GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Top Ten Ps/Ps2 Games.."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 19/10/06 at 22:43
Regular
Thought it would be interesting to see everyones top ten games so far in the playstation series? So whats everyones opinion.
Sat 26/04/08 at 20:41
Regular
"Monochromatic"
13 years. A lot of great games i could draw from.

10.Everybody's Golf II
Almost Nintendo-like in it's playability and addictiveness. Overtook PGA Tour Golf as my favourite sports game and a perfect example of fun over the flashy graphics of the Tiger Woods series.

9.Shadow of the Collosus
I rented this knowing little about it other than it was similar to Ico, stuck it on a big TV. Good lord! Probably one of the most impressive games i've seen in terms of graphics and wow factor and it helps that the game is brilliant in it's simplicity. Find the MASSIVE monsters and take them down.

8.Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
If GTA 3 was the genre-breaker then Vice City was then seeing what could really be done with it. Beautiful, effortlessly cool, great soundtrack and really fun. Just seemed a little short to me.

7.Broken Sword
Anyone remember the goat? This is just an iconic game from the moment is starts with a clown blowing up a Parisian Cafe. A great script, frustrating but rewarding puzzles and probably the last great game not to rely on graphics.

6.Ico
I'm not easily impressed by graphics but the sheer scale and artistry involved in this one was astounding at the time. Add into that an almost entirely wordless script that managed to be completely involving and you've got the closest thing to a work of art on a console.

5.Metal Gear Solid
Probably the coolest game ever made. Stylistically it's just untouchable, it has a great story, some great set-pieces, a twist in the end and lots of toys to play with. And if that wasn't enough, it's even got a bloody ninja in it!

4.Syphon Filter II
It might not have the story or graphics of MGS but for my money, this is the better game due to it's action or stealth approach. There was just some great about crouching down on a street corner picking off snipers on the roof (or trying to run past them) before getting into a full-on shootout.

3.Tomb Raider
No-one should have left this off their list, No-one.
Consider that this was made in 1996, how on earth did they fit such a huge game onto just one disk? This is a genre-defining stuff and none of it's sequels have bettered it.

2.Resident Evil II
In the same way Vice City made everything from GTA 3 bigger and better, Resident Evil II took everything from the previous game and improved it, including whats probably my favourite FMV in all gaming history.

1.Final Fantasy VII
As if it was ever going to be anything else. Greatest game ever bar none, raised the bar for storytelling so high that 14 years after it went into production, everyone else is still trying to catch up.

I've had to leave out Manhunt, Gran Turismo 3, Civilization II and Socom amongst others.
Sat 26/04/08 at 15:35
Regular
10 - Star Wars: Battlefront II
9 - Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
8 - Gran Turismo 4
7 - Time Splitters 2
6 - Final Fantasy 10
5 - Metal Gear Solid
4 - Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories
3 - Final Fantasy 12
2 - Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
1 - Final Fantasy 7
Sat 21/10/06 at 18:29
Regular
I dont know whow you can't be into those games to be honest, i suppose Rpgs aren't everyones cup of tea but Metal Gear had nearly everybody with a Ps buying it and loving it.

NFL 2004 on the Ps2 is another great game, where you can control how much the popcorn is to how you and your team play, made it really interesting, only wish they would do that for PES be far more interesting if you took a deeper look into the team rather than just playing.
Sat 21/10/06 at 00:35
"possibly impossible"
Metal Gear series, I never got into. Final Fantasy, I played about 20 minutes and that was it. I'm not a fan of 'sneak-em-ups' either. Probably why I'm not in a hurry to get a PS3 at the moment.

Don't get me wrong, I had a collection of PS2 games I really liked, but not a lot of stuff that's in most people's top 10's here.
Fri 20/10/06 at 19:10
Regular
Having not gone on instinct and posted the first ten that came to mind, I would have to say this is one of the most impossible tasks ever. In the history of the Universe even. Metal Gear Solid and FF7 are certainties but other than that it's impossible to decide.
Fri 20/10/06 at 15:41
Regular
Took me a while to decide:

10. Metal Gear Solid (Ps) : Just amazing from planting c4 to hiding in boxes this game was probably the first real game i bought when i got my PS and probably the first game i enjoyed. The ending was class plus the bonuses you could get like the bandana and stealth suit made the replay value top notch, not one game came close when this came out.

