GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Does it actually matter???"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 17/02/01 at 18:36
Regular
When people complain about games that aren't "quite their type" I get really fed up. If a game plays well and you enjoy playing it, regardless of what it's based on, that should be enough.

Take a wrestling game for example, errr, No Mercy. It's a great game, it's fun to play has loads and loads of options, and is quite challenging. But people avoid it because it's wrestling. If it's a decent game then WHO CARES WHAT IT'S BASED ON???

So what you may not like wrestling, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it's a great game. It's the same with Nintendos image. Everyones starting to jump ship to the PSX because it's got a more "Hardcore" image. Nintendos systems do tend to have a lot of cute'n'cuddly games aimed at younger audiences on then and that tends to put gamers off. I don't think you should call yourselves hardcore gamers if you get put off a product by what it's based on.

At the end of the day would you rather have a rubbish shoot-em-up that had great graphics that tried to cover the fact that people would have more fun prodding a used teabag than playing it, or a well thought out, amazingly fun game that happened to have a childish theme? I know which one I'd choose...
Sun 18/02/01 at 21:29
Regular
"everyone says it"
all I have to say on this matter is:

Which has got better reviews and by the way its not SD2! HAHAHA,
Sun 18/02/01 at 20:46
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
Ant, are you incapable of admitting your little old Greystation is not as super-duper spankilicious as you once thought it was? Can you not see that No Mercy is a MUCH better game? Yeah, so it may be slower, but at least you can choose what move your gonna do, instead of it being so fast a rookie can beat someone who has completed it? I played it for the first time round a friends house, and I kicked the cr@p out of him by hitting the same button over, and over, and over again!

And another thing - single player.
Sun 18/02/01 at 19:53
Regular
"I like cheese"
er-no wrote:
> Well i purchased NoMercy on release day and I am not that fond of
> Wrestling altough I do find it very entertaining when nothing else
> is on! but on to the point, The game is just sooo good, i do have a
> bad copy but still manage to play it when not busy and when I invite
> friends over we hold a massive touranment that lasts hours and
> hours. We play for the fun and the titles and then we go against
> each other for the titles and beat the crap out of each
> other.

Why? Why would I invite 7 friends to play such a
> game?
Why? because it is an extremely good game, idont care if i
> have a faulty copy (THQ will get me a new one soon) I care that I
> can play the game and enjoy what is infront of me!

If you like
> the game, dont listen and just play, sure if its a let down let your
> feelings be heard by others but dont take the pi$$ out of someone if
> they like a game!

er-no says:

'Allow others to enjoy their
> games while you enjoy yours'

Thanks
er-no

Smackdown 2 is better.

SD2= Fast, furious= FUN!!

NM= Slow, slooooowww, more realistic= Boring.

Also, I HAVE played both.

Oh well, who cares.
Sun 18/02/01 at 19:48
Regular
"everyone says it"
No, Allow people to like what they want, you can have your opinion but for them it doesn't matter, just express your opinion and dont change others.

(I like Dre, since 1988)

Sun 18/02/01 at 18:21
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
So, you are saying that even though I hate football games, I should like Fifa 2001. Errrrr...
So i will admit that ISS is an amazing game... for people who like football! I don't so, why should I like this game???
It's like saying to someone, that even though u hate RAP, u should like DRE, coz his music is good.

SonicRav
Sun 18/02/01 at 17:14
Regular
"everyone says it"
Well i purchased NoMercy on release day and I am not that fond of Wrestling altough I do find it very entertaining when nothing else is on! but on to the point, The game is just sooo good, i do have a bad copy but still manage to play it when not busy and when I invite friends over we hold a massive touranment that lasts hours and hours. We play for the fun and the titles and then we go against each other for the titles and beat the cr*p out of each other.

Why? Why would I invite 7 friends to play such a game?
Why? because it is an extremely good game, idont care if i have a faulty copy (THQ will get me a new one soon) I care that I can play the game and enjoy what is infront of me!

If you like the game, dont listen and just play, sure if its a let down let your feelings be heard by others but dont take the pi$$ out of someone if they like a game!

er-no says:

'Allow others to enjoy their games while you enjoy yours'

Thanks
er-no
Sun 18/02/01 at 17:07
Regular
"You've upset me"
Juz wrote:
> I know this isn't the point, but NO Mercy is a terrible game due to
> the fact that ever copy has a faulty battery save pak. This actually
> increases the price of the game and yet it doesn't work. What is
> worse is that THQ new this when they released it in America and got
> complaints and yet still (after months of not fixing it) released it
> into the UK! THQ have a lot to answer for as £45 - £50
> is a lot of money for a faulty good, it meanss you cannot save your
> progress or characters as they will eventually erase!

Any how
> back to the point yes I agree, when I was buying Jet Force Gemini
> (classic!) my friend made a rearke that the game would have been
> better if you were to shoot humans rather than armies of Ants. In
> fact the ants do look cool but what is more important and over
> shadows whether your shooting Ants, humans, or roast potatoes is the
> quality of this great game and the AI of the enemies!

I've got an unglitched version of No Mercy, so to coin a phrase, ner ner!

When I say does it actually matter I mean the game itself not whats it's based. I probably didn't make that clear. Sure if you can't stand racing games then it's OK but if you don't like racing games and you start to rip apart one JUST BECAUSE IT IS A RACING GAME then thats what I'm talking about.

RBS
Sun 18/02/01 at 15:59
It should not matter what the is based on, but it will always be if a game is fronted or based on stars like wrestlers or footballers it will sell more. For example when ISS Pro came out it was just as good as the latest FIFA but cause it didn't have real player names and it had like John Smith playing for England. So what I'm saying is that to sell a game Yes it Probably Does Matter!
Sun 18/02/01 at 15:48
I know this isn't the point, but NO Mercy is a terrible game due to the fact that ever copy has a faulty battery save pak. This actually increases the price of the game and yet it doesn't work. What is worse is that THQ new this when they released it in America and got complaints and yet still (after months of not fixing it) released it into the UK! THQ have a lot to answer for as £45 - £50 is a lot of money for a faulty good, it meanss you cannot save your progress or characters as they will eventually erase!

Any how back to the point yes I agree, when I was buying Jet Force Gemini (classic!) my friend made a rearke that the game would have been better if you were to shoot humans rather than armies of Ants. In fact the ants do look cool but what is more important and over shadows whether your shooting Ants, humans, or roast potatoes is the quality of this great game and the AI of the enemies!
Sun 18/02/01 at 15:30
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
I've got a pocket full of trees and a garden full of cheese.

IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW MANY POSTS YOU'VE MADE!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.