GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A Guide on How to Use Serif Draw 7.0"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 21/05/09 at 14:25
Regular
"How Ironic"
Serif Draw 7.0 is not by any means the latest or best graphical software, but i wouldn't call it rubbish. I've used it for all my Graphics GCSE Coursework, and my folder looks great. But the best thing about it is that it is tremendously easy to use, compared to say the likes of Photoshop (although Photoshop gives far better results, it is alot more work in other words).

Shapes
So, down to some of the features of Serif Draw 7.0. Let us start with the basics. You have of course the standard shape tool, which lets you draw, well, shapes! You have the simple circle, square, triangle, along side more complex shapes, such as vehicle shapes (planes, cars, boats). Once you've chosen your shape, there is a button on the left bar called the Node tool. This lets you modify alot of different aspects of your chosen shape. You can, for example, change how full your circle is, or choose different types of triangle (scalene, equilateral or isosceles) by adjusting the node points. There is also a Rotate Tool, obviously to rotate the shape.

Quick Points
-Use quick box on the left panel to draw a variety of shapes.
-Use the node tool to change the features of the shape
-Use the pointer tool to change the size of the shape.
-Use the rotate tool to rotate your shape.

Colours
Colours on Serif Draw aren't just the standard "I'd like this square to be green", it goes far further than that. You have the option, similar to some Microsoft office programmes, to select 2 or 3 colours to blend in with each other, then selecting a pattern to put the colours in. You can also change the outline colour of the shape. Far more impressive is that Serif doesn't just give the option for you to render your shapes with plain colours, you can also fill your shapes with textures. There are many textures, including different metal, wood and glass textures, to name a few.

Quick Points
-For different colours, click your shape, select colour on the right panel. At the top, select either Fill or Line and then choose your colour.
-For different textures, click your shape, select effects, and then cycle through the different textures until you find one you want.

Text Capabilities
This is a standard feature on nearly all programs, and it isn't any different for Serif. Simply click the 'A' button on the left panel, then click and drag on your sheet for where you want the text and how big you want it. You can also change the font easily enough, simply by clicking the piece of text, and changing it with the drop down font menu at the top left. To change the colour of your text, select your text, select colour on the right panel, and make sure the Text button is selected at the top. You can also use textures on text, aswell as the outline button.

Quick Points
-Use the 'A' button on the left panel to insert text.
-Use the drop down font menu to change the font.
-Use the colour tab on the right panel to change text colour and outline.
-Use the effects tab on the right panel to render your text with textures.

Instant 3D
This is a very good feature, which as you can probably tell by the name, change shapes, and even text, so it looks 3D. It does this by adding light and shading. To do this, click your text or shape, right-click it and select instant 3D. From here, you'll have a variety of option such as where the light is coming from, to how the sides will be shaped.

Quick Points
-Right click your shape or text and select instant 3D
-Adjust the different options for your chosen effect.

Filter Effects
One of my favourite features. Filter effects can do all sorts of things to your shape or text, from Drop Shadows, Inner Shadows, Outer Glow, Inner Glow, Bevel and Emboss, Feather and many more. Again, simply right-click your shape, and select filter effects. You can see your shape being changed if you move the box that comes up aswell, so you know when it's just right.

Quick Points
-Right-click your shape and click filter effects. Adjust the options to give your desired effect.

Animation
Serif has animation facilities with it. Obviously it's no Macromedia Flash 8, but i think their very good. Like all animation, it's done using frames, but Serif makes it far easier. You simply insert something, say a shape. To make the shape seem like it's moving, we'll choose a starting position. Next, simply click clone frame, and then move the shape slowly towards where you want it. Keep cloning the frame and moving the shape until your shape reaches where you want it. This is just a basic example, animation becomes far more complex, by rotating your object, changing the colour, adding filter effects, or even getting rid of it completely.

Quick Points
-Use clone frame on the bottom bar to copy your frame on the animation bar, enabling you to move your object, and then clone frame again. Just think of Stop-Motion animation.
-Change a variety of things; colour, shape effects to make a good animation.
-The more frames an animation has, the smoother it will look when played back.

Conclusion
This is just a quick guide on the basic features of Serif Draw. There are of course more complicated features to give more options. But, compared to rival graphical programs, Serif is very easy to use, and can give great results. Anyway, the best way to get to grips with it is to just have fun with it, play around with the features, and you'll discover features in your own time.
Thu 21/05/09 at 14:25
Regular
"How Ironic"
Serif Draw 7.0 is not by any means the latest or best graphical software, but i wouldn't call it rubbish. I've used it for all my Graphics GCSE Coursework, and my folder looks great. But the best thing about it is that it is tremendously easy to use, compared to say the likes of Photoshop (although Photoshop gives far better results, it is alot more work in other words).