9. God Of War (Ps2) : Just thought it was one of those games which you never got bored of, visually its incredible, and the gameplay in it sort of compares with Devil May Cry but it does have a good storyline and the gameplay is probably the best of its genre.

8. Pro Evolution Soccer 4 (Ps2) : Ive had endless hours of fun on this and having played 5 i still played 4 more. The amount of hours spent playing this with friends is why ive put it here, you could play it for hours on end with ease.

7. Ico (Ps2) : One of a kind, its originality is why i bought this game, and it didn't dissapoint. The graphics and storyline is why game got its name. The storyline just captures you and you need to know what happen nexts. Puzzles that aren't all that easy makes the game alot harder but overall superb game definatly one of my favourites.

6. Final Fantasy X (Ps2) : Not as good as 7 in my opinion infact there isnt going to be one better than 7 and the best they can do is try to catch up with it. All the same ive spent alot of time playing this game, most of the game was a movie to be honest. The visuals were superb gameplay was average while the sidequests is what kept me interested, really good game.

5. Dragon Quest V111 Journey Of The Cursed King:Just amazing, silly at times but more than makes up for it by the way the story grips you by the balls. Visually also stunning and the gameplay is fantastic. Nothing more to say really, if you haven't got it get it.

4. Bully (Ps2) : This was a hard choice, with the game having just come out. But its just sheer genious, from the graphics to the gameplay superb. Playing pranks on other people actually makes you laugh sometimes which is hard to achieve for a video game but this does it. Its originality is what will make you want to buy it.

3. Final Fantasy 7 (Ps) : In my opinion one of the best games there has ever been, and i dont think ill get any arguments about it. From the gameplay down to the way you pursue Sephiroth i just thought it was amazing, game would'nt have been the same if Aeris hadn't died. The way you could max out your characters and youd still find the WEAPONS hard was why it was good, it was hard if you didnt level up. Lots of things to do and the ending was amzing.

2. Contra: Shattered Soldier (Ps2) : I picked this because of its difficulty, its pretty rare to find difficulty in a game and thats what makes this game so good, the challenge. The Simplicity of it is surprising but you can still have such a hard time gettin past the first level.

1. Manhunt (Ps2) : This would probably be disagreed by many infact nearly all. I particularly like this game because of the difficulty and replay value. The way it leaves your heart in your mouth incase you get caught by an angry mob of skins really gets your adrenaline pumping and that is something that a computer rarely achieves. I hardly know anyone who has completed this, and thats on the easiest difficulty, the games visuals are also brilliant, and one of my favourite games to date.
Fri 20/10/06 at 09:08
"possibly impossible"
Hard to think of 10...

1.Gran Turismo 3
2.Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
3.Spiderman II
4.Gungriffon Blaze
5.Tiger Woods 2004
6.Bishi Bashi Special
7.Wipeout
8.Kingdom Hearts
9. Tekken 2
10. Tony Hawks 2
Fri 20/10/06 at 01:22
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Top ten according to Gamerankings.com (just out of interest)

1. Tekken 3 (PS)
2. Resident Evil 4 (PS2)
3= Grand Theft Auto 3 (PS2), Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2), Gran Turismo (PS)
6. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PS2)
7. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (PS)
8. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS2)
9. Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec (PS2)
10. Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Fri 20/10/06 at 01:15
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
1 EverQuest Online Adventures (PS2)
2 Suikoden (PS)
3 Metal Gear Solid (PS)
4 Final Fantasy 7 (PS)
5 SOCOM (PS2)
6 Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS2)
7 Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain (PS2)
8 Gran Turismo 3 (PS2)
9 Dark Chronicle (PS2)
10 Fifa '98 (PS)
Thu 19/10/06 at 23:14
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
1. Disgaea 2
2. Final Fantasy Tactics
3. Final Fantasy VII
4. Vandal Hearts 2
5. Dragon Quest VIII
6. MVP Baseball 2005
7. Suikoden 2
8. Front Mission 3
9. Growlanser Generations
10. Hoshigami

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.