GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why release dates REALLY annoy me!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 19/02/01 at 18:09
Regular
I wasn't quite sure whereabouts to put this, but I hope that here will do.

My first point is to wonder why this site does not sell, have any information/reviews about, or allow others to review, my favourite game ever. This game is Zeus:Master of Olympus, released by Impressionsgames, towards the end of 2000. The game is next in the series of city building games, and what is most mysterious is that you sell Caesar 3, and the expansion pack for Pharaoh (Cleopatra). Seeing as this is the first game in the series with a name that I can spell :-), I would have thought that it wouldn't be hard to sell it. (Although I sometimes end up typing Zues, as well as Ceasar and Pharoah)

My other, main point is to ask why it takes so long for a game to be converted into a european format. So many games take ages to be released here, including the Pokemon Games, Final Fantasy IX (released here last Friday, but released in Japan last July). Sometimes there seems to be absolutely no reason for this: game manufacturers claim that "localisation" can take several months, but then a game is released in the UK which is essentially identical to its US counterpart, except that it works on Pal consoles. In relation to the game above, I have just been told that a mission editor is now available for download - but it will only work with the US version. Apparently the european version will be out on 31st March!

It seems as if UK gamers are getting a bad deal. With this particular game, the game itself was released several months later, it had many more bugs which needed fixing by a recent patch, and now the editor is not going to be released for more than a month! Why this long? What needs to be changed? I wouldn't have thought very much. I also know that this is the case with many more games. I wish that publishers would make more of an effort to get the UK versions out within a reasonable time of the US version.

One excuse which I have heard is that copy-protection needs to be improved for a UK release. Why? Do publishers think that Britain is full of criminals trying to copy games? Of course, there are plenty of people who do, but there are also plenty of people who do in the USA, and just about anywhere else in the world!

Maybe sometime in future it will be possible for world-wide release dates to exist...........no, sorry, I'm just dreaming!
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Mon 19/02/01 at 18:09
Regular
I wasn't quite sure whereabouts to put this, but I hope that here will do.

My first point is to wonder why this site does not sell, have any information/reviews about, or allow others to review, my favourite game ever. This game is Zeus:Master of Olympus, released by Impressionsgames, towards the end of 2000. The game is next in the series of city building games, and what is most mysterious is that you sell Caesar 3, and the expansion pack for Pharaoh (Cleopatra). Seeing as this is the first game in the series with a name that I can spell :-), I would have thought that it wouldn't be hard to sell it. (Although I sometimes end up typing Zues, as well as Ceasar and Pharoah)

My other, main point is to ask why it takes so long for a game to be converted into a european format. So many games take ages to be released here, including the Pokemon Games, Final Fantasy IX (released here last Friday, but released in Japan last July). Sometimes there seems to be absolutely no reason for this: game manufacturers claim that "localisation" can take several months, but then a game is released in the UK which is essentially identical to its US counterpart, except that it works on Pal consoles. In relation to the game above, I have just been told that a mission editor is now available for download - but it will only work with the US version. Apparently the european version will be out on 31st March!

It seems as if UK gamers are getting a bad deal. With this particular game, the game itself was released several months later, it had many more bugs which needed fixing by a recent patch, and now the editor is not going to be released for more than a month! Why this long? What needs to be changed? I wouldn't have thought very much. I also know that this is the case with many more games. I wish that publishers would make more of an effort to get the UK versions out within a reasonable time of the US version.

One excuse which I have heard is that copy-protection needs to be improved for a UK release. Why? Do publishers think that Britain is full of criminals trying to copy games? Of course, there are plenty of people who do, but there are also plenty of people who do in the USA, and just about anywhere else in the world!

Maybe sometime in future it will be possible for world-wide release dates to exist...........no, sorry, I'm just dreaming!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.