GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"EMAIL SPAMBOTS"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 24/05/09 at 21:29
Regular
"wheres the Any Key?"
Knowing that spambots crawl the net collecting email addresses & other relevant info to compile mailing lists,

is the spam sent to the collected addresses by a human or do the spambots auto send the spam?

Also do bots auto complete web mailing forms to send spam or are they completed by humans?

Thx in advance for any advice.
Tue 26/05/09 at 02:10
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Tappet wrote:
> So based on that info a web form is the safest method,
>
> Would it be best to write the whole email form in PHP and
> include the destination address with in that code? or is that
> putting the address at risk too?
>
> What about leaving the destination address out of the
> script and once the submitted form has been validated retrieve
> the destination address from a database?

As long as the email address doesnt appear in the outputted html it matters little where you store it.
Mon 25/05/09 at 08:28
Regular
"wheres the Any Key?"
morning Garin,

Thx again for the info, ive been doing some research thro the night and understand the randomly generated image displaying some text is the best anti spambot method, but with new technology capable of reading text within an image i guess its 98% success rate will most likely start to fall as well.

Also, to protect your email from a determined harvester, never publish your address on the web, never include your address within any html code, never use href="mailto:address"

So based on that info a web form is the safest method,

Would it be best to write the whole email form in PHP and include the destination address with in that code? or is that putting the address at risk too?

What about leaving the destination address out of the script and once the submitted form has been validated retrieve the destination address from a database?
Mon 25/05/09 at 05:14
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
If a bot can parse fields to insert data then it can recognise what sort of field it is, so no reason to touch hidden fields.
Mon 25/05/09 at 01:57
Regular
"wheres the Any Key?"
im still a novice when it comes to coding.

I had the in mind

was wondering if a bot would auto complete a hidden field

then when validating the submitted form

check to see if the field is empty, if not empty quit validation and return to the form
Mon 25/05/09 at 01:29
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I presume you mean a field thats hidden by css as opposed to .

Its impossible to answer what a spam bot may or may not do really. Theres alot of them, some stupid and some smart. So yes it probably fool some bots. Would it fool all bots? havent a clue.
Sun 24/05/09 at 23:24
Regular
"wheres the Any Key?"
Thx for the advice Garin

So on the subject of writing your own antibot mailing scripts, would a bot auto fill a hidden field within a form that a human can not see?
Sun 24/05/09 at 23:01
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Email harvesting is done by bot and by humans, depends on the spammer.

And yes bots auto-complete mail form, depends on the nature of the forms and the spam involved though.
Sun 24/05/09 at 21:29
Regular
"wheres the Any Key?"
Knowing that spambots crawl the net collecting email addresses & other relevant info to compile mailing lists,

is the spam sent to the collected addresses by a human or do the spambots auto send the spam?

Also do bots auto complete web mailing forms to send spam or are they completed by humans?

Thx in advance for any advice.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.