GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Your views?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 25/07/03 at 01:15
Regular
I'll try make this as intelligent as I can but that might be difficult.
I want your views on people who protect their house/family etc when someone breaks in. Not what happened to the guy who shot and killed one kid and injured another (Mr Martin I think) as I know that has been discussed to death on here before.

For me I think a lot of our laws are totally messed up and it now seems more criminals are taking legal action when something happens to them which to me just seems so stupid and wrong.

If someone was to break into my house tonight I personally wouldn't hold back at causing them pain. (of course I would make sure I put my wallet and car keys in their pocket and then a few cuts on my arms to say to the police he had stole from me and attacked me as I'm pretty sure that he would find a way to take some action against me in court even though he was breaking into my house)
What annoys me is that someonee could break into your house, steal, harm your family, rape someone etc and we have very little rights to stop them.

So how far should we be allowed to go to protect our family and home?

I think as soon as they step foot inside your house you should have the right to prevent them from stealing and causing harm to your family by any means possible.
Fri 25/07/03 at 21:48
"possibly impossible"
The law just states that you can use 'reasonable force' when being attacked to defend yourself. It is up to a court to decide what this actually means.

Rules have to be changed, but it does bring up a new problem. If you have a grudge against somebody all you'd have to do is invite them in to your house and them beat the living daylights out of them and claim they broke in.
Fri 25/07/03 at 16:11
Regular
"That's right!"
Protoss wrote:
> By the way, I think it is outrageous that squattors can break into
> your house and you don't have the right to turf them out, they can
> stay there for up to 2 weeks I belive. Even them police officers have
> to get eviction documents which can take even longer.

-------

I'd just beat them up with a few mates and phone the police.

"These people broke into my house, arrest them."

They can't prove they're squaters. And once they're out, the police can't say that I have to let them back in.
Fri 25/07/03 at 14:08
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
MoJoJoJo wrote:

> Personally, when I move out I'm buying a baseball bat.

I own a sword stick but I'm not really sure that it is legal, even though it is extremely blunt.
Fri 25/07/03 at 13:27
"Mimmargh!"
I think you should have the right to defend yourself within reason.
Breaking bones is fair game if the criminal is violent I say and in your property by to bound them and torture them would not.

Anywho, if someone breaks into your property and you injure them you can always put them in the back of your car and dump them out of town then refuse to aknowlege they every broke in.

By the way, I think it is outrageous that squattors can break into your house and you don't have the right to turf them out, they can stay there for up to 2 weeks I belive. Even them police officers have to get eviction documents which can take even longer.

There should be a mix between the American and British extremes somewhere in the middle.
Fri 25/07/03 at 13:23
Regular
"That's right!"
Legally you CAN do pretty much anything to somebody breaking into your home, as long as you don't beat him while he's on the floor. Or shoot him.

Personally, when I move out I'm buying a baseball bat. It's fair game - they're scum enough to break into your house and steal your stuff, they shouldn't be able to complain when I break their legs. They deserve it, damn scum.

*seeths about not catching the guy who broke into one of our cars and took the MP3 player*

*seeths that the police did NOTHING about it, they didn't even show up to look*
Fri 25/07/03 at 13:22
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
We were once nearly burgled.

We think the guy waited for me, my Mum and my sister at the time to go out, as I was opening a new bank account, but little did he know that my big brother was in the house. He heard the patio door being forced open, went into his room and picked up his wooden mop stick (with metal hooks on the end). Once the no-good burglar saw him he scarpered immediately, but my brother continued chase. Anyway, after ringing the police the bloke was convicted and said to be a well-known unconvicted burglar until now, and they also told us he was under the influence of illegal drugs at the time.

I for one certainly don't agree with the british legal system. Why the hell can't you harm someone if they're trying to harm you, whether it be physically or mentally? My brother made it clear that he picked up that stick for a good reason, I mean who wouldn't, especially if you're in a terrified state. If a burglar tried to break into my house, I'd certainly do my best to make sure he doesn't burgle again, using whatever means necessary.
Fri 25/07/03 at 13:19
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Unbeliever wrote:
> They don't, quite simply. Okay, you can defend yourself agaisnt a
> burglar but to get a reward for it? That's just plain wrong.

It isn't the state that gives them the reward, just some rogue people types I think. Anyway, you have to admit, it's one hell of a deterrent.
Fri 25/07/03 at 13:18
Regular
"The Red Shift"
ribs are unbelievably painful if you break them so...

i like the idea of waving your rights when you tresspass idea
Fri 25/07/03 at 13:14
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Clazon wrote:
> the broken bones means the attacking was harsh and violent, so maybe
> he was in the wrong?

No, broken ribs rather than limbs. And bruises.
Fri 25/07/03 at 13:13
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
They don't, quite simply. Okay, you can defend yourself agaisnt a burglar but to get a reward for it? That's just plain wrong.

*thinks of American History X*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.