GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"If you could have chosen to be the maker of one game..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 08/07/05 at 15:08
Regular
"The Red Shift"
...which one would it be?

Now this doesn't exactly have to be the best game you played (although it may well be), just the one that you thought had some brilliant touches or amazing plots or stunning scenery.

Personally mine would be Zelda: Ocarina of Time. It's one of my favorite games ever, but had some brilliant ideas behind it. Some of the puzzles and things you had to do were truly enjoyable.

However for the PS2, I guess it has to be TimeSplitters 2. I just can't believe it wouldn't have been great fun to work on a project like that.
:)

So what game would you have chosen to make?
Tue 12/07/05 at 01:31
Eyetoy Play 3. You never know.
Sun 10/07/05 at 01:11
Regular
"The definitive tag"
AfroJoe wrote:
> Other 3 = Bond, Boris, Helicopter Pilot (Oddjob was banned, hah)

Heh, we used to have the same rule about Oddjob, we'd also try to encourage people who'd never played it before to choose Jaws as their character.
Sat 09/07/05 at 18:45
Regular
"Shizzel happens"
WOW cause then id never have to work again
Sat 09/07/05 at 18:35
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Yes, Complex was a level in which large amounts of kills could be racked up with ease. That was where the fun came from, though. Proximities were impossible there, though. Definitely. Because it was so thin, wherever you walked you'd basically detonate them and die. In fact, I often recall restarting next to a mine and dying straight away. :-D

Remote Mines was a lot more bearable, though, because you actually had to set them and tactically detonate them when people went by. You also couldn't just set hundreds and sit in a corner waiting for people to die while your score rocketed. There were limits. Ahah. The wonderfulness.
Sat 09/07/05 at 18:28
Regular
"The Red Shift"
Ah yes.

Complex had the hidden doors and walls yes? We didn't play on that as much because it was just too easy to die.

:D

I must have been talking about Bunker. Thought so.
Sat 09/07/05 at 18:23
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Oooh, actually, you're not talking about the Complex, you're talking about the Bunker.

[URL]http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.yagi3.jp/goldeneye/multi/02Complex.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.yagi3.jp/goldeneye/multi/&h=240&w=320&sz=15&tbnid=dhnn02wZLJ0J:&tbnh=84&tbnw=113&hl=en&start=1&prev=/images%3Fq%3DGoldeneye%2BComplex%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D[/URL]

Complex is the second level reviewed on that. The grey-ish area.

I know what you're talking about with the Bunker, though, because we played that as well. Just not as often.
Sat 09/07/05 at 18:16
Regular
"The Red Shift"
AfroJoe wrote:

> Remote Mines on the Complex really was a thing of genius, though. So
> many bases, like the main two Remote Mine locations, plus the
> air-vent on the ground ("the blue tube" :-D), and then all
> the hidden vents in the walls. Ah, it was fantastic.

If I remember correctly, the main entrance way had a ridgey bit over the door, so if you threw them onto the back side of that, they would perish. But then my friends learnt to crouch.

> If you happened
> to get good music (because unlike pretty much every other level, the
> Complex could use ANY tune) on a 30 minute match, this was easily the
> greatest multiplay experience ever.

Like I was saying...

> Facility was suited to Power Weapons because of all the windows and
> doors that the Magnum and Shotgun could shoot through. Great for
> tactical stuff. :-D

I have to admit, the game was perfect for allowing you to develop and deploy your own tactics.

> Then the Temple was the perfect size for Grenade Launchers, because
> there were about 3 massive empty spaces, so you could just launch
> Grenades about the place and kill people on the other side of the
> level.

I hated that, so I lurked around in the lower chambers to the left of the Temple and the shady parts to the right. The big spaces to the right were perfect for paintball matches though and yes. The ocassional outrageous rocket launcher shot was achieved.

The coolest thing was putting mines under the closing doors ten watching them shut and blow the mines up.

I remember completing all of the one player, except for Cradle within the same day I got it in 2 or 3 different difficulties. For some reason, I had some stupid inability to kill the guy, so I had to let it wait a bit.

> I'm weeping thinking about it.
> :-(

My keyboard's fusing from the tears.
Sat 09/07/05 at 18:04
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
You're talking about the Complex. Easily the best level in the game.

Yes, mines were excellent. Proximities on the Library worked for us because there were so many blind-side walls (especially in the lower section) that you could put proximities on so people would run past them without knowing and die. It actually resulted in quite a lot of suicides, but it was still amazing fun.

Remote Mines on the Complex really was a thing of genius, though. So many bases, like the main two Remote Mine locations, plus the air-vent on the ground ("the blue tube" :-D), and then all the hidden vents in the walls. Ah, it was fantastic. If you happened to get good music (because unlike pretty much every other level, the Complex could use ANY tune) on a 30 minute match, this was easily the greatest multiplay experience ever.

Facility was suited to Power Weapons because of all the windows and doors that the Magnum and Shotgun could shoot through. Great for tactical stuff. :-D

Then the Temple was the perfect size for Grenade Launchers, because there were about 3 massive empty spaces, so you could just launch Grenades about the place and kill people on the other side of the level.

I'm weeping thinking about it.
:-(
Sat 09/07/05 at 17:53
Regular
"The Red Shift"
It's like you've lived my earlier years.

We always used to play on

-Temple with pistols/explosives
-Basement/Stack with power weapons
-Library with mines
-Siberia (? The base one) with mines

Infact on the base one. We had mine wars. One/two players start at HQ and plasters everywhere leading from the re-gen points to the base in mines, then the other one has to get from point to base with only a pistol. T'was the most fun thing I could ever remember.

I Oddjob was off limits for us too.

It was always Me = Boris

They = Trevelyan, Bond

T'was so much fun.

Then when we got bored after 12 hours of that a day, we introduced Mario Kart (Usually top 3 somewhere, still like that now in double dash), Super Smash Bros (I always won at this. Still do in the latest one.), No Mercy (Thrashings ensued), Mario Tennis (Tie between me and a friend), F Zero-X (I always won the old one, hopeless with the new one).
Sat 09/07/05 at 17:44
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Yup, back in the day there was me and 3 other guys who all had N64s and loved multiplayer on them. So many consecutive nights of genius was the result.

The characters on Goldeneye were always:
Me = Trevelyan
Other 3 = Bond, Boris, Helicopter Pilot (Oddjob was banned, hah)

And the levels + weapon set were always:
- Remote Mines on the Complex
- Grenade Launchers on the Temple
- Power Weapons on the Facility
- Proximity Mines on the Library/Basement/Stack (usually Library because it was basically Basement + Stack)

Then there was Mario Kart 64, F-Zero X, Smash Brothers, No Mercy, Perfect Dark, Mario Tennis and Conker's Bad Fur Day.

Ah, memories. Gaming sucks now in comparison. :-(

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.