GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Please help!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 12/05/09 at 12:52
Regular
Hello :)

I have been trying to optimise the website I work for and doing all the usual things, but we are still only getting about 400 hits a week and orders very rarely. Has anyone got any ideas please?! If anyone wants to have a look it is: http://www.healingsofatlantis.com

Does anyone recommend a good site we could go to, to register with all the search engines? I found this website:

http://www.pageranksubmit.com/

which says they do all that for you, but just wondered if anyone knew of a site they have already used and have found really good, as you never know these sites are going to be like until its too late..!

What does indexing mean?

I have been linking up with alot of other sites and we have 26 links on our link page now, however I am also confused about the fact that on using the "Sparky" download from alexa.com (which monitors your traffic etc) it says that we are only linked with 5 websites, some of which are not even on our page. I don't understand this at all, why would this be?

If anyone can help with this I would be most grateful - many thanks!

Amanda
Tue 12/05/09 at 12:52
Regular
Hello :)

I have been trying to optimise the website I work for and doing all the usual things, but we are still only getting about 400 hits a week and orders very rarely. Has anyone got any ideas please?! If anyone wants to have a look it is: http://www.healingsofatlantis.com

Does anyone recommend a good site we could go to, to register with all the search engines? I found this website:

http://www.pageranksubmit.com/

which says they do all that for you, but just wondered if anyone knew of a site they have already used and have found really good, as you never know these sites are going to be like until its too late..!

What does indexing mean?

I have been linking up with alot of other sites and we have 26 links on our link page now, however I am also confused about the fact that on using the "Sparky" download from alexa.com (which monitors your traffic etc) it says that we are only linked with 5 websites, some of which are not even on our page. I don't understand this at all, why would this be?

If anyone can help with this I would be most grateful - many thanks!

Amanda
Tue 12/05/09 at 14:24
Regular
Unfortunately there isn't an easy option here. If you have money to spare, you can always set up a Google AdWords or AdSense account for advertising your site...

Generally, search engines will find your site automatically and the main search engines that you want to pay attention to are Google, MSN and Yahoo. Any other search engines aren't usually worth bothering with.

I'm not sure how easy it is to do with ZenCart... but you may notice that every page on your site uses the same META data (keywords, etc.) which doesn't greatly help search engines distinguish one page from another, meaning that pages with products on aren't likely to be found.

I wouldn't worry too much about alexa at the moment, but focus more on making sure that each page on your site says what it is about. People aren't likely to search for 'healings of atlantis' if they are looking to buy a candle, and that's the kind of thinking you have to apply with SEO or Search Engine Optimisation.

Also, try to get more links to your site, rather than from your site.

We have an article here which outlines some good things to consider on every website (not just an InstantPro one).

Sorry if this is quite vague yet technical but I hope it helps!!
Tue 12/05/09 at 14:44
Regular
Hiya thank you very much for your reply.

We did try Google Ads awhile ago and it ended up costing us a fortune as you get charged for every click and the girl that set it up for us didn't really look into it properly so that was a bit of a disaster and we didn't really seem to generate any new customers from that! :(

I am sure there must be a better way of doing it than how she did it for us?

Regarding Zen Cart you mentioned:

"I'm not sure how easy it is to do with ZenCart... but you may notice that every page on your site uses the same META data (keywords, etc.) which doesn't greatly help search engines distinguish one page from another, meaning that pages with products on aren't likely to be found." - Do you know how we go about changing the Meta Tag keywords on every page?

I have noticed that when actually in Zen, next to each product there is a little symbol and when you hover the mouse over it, it says metatags. When you actually click on it and go in there are fields to enter meta tag title, meta tag descriptions and meta tag keywords but none of these fields have been completed. Would this be another reason why people are not finding us? I have started going into each product entering keywords for each one - will this help?

Our keywords on our homepage were not seperated by commas and this has now also been done by our IT guy on our homepage - but I am still not sure if this is right or not as he has done... keyword comma space. I thought you had to do a comma between each keyword or words with no space?

Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated! Thanks again,

Amanda
Tue 12/05/09 at 14:55
Regular
I'm afraid you'll have to look in the ZenCart help forums for help with that as my knowledge is limited here. Their forums are quite good though so you should find what you're after without too many problems.

Your keywords are set up fine, although you might want to consider cutting them down and having a select, specific few per page.

Really you'll need to do some reading up on SEO and methods that people generally use for drawing in traffic. Link building often works well, but there's all sorts of new methods to try like online social marketing and things like that. Unfortunately there's not an awful lot more that I can say without doing it for you :D

Videos (youtube) will help get traffic too, but your best bet will be to do some research on SEO and get your site performing as best it can at the moment and then look in to the various methods of advertising both on and offline.

Hope that helps!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.