GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"USB being a right pig."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 26/07/03 at 19:25
Regular
I hate it. Every time I set up a new system, USB always plays up! On my new system, running XP Pro and SP1, all the USB root hubs etc are showing up fine in Device Manager, and when I plug in my USB stick drive, the red light on it flashs once briefly before going dead, and Windows doesn't detect it at all.

In device manager, the PCI to USB controller is set to IRQ channel 21, but in bios they only go up to 15!

Damn, this is annoying...any ideas?

By the way, the motherboard is an MSI nForce2 jobby, that supports USB 2.0.
Sat 26/07/03 at 23:19
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Hi,

After doing a bit more research I found some more info.

First of all, you haven't messed with APIC in the bios have you? Also, make sure USB is enabled in tbe bios (fairly obvious, and I'm sure you've done this).

Secondly, I found the problem with my TV and radio boxes was due to a voltage problem affecting the nforce chipsets. This can (apparently) be cured with either a PCI USB card, or an external *powered* USB hub. Unfortunately, neither options are particularly cheap, and still do not guarantee it will work.

I will probably try one of those options one day and could tell you how it goes (however, this would not be in the near future, as I need to wait until I next go to a computer fair), but in the meantime, I suggest you check the usual places such as google groups (http://groups.google.com/) and email MSI to ask about the problem.
Sat 26/07/03 at 22:06
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Thanks for that Tom, yes it is the K7N2 Delta. I must admit, this is a bit worrying (my USB ports don't function at all), but thanks all the same. :-/

Think it's probably best to get onto MSI about this one and see what they have to say.
Sat 26/07/03 at 20:36
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
If you're talking about the MSI K7N2 Delta (also an nforce 2 mobo), my dad (who bought this motherboard for his system) has also had many problems with the USB.

Namely that his digital radio and digital TV USB devices cause constant break up, and never work quite right.

It's been really annoying for him too, and I'm thinking maybe it's a problem with MSI.

An upgrade is set to be released soon, and we hope that downloading that will fix the problem. My post doesn't help, but it tells you you're not the only one experiencing problems with MSI, nforce and USB.

p.s, in *my* PC I have a recent MSI mobo (KT4 Ultra), but it's not an nforce2 - the USB ports work fine. This would suggest the problem is to do with the MSI nforce2 mobos.
Sat 26/07/03 at 19:25
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
I hate it. Every time I set up a new system, USB always plays up! On my new system, running XP Pro and SP1, all the USB root hubs etc are showing up fine in Device Manager, and when I plug in my USB stick drive, the red light on it flashs once briefly before going dead, and Windows doesn't detect it at all.

In device manager, the PCI to USB controller is set to IRQ channel 21, but in bios they only go up to 15!

Damn, this is annoying...any ideas?

By the way, the motherboard is an MSI nForce2 jobby, that supports USB 2.0.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.