic as possible but in real life, would you see just one person doing a mission on his/her own. You would see task groups moving in slowly, making sure each other is safe.

The only co-operative games I can think of are Duke 3d/duke 64, Perfect dark, Hexen, and probably a few more I missed.

Dont you all hate it when your brother, sister or friend wont get off the game you really cant wait to play because they just want to get passed one more bit (which they said they would ages ago).

Remember, everyone needs backup sometimes!
Tue 20/02/01 at 20:49
As people like playing games with more than just them selves and the computer, wouldnt it be nice if more games had a co-operative mode?

If you were playing a top shoot em up and you couldn't beat a certain enemy or your health was just too low for you to want to carry on, you would wish you could have a friend to give you a helping hand. Am I right?

The solution. Either companies try and consider people having a good time in co-operative mode, watching each others backs whilst working things out together or you try so many times that you want to take the game out of the console and jump on it til you hear that snapping sound, which calms you down a bit.

Although if you did try jumping on the disc/cartrige, then the next morning you would hate yourself for what you did last night.

Games companies try to make games as realistic as possible but in real life, would you see just one person doing a mission on his/her own. You would see task groups moving in slowly, making sure each other is safe.

The only co-operative games I can think of are Duke 3d/duke 64, Perfect dark, Hexen, and probably a few more I missed.

Dont you all hate it when your brother, sister or friend wont get off the game you really cant wait to play because they just want to get passed one more bit (which they said they would ages ago).

Remember, everyone needs backup sometimes!
Tue 20/02/01 at 20:55
Regular
"( . ) ( . )"
Good point.Could be worthy of a game.
Tue 20/02/01 at 21:19
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
One of the biggest critisisms of computer games that I hear is that they are antisocil. Co-op is the answer to that problem.

The co-op on Perfect Dark is not actually that great, as you lose a lot of framerate. But on the 4-player PD challenges, this is not an issue, and fighting a bunch of evil simulents with your mates has given me some of my most memorable moments in gameing.

The day PD was released, I got it through the post. For the whole day, me and some other dudes played through the challenges, and got quite far. But then, on one match, a sim shot a rocket at me. My mate used himself as a human shield to save me. I cried.

Wed 21/02/01 at 10:26
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I remember back in junior school all me and my brother would play was Toe-Jam and Earl on the Mega Drive. The game was great, you could play 1 player as either but the best part was when you played 2 player co-operative, the game shone, you could be together in the same screen and when you parted the game would split the screen in two. You collected presents around the 3D world which you have a beautiful (strategy type) view of. all the levels were islands that floated in space some with water some not, you could get wacky items like, rubber rings and rain clouds but the best were ones like rocket skates and springy shoes, I don't mean to boast but for you who missed this game you missed cooperative gaming in the 1990's the game still is ace and you have to skate, jump, walk and stumble your way through 25, progressively bigger levels.

For such an old game it was very good and 2 Player could interrupt 1 Player a steal a life from him, of course there were loads of different enemiesand such like, you had an evil Ice Cream truck and a carrot man, oh you had to be there and if you weren't then I can only sympathise because I was in the middle of it, it was the only game that you could play forever!

Toe-Jam and Earl...Wow!

There was talk of a third Toe0Jam and Earl on the N64 but that seems to have died, I hope we see one on the Gamecube or the PS2, I dno't remember who made it, I don't care I just want to see another one, but nothing beats an original, Like T-J and Earl....It WAS Co-operative gaming. Period.

The Game
Wed 21/02/01 at 11:16
Well hopefully now consoles are getting online, there will be more co-op games. PC UT has great co-op play (assault,domination, and to a lesser extent team deathmatch). And then you have game mods like Team Fortress and Counterstrike.

PC gaming is pretty much there with co-op. It must only be a matter of time before consoles get a handle on this.
Wed 21/02/01 at 19:18
Regular
TimeSplitters:
Alrightish Co-op, though the game is not famous for its story mode. However, there is the arcade mode which is great, and allows teamwork. Loads of games do in fact allow multiplayer games with players on the same team.
E.g.
Perfect Dark
TimeSplitters
Loads of other FPSs
Tekken Tag
DOA2
And other Tag beat `em ups
JFG
Streets of Rage
Rebel Assault
T and E
SW:JPB
Worms
Tennis Games
Football Games
In fact, loads of different sports games that use co-op
Some driving games e.g. V-rally, though I don`t think that was intentional
There are miwwions, but those are all that I can think of without going and looking at a load of old games and mags.
Do you mean co-op on FPSs? Or on all games? I think there are plenty if you know where to look.

Wed 21/02/01 at 19:31
Regular
You, as good as DK64 was. You rarely had 2 characters on screen at the same time and there was still slow down.

Why? Because even with the exoansion pak, there's only so much the N64 can do.

I played Sonic adventure the other day and was pleased to see not only great speed and graphics but to see Tails following Sonic around the levels and no slowdown as a result.

As systems get more powerful, the easier it is for developers to include co operative modes without slowdown. The PS2 and Gamecube should have absolutely now problem with co operative modes or slowdown!
Wed 21/02/01 at 20:04
Co operative games are the best, although they seem to have gone out of fashion in the transition from 2D to 3D.

Most of the old 2D, 2 player games were co operative! Such as Final Fight, Golden Axe, Sonic 2, Jaguar xJ220, Alien Breed, Double Dragon....the list goes on

but things are getting better as Consoles get more powerful hopefully Co operative play will become a standard part of more and more games. There are already some great examples out there such as Quake III, and Perfect Dark.

However my favourite Co-operative Game has to be the excellent TimeCrisis 2, lets home Namco bring this Arcade Classic to the Dreamcast and PS2 soon!
Wed 21/02/01 at 21:03
Regular
My fav. SNES coop game was Probotector!

That was one cool game!

Bit on the short side though!

Another one was Mario Kart on the SNES!
Even though in the GP mode you were ment to be racing against each other me and my bro helped each other out (only cos we wanted to play the extra courses)
Wed 21/02/01 at 21:19
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
Oh wow, now I remember Streets Of Rage! That game was so cool...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.