GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Totally Addicted to Games"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 25/05/09 at 21:44
Regular
"THFC"
While some of you may have been listening to the radio this weekend at various points, you may not or you might have, caught some of Radio 1's different shows, all featuring the common interest in games. While there was often little content about games, there were a few tracks played from some great games and some fantastic nostalgic chat about Mario, Tetris and other classic games. There was one part I caught on a drive back form town Sunday evening and wanted to discuss it and see all your thoughts about it.

The idea was that people would text and call in about how they have been affected by being addicted to games. Then trying to help them and letting other people know about the effects it could have (positive and negative) now gaming has had a lot of bad press over the years. People claiming that it was the cause of violence and games like Manhunt not being released in several countries. That said, it has not always been bad news, the nice little chaps over at Nintendo really made gaming seem like a great thing as of late. With all their various fitness games and ways to make parents flood out and buy games to help train their kids in a wide range of ways.

That all aside, people were on their phones and texting in all the different stories about how their lives had been affected by gaming and some of it seemed all a bit over the top, there were people texting in saying they had dropped out of college and gained too much weight so they were unable to work. Just because of FIFA, Call of Duty and various other games. While these were the more extreme stories that were told I still had to think it was all a bit over the top and just a way of trying to get on the Radio. I know people can get addicted to various things and everyone is affected differently. Surely this is all a bit too far, I mean can any of you honestly believe any of this happening? I for one am bad at playing my Xbox too much and have gone to bed a bit too late because I was so into an RPG, or had to playing one more game online of FIFA. Anyone who has any slight bit of sense could take the difference and not allow a game to make this much damage, maybe some of you know of things like this and I am just being blind to what could happen, but I think them kind of tales are a bit far fetched.

There were other texts coming in about people who had missed dates and lost girlfriends or they were playing their Playstation and their relationship was beginning to suffer. Now this I can see being a bit of a problem as like I said earlier I have always had that “just one more” situation and been late for something or been close to just not bother going. I think the majority of us could see that this is something which could come about and would be an issue as there are some games which just engross you and have you wanting to know what happens next or to just complete that next level. There were even a few more humorous comments that came in, where people had been so into a game online, or had to carry on until the next moment and they had wet themselves. Now I am sure this could happen but personally I have enough self control to prevent this kind of thing!

But I heard all of this on my drive home and I was just going through it in my head and like I said during this post, there are things which I can see being a bit of an issue with being “addicted” to a game. But then I am sure the same thing happens with people who read. They want to get that next chapter done because the story is so good they have to know what happens next. Or with things like 24 and Heroes, just one more episode and then I will stop. But you are then late to bed and wake up late for work or something along them lines.

I think it has to turned around into a bit of a personal issue, you should be able to judge your life and asses when you need to get on with other things apart from your hobbies, I do not see how it should be turned into a bad thing because a company has achieved their goal and made a good game, or an author has written a compelling story for their new book.

Just thought I would have a quick ramble about this and get some thoughts from all you guys about it. As most of you will have gathered, I don’t really think you can be addicted to a game, but I think you need to be able to see when you are playing something too much or spending too much time doing it and have to allow yourself to remember that there are other things that need to be done!

Anyway, just something that was going through my head and a good point for discussion I believe, so thanks for reading and I look forward to reading your responses.
Mon 25/05/09 at 21:44
Regular
"THFC"
While some of you may have been listening to the radio this weekend at various points, you may not or you might have, caught some of Radio 1's different shows, all featuring the common interest in games. While there was often little content about games, there were a few tracks played from some great games and some fantastic nostalgic chat about Mario, Tetris and other classic games. There was one part I caught on a drive back form town Sunday evening and wanted to discuss it and see all your thoughts about it.

