GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"new formats"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 17/02/01 at 10:28
Regular
Did you know that it took a very long time to convince the big film companies to buy in to dvd? Even when it was released it was a bit of a gamble and no one knew for sure whether it would take off.

It is amazing that dvd has taken over as it has. Videos are being phased out, you only have to look in most shops to see that the video sections are shrinking and the dvd sections have grown a lot since 2 years ago. Everything from films to fitness videos have become available on dvd, even a whole range of 'top shelf' stuff has appeared (which I find worrying, but that is another story) It might not have been this way, think of how Laserdiscs went. There are stil people who swear by the quality of Laserdiscs, but they didn't sell that well because the hardware was so expensive and bulky and the big companies never really supported them.

So when every one talks about a new format to replace dvd and starts worrying that their equipment will be obsolete, they should not worry. Even recordable dvd is taking a long time to come to these shores and this is for a format that already exists.
Tue 12/05/09 at 10:22
If you experience problems with the TPN ClaimTrak shortly after 07/05/2009 then this is likely due to the program needing updating.

The ClaimTrak was situated on the same server as the Postcode Addressing software and that had to move due to licensing issues. As a result the ClaimTrak program also had to move and this required frantic recoding.

Other changes were in hand at the time, as we were due to change the system to a new server three weeks later, so it had to be done in a hurry. We apologise if you get a few words in French on the installation. The programming language used is French based although it does work in multiple langauages.

If on installation you get a box that comes up with an option of Annuler (this means cancel) then click on this and it should install OK.
Sun 04/03/01 at 21:10
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Some guy in Russia, a couple of years ago now, developed a CD size disk that stores 50 times as much information as DVD's...

However since DVD's already have their foot inthe door, it was a touch ignored! :)

DVD's are a godsend for the industry.. it means they can repackage all their films and sell them at a higher cost than Video Tape, whilst spending less money on Manufacturing...

Equally it means that all the £5 videos can be resold at £13+
Sun 18/02/01 at 18:03
Any company with money or a name (or both) behind it can break in to providing the new technology for a format. DVD was lucky, it got the backing of companies early on and had enough money and media attention to survive, but it wasn't (and still isn't) the best format as far as quality, it's just easier and cheaper to use.

Like you, I don't think DVD will be replaced any time soon, but give it 5-10 years and there will be another format that is significantly different to take over. That's a lot less time than VHS has had. Mind you, the americans are still supporting Beta video tapes, so it goes to show anything can happen in the crazy world of film!

Anyway, I don't really want another format just yet, however good it is, I'm still shelling out to replace my vids with DVDs and it's costing a lot of money to do. It's worth it though for all the extras and stuff that you get and for the picture and sound quality.
Sat 17/02/01 at 10:28
Did you know that it took a very long time to convince the big film companies to buy in to dvd? Even when it was released it was a bit of a gamble and no one knew for sure whether it would take off.

It is amazing that dvd has taken over as it has. Videos are being phased out, you only have to look in most shops to see that the video sections are shrinking and the dvd sections have grown a lot since 2 years ago. Everything from films to fitness videos have become available on dvd, even a whole range of 'top shelf' stuff has appeared (which I find worrying, but that is another story) It might not have been this way, think of how Laserdiscs went. There are stil people who swear by the quality of Laserdiscs, but they didn't sell that well because the hardware was so expensive and bulky and the big companies never really supported them.

So when every one talks about a new format to replace dvd and starts worrying that their equipment will be obsolete, they should not worry. Even recordable dvd is taking a long time to come to these shores and this is for a format that already exists.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.