GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Forum's"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 04/08/03 at 20:41
Regular
I have been asked to make a website for my mum's company, and they would like a forum on it.
I know that you can get a free one, but i would like some help on how to build my own one.
If you could give me the code or just general help on how to do it, it would be great help.
Thanks.
Mon 04/08/03 at 20:41
I have been asked to make a website for my mum's company, and they would like a forum on it.
I know that you can get a free one, but i would like some help on how to build my own one.
If you could give me the code or just general help on how to do it, it would be great help.
Thanks.
Mon 04/08/03 at 20:49
Also i would like to know how to make a simple logo twist from side to side.
Just basic animation for a logo.
Mon 04/08/03 at 20:49
If there are any programs you could reccomend for this too it would be helpfull.
Mon 04/08/03 at 22:00
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Forums are pretty weighty to make, your best bet is just use an off-the-shelf solution
Tue 05/08/03 at 15:29
Regular
"hockeyphotos.com"
Yes, don't bother re-inventing the wheel. There is a huge selection of BBs available to download off the Internet. Some are essentially free (eg: phpBB) and some cost money (eg: Invision). You'll need to know what kind of server-side scripting and/or database support your server has.

http://www.phpbb.com/
http://www.invisionboard.com/

For your graphic you'll probably want to make an animated gif - that way you won't need to rely on your viewers having plug-ins like Flash (although many people do these days). You can make animated GIFs with Photoshop, but that's a bit of a 'sledgehammer to crack a nut solution'.

Chris.
Wed 06/08/03 at 14:15
Thanks Chris, i will give them a try.
You wouldnt know how to make files downloadable in front page would you?
So when someone clicks on the link it downloads a short mini clip or something?
Thanks
Wed 06/08/03 at 14:24
Also when i go here http://www.phpbb.com and download the full version and extract it it just comes up with loadsa weird win zip files. And some notepads and some index pages with nothing on them.
SO what do i do once i have gone on the site and downloaded the program?
Wed 06/08/03 at 18:08
Regular
""
try RTFM
Thu 07/08/03 at 00:17
ajg wrote:
> try RTFM

What is this?
Thu 07/08/03 at 09:40
Regular
""
OK. i'll tell you a story about how i found out about the RTFM switch many years ago when i first started programming. It has stood me well over the years and feel there are a lot of people in these forums who would benefit from the same lesson.

I was just out of uni and had just started my first programming job. there was a lot of in-house software that we would use, in those days, to help us program FORTRAN (yuk). A lot of it had been written by the MD and owner of the company many years before.

Now, every morning each team of programmers would have a meeting with Paul the MD to talk about the status of the various pieces of work that was going on. So when one day i had a problem with how one of his software tools worked, i waited until the morning meeting to ask him.

"So Paul... how does the program so-and-so work?"
"Ah, yes, youll need to use the /RTFM switch for that" says Paul.
"Oh yes. RTFM" i replied. "thanks Paul - ill do that"

Being young and naive, i duely noted down "RTFM" in my little notebook, not having a clue about this switch i had never heard of, but was too afraid to ask.

When i got out the meeting i went and asked one of the lads, to see if anyone else knew about the command. It was only until someone explained that although Paul was the top guy in the company, he also was a bit of a joker, that the penny dropped.

He hadnt a clue either.

So when ever im stuck now, with a piece of software or a piece of code i remember my RTFM lesson....

What does RTFM stand for?

Read The F cking Manual.

Over the years since my first encounter, ive heard many programmers refer to RTFM, so perhaps its developed into some sort of industry standard. But it does work if you try.

Now in your case ElRobin, im pretty certain that the PHPBB software comes with some documentation. How about you go away and use the RTFM command yourself and then if you still have problems, come back and ask. I dont believe for one minute that PHPBB comes as "lots of weird zip files etc etc" and nothing on how to use them.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.