The idea was that people would text and call in about how they have been affected by being addicted to games. Then trying to help them and letting other people know about the effects it could have (positive and negative) now gaming has had a lot of bad press over the years. People claiming that it was the cause of violence and games like Manhunt not being released in several countries. That said, it has not always been bad news, the nice little chaps over at Nintendo really made gaming seem like a great thing as of late. With all their various fitness games and ways to make parents flood out and buy games to help train their kids in a wide range of ways.

That all aside, people were on their phones and texting in all the different stories about how their lives had been affected by gaming and some of it seemed all a bit over the top, there were people texting in saying they had dropped out of college and gained too much weight so they were unable to work. Just because of FIFA, Call of Duty and various other games. While these were the more extreme stories that were told I still had to think it was all a bit over the top and just a way of trying to get on the Radio. I know people can get addicted to various things and everyone is affected differently. Surely this is all a bit too far, I mean can any of you honestly believe any of this happening? I for one am bad at playing my Xbox too much and have gone to bed a bit too late because I was so into an RPG, or had to playing one more game online of FIFA. Anyone who has any slight bit of sense could take the difference and not allow a game to make this much damage, maybe some of you know of things like this and I am just being blind to what could happen, but I think them kind of tales are a bit far fetched.

There were other texts coming in about people who had missed dates and lost girlfriends or they were playing their Playstation and their relationship was beginning to suffer. Now this I can see being a bit of a problem as like I said earlier I have always had that “just one more” situation and been late for something or been close to just not bother going. I think the majority of us could see that this is something which could come about and would be an issue as there are some games which just engross you and have you wanting to know what happens next or to just complete that next level. There were even a few more humorous comments that came in, where people had been so into a game online, or had to carry on until the next moment and they had wet themselves. Now I am sure this could happen but personally I have enough self control to prevent this kind of thing!

But I heard all of this on my drive home and I was just going through it in my head and like I said during this post, there are things which I can see being a bit of an issue with being “addicted” to a game. But then I am sure the same thing happens with people who read. They want to get that next chapter done because the story is so good they have to know what happens next. Or with things like 24 and Heroes, just one more episode and then I will stop. But you are then late to bed and wake up late for work or something along them lines.

I think it has to turned around into a bit of a personal issue, you should be able to judge your life and asses when you need to get on with other things apart from your hobbies, I do not see how it should be turned into a bad thing because a company has achieved their goal and made a good game, or an author has written a compelling story for their new book.

Just thought I would have a quick ramble about this and get some thoughts from all you guys about it. As most of you will have gathered, I don’t really think you can be addicted to a game, but I think you need to be able to see when you are playing something too much or spending too much time doing it and have to allow yourself to remember that there are other things that need to be done!

Anyway, just something that was going through my head and a good point for discussion I believe, so thanks for reading and I look forward to reading your responses.
Mon 25/05/09 at 23:46
Regular
"How Ironic"
How can people blame gaming for violence? Hitler never had an Xbox 360...

Violence has always been around, it's just people feel more comfortable having a reason for it. If there's no reason for it, people start to go mad ;)

They're computer games, you can't find gaming as the source of violence for a person when there are so many other factors. It's absolutely ludicrous. I don't play GTA IV, and then go kill a few of the local prostitutes.

Gaming 4 Life.
Tue 26/05/09 at 15:41
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
My opinion on this issue has always been the same.

Video games do not cause violence. Peoples action based on video games do. And there is the answer :D

Video games are a catalyst at most. People who are going to cause violence will cause it anyway, whether they watch a movie, play a game, witness violence themselves.

I can understand where the argument that video games cause violence comes from. Ask yourself this question "Why do some people enjoy Grand Theft Auto's ability to massacre and splatter people left right and centre"?

Its escapism in a form, and some people generally do take examples of games to cause violence themselves.

In reality though when was the last time you heard of a DVD itself violently attacking someone :S
Tue 26/05/09 at 16:24
Regular
"THFC"
Very true! Good points made and good to see that it appears most people are on my wavelength and that the people who were calling up the Radio are just idiots in reality lol

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.