GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microfilters"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 08/05/09 at 21:07
Regular
Interesting if not pointless question...

Does the technology *inside* a microfilter change over time? I.e newer filters have different internal technology to older ones.

Neil
Fri 08/05/09 at 21:07
Regular
Interesting if not pointless question...

Does the technology *inside* a microfilter change over time? I.e newer filters have different internal technology to older ones.

Neil
Fri 08/05/09 at 22:25
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Neilj99 wrote:
> Interesting if not pointless question...
>
> Does the technology *inside* a microfilter change over time?
> I.e newer filters have different internal technology to older
> ones.
>
> Neil

Wouldn't have thought so unless you have upgraded to adsl+2 from adsl - intrinsically the filter is necessary to 'filter noise' so your two connections can live happilty together ie no cut off for your broadband when the phone is used and no noise when you make a telephone call.

All I have done, and it works for me, is to use microfilters made by the same company as the router. 3rd-party, cheap-tack microfilters caused problems.
Fri 08/05/09 at 22:51
Regular
I swapped out my old filter for the one that came with my new Belkin router tonight.

Let's see if it makes any difference.

*Resists the strong urge to reboot the router for another week*.

N.
Fri 08/05/09 at 23:49
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
The actual key components used inside a microfilter are the same whatever microfilter you buy. All they are are a few capacitors, ferrite cores and resistors (some more expensive filter also use transistor and diodes to fine tune the filtering) to split the incoming signal frequencies between the 2 outputs, see the internals and to prevent the telephone causing changes in things like impedance, which an ADSL modem hates.
What does change over time is the ability of the capacitors to hold their charge within their specification. All capacitors become more 'leaky' over time. In theory a more expensive filter should contain better quality capacitors, which last longer.

There seems to be a trend at the moment of some retailers selling very cheap filters, that claim to comply with the filter standards set out by BT. These generally do not filter the ring wire (they have no ring capacitor) and so can cause problems with the ADSL signal.

This is one of the reasons why we may ask you to try a new filter if you report a fault with you broadband service. Don't by the cheapest filters, they're often not worth it.
Sat 09/05/09 at 00:09
Regular
Very interesting.

I didn't know any of that.

Thanks,

N.
Sat 09/05/09 at 10:01
"Are you sure?"
FYI ADSL doesn't actually need a filter, you can plug directly into the TEST socket (behind the removable faceplate on a Master Socket- NTE5) - But if you are using any other equipment you need to add filters! This can be useful for troubleshooting...

Not all filters are equal I use a filtered face plate this should provide the best performance and also means you don't have to use separate filters on any of your extensions.

NB. If you have a troublesome bit of kit (SKY boxes are known for this) you can also try 'double filtering' - where you connect more than one filter to the device. It's thought that different manufacturers may filter slightly different frequencies so a combination of filters can sometimes improve things.

Connected but slightly different is BT's iPlate this is an Interstitial(i.e. fits in between!) Plate which fixes problems that can be caused with the third wire (the bell wire) - but I think it's best just to un-clip this wire and/or use a filtered face plate.
NB. My iPlate page above was setup in March 2008 just as BT started trialling the product and most people hadn't seen it!

Search Freeola Chat

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.