Shapes
So, down to some of the features of Serif Draw 7.0. Let us start with the basics. You have of course the standard shape tool, which lets you draw, well, shapes! You have the simple circle, square, triangle, along side more complex shapes, such as vehicle shapes (planes, cars, boats). Once you've chosen your shape, there is a button on the left bar called the Node tool. This lets you modify alot of different aspects of your chosen shape. You can, for example, change how full your circle is, or choose different types of triangle (scalene, equilateral or isosceles) by adjusting the node points. There is also a Rotate Tool, obviously to rotate the shape.

Quick Points
-Use quick box on the left panel to draw a variety of shapes.
-Use the node tool to change the features of the shape
-Use the pointer tool to change the size of the shape.
-Use the rotate tool to rotate your shape.

Colours
Colours on Serif Draw aren't just the standard "I'd like this square to be green", it goes far further than that. You have the option, similar to some Microsoft office programmes, to select 2 or 3 colours to blend in with each other, then selecting a pattern to put the colours in. You can also change the outline colour of the shape. Far more impressive is that Serif doesn't just give the option for you to render your shapes with plain colours, you can also fill your shapes with textures. There are many textures, including different metal, wood and glass textures, to name a few.

Quick Points
-For different colours, click your shape, select colour on the right panel. At the top, select either Fill or Line and then choose your colour.
-For different textures, click your shape, select effects, and then cycle through the different textures until you find one you want.

Text Capabilities
This is a standard feature on nearly all programs, and it isn't any different for Serif. Simply click the 'A' button on the left panel, then click and drag on your sheet for where you want the text and how big you want it. You can also change the font easily enough, simply by clicking the piece of text, and changing it with the drop down font menu at the top left. To change the colour of your text, select your text, select colour on the right panel, and make sure the Text button is selected at the top. You can also use textures on text, aswell as the outline button.

Quick Points
-Use the 'A' button on the left panel to insert text.
-Use the drop down font menu to change the font.
-Use the colour tab on the right panel to change text colour and outline.
-Use the effects tab on the right panel to render your text with textures.

Instant 3D
This is a very good feature, which as you can probably tell by the name, change shapes, and even text, so it looks 3D. It does this by adding light and shading. To do this, click your text or shape, right-click it and select instant 3D. From here, you'll have a variety of option such as where the light is coming from, to how the sides will be shaped.

Quick Points
-Right click your shape or text and select instant 3D
-Adjust the different options for your chosen effect.

Filter Effects
One of my favourite features. Filter effects can do all sorts of things to your shape or text, from Drop Shadows, Inner Shadows, Outer Glow, Inner Glow, Bevel and Emboss, Feather and many more. Again, simply right-click your shape, and select filter effects. You can see your shape being changed if you move the box that comes up aswell, so you know when it's just right.

Quick Points
-Right-click your shape and click filter effects. Adjust the options to give your desired effect.

Animation
Serif has animation facilities with it. Obviously it's no Macromedia Flash 8, but i think their very good. Like all animation, it's done using frames, but Serif makes it far easier. You simply insert something, say a shape. To make the shape seem like it's moving, we'll choose a starting position. Next, simply click clone frame, and then move the shape slowly towards where you want it. Keep cloning the frame and moving the shape until your shape reaches where you want it. This is just a basic example, animation becomes far more complex, by rotating your object, changing the colour, adding filter effects, or even getting rid of it completely.

Quick Points
-Use clone frame on the bottom bar to copy your frame on the animation bar, enabling you to move your object, and then clone frame again. Just think of Stop-Motion animation.
-Change a variety of things; colour, shape effects to make a good animation.
-The more frames an animation has, the smoother it will look when played back.

Conclusion
This is just a quick guide on the basic features of Serif Draw. There are of course more complicated features to give more options. But, compared to rival graphical programs, Serif is very easy to use, and can give great results. Anyway, the best way to get to grips with it is to just have fun with it, play around with the features, and you'll discover features in your own time.
Thu 21/05/09 at 14:46
"possibly impossible"
A useful little Mini-manual there.
Thu 21/05/09 at 16:01
Regular
"How Ironic"
Thanks pb. Technical doesn't have to be difficult ;D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.