GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Forum's"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 04/08/03 at 20:41
Regular
I have been asked to make a website for my mum's company, and they would like a forum on it.
I know that you can get a free one, but i would like some help on how to build my own one.
If you could give me the code or just general help on how to do it, it would be great help.
Thanks.
Wed 13/08/03 at 12:36
No i wasnt expecting them to be easy, i knew that they would be difficult to do.

thanks.
Wed 13/08/03 at 01:19
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Turbonutter wrote:
> 1) Never call me Robin

Fair enough, but I meant El Robin, and therefore wasn't talking to you.

Thanks for the warning though ;)

As you say, forums are reasonably easy to install (and were infact the first thing I got involved in that used php), however, they still might be a little scary to someone who was expecting them to be as simple as guestbooks.
Wed 13/08/03 at 01:09
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
1) Never call me Robin

2) Forums are so simple to install. You unzip the files, fill in your database details and it's done. I installed Phorum 4 years ago on my very first project with absolutely no bother.
Wed 13/08/03 at 00:21
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
And Robin, you do realise that forums are complicated. I get the impression you think it's like one or two simple files to upload and link to, then it's done.

For most forums, you'll need a MYSQL database which is provided by your host. You'll also need support for server-side scripting such as php. You get these with places like freeola, but not with many other ISPs such as BTOpenworld.

Invision, unlike what was said earlier, is in fact free. However, they do not supply free support (basically, if you need help, you have to register by paying them).

Also, if you wanted to create your own forums for the sake of looking different to off the shelf products, it is still possible to customise ready-made forums (for an example of how much invison can be customised, see http://www.mildlyamusing.co.uk/forums )

Finally, if you still feel uncomfortable installing your own forums, or if you cannot find a host that will supply you with what you need, you could consider trying the likes of ezboard and http://invisionfree.com/
Tue 12/08/03 at 18:31
Regular
"keep your receipt"
You need to unzip the phpBB folder and upload all the contents to your webspace. For phpBB2 forums to work you'll need PHP4 and mySQL hosting.
Tue 12/08/03 at 18:22
Regular
http://www.retrospective.staghost.com/forums/index.php

That was hard :)
Tue 12/08/03 at 18:09
Regular
Uploading PHPbb myself at the moment, all the information you were looking for is in the docs folder. You probably downloaded the gzip file or something :p
Tue 12/08/03 at 13:15
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Unzip the main file and upload all the subfolders if you're using PHPbb.

Look for the readme files.

There are some .tar files (I think) that the board unzips itself when you set it up.
Thu 07/08/03 at 17:41
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Why don't you try going back to the main site and looking for help there? Maybe, y'know, in the "FAQ" or "User Guide".

<+kritical> christin: you need to learn how to figure out stuff yourself..
<+Christin1> how do i do that

-bash.org
Thu 07/08/03 at 14:23
MJswerve wrote:
> Tried unzipping them? Sorry to state the obvious but you seem to be
> lacking in information :p

Yes i have unzipped them. im going to try redownloading it and starting again.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.