GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What "makes" a website"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 08/05/09 at 13:22
Regular
So now my son tells me my site looks S***

Its to plain, does not scan well and is boring

Hm well I thought it did what it said on the tin but i am no longer 22 years old and in a way the sort of 25-40 age range are the ones that my use the web for a pest controller.

So what does make a site stand out? I have seen a few with flash but that is beyond me. Do you really need it, am I wasting my time ?
Fri 08/05/09 at 13:22
Regular
So now my son tells me my site looks S***

Its to plain, does not scan well and is boring

Hm well I thought it did what it said on the tin but i am no longer 22 years old and in a way the sort of 25-40 age range are the ones that my use the web for a pest controller.

So what does make a site stand out? I have seen a few with flash but that is beyond me. Do you really need it, am I wasting my time ?
Fri 08/05/09 at 17:01
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
For a business, your priorities should be clear message, professional looking, and lots of quality information. Fancy effects produced in Flash (or Silverlight) arent top of the list in my opinion.

Whats your website? Lets see if it really is "plain, does not scan well and is boring". :)
Fri 08/05/09 at 17:05
"Are you sure?"
Garin wrote:
> Whats your website? Lets see if it really is "plain, does
> not scan well and is boring". :)

See previous post for address - I'll let you go first!

Search Freeola Chat
Fri 08/05/09 at 17:12
Regular
Its www.guardianpestcontrol.co.uk

There are more pages to come but I just want to get the theme and idea right first.

Thanks to all
Fri 08/05/09 at 17:47
Regular
"I like turtles"
Fri 08/05/09 at 18:07
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Good text content so far in my opinion, but as you know yourself you need more of it. Pages like "About Us/Company Profile", "Services", also something on the topic in general. Case Studies/Testimonials are worthwhile too..

In terms of presentation...

-2 Navigation menus duplicating the same information look odd. And personally I'm not a fan of the green.
-The banner is quite large (I mean height wise) and the company name doesnt contrast that well against the background. Maybe try darkening the rodent picture slightly. Also dont be afraid to put more information on there. Something like "providing Pest Control Services in Somerset" beneath the company name in smaller text.
-Be careful with incidental pictures. Basically the first thing you see when you open that website is the insect (a cockroach?). Its brighter than everything else on the page and its pushing your opening content out of the way. So I was kind of put off straight away.
-Have a read of Hmmm....'s search engine tips, its mainly about search engines (obviously) but in general terms its good advice to apply to other aspects of your site like titles. Dont put "Welcome To Our Website", have something relevant and keyword rich like "Professional Pest Control Services - Somerset"

Nothing else springs to mind at the moment. And hopefully you'll take things in the spirit they were meant, ie constructive. :)
Fri 08/05/09 at 19:48
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
I have to agree with Garin, but not to put you off I think you have made a good job. It may not help you, but here is a link to a site I produced from 'scratch' for a client just like yourself - ie starting up for the first time. I had no idea about the subject but he was extremely happy with the end result and I believe he is now self-employed as a result.

Site link
Fri 08/05/09 at 22:14
Regular
Thanks to everyone who has posted,

I have to agree with everything, its not until someone points it out that you see it, I am perhaps blinded as I only see from someones point of view who has been doing pest control for 23 years and cannot look at it from someones eyes who is looking at it for the first time.

I was not to keen on the banner I did set it to the size recommended but I take it I can change the size? ,l have to work out how to make another(I have downloaded the gimp as suggested) have to get my head around that.I will try to mess about with it to get it right (Perhaps a tutorial on banner making :-)

Have to agree about the roach also (Top marks for ID) it sticks out a bit like a sore thumb all white and all, I am having some real problems finding pro looking images that are relevant, but have loads I have taken for the galleries.

This is just the help I need, I didnt really think about re doing the site until my son said he chucked out the yellow pages as soon as it came through the door his comment was what do I need that for if I have the web thats what made me start thinking about redoing what was a very tired and outdated site I had before.

The biggest thing I am trying to prevent is that homemade cant afford it cant be bothered chuck something up site that you often see.

Thanks again it really is much appreciated that you have taken the time to look

Regards
Hugh
Sat 09/05/09 at 10:50
"Are you sure?"
Hi,
Have you tried getting your helpful son to help?! ;¬)

Just to add to other people's comments...

It's always worth looking at your design on different PCs - a popular screen resolution is 1024x768 on a 17" monitor. For me the font is a bit large - this can have the effect of making the site look 'immature'. Slightly smaller text looks more professional - in my opinion. I look at what the BBC do as they spend a lot of 'our' money researching things like this!

View competitors site's for inspiration. I've just found this site which projects a professional image to me: www.nbcbirdandpest.co.uk This looks like a large site - but there's nothing stopping you picking up some of the ideas for a smaller site.

"The biggest thing I am trying to prevent is that homemade cant afford it cant be bothered chuck something up site that you often
see.
" - You're spot on there! There are just as many terrible sites as there are decent ones!

Graphics can be tricky to get right if your are new to it - all you can do is practice to see what you can come up with. Or you might be able to persuade people to help create a logo/banner for you?

If you already have some existing logos/colours etc. on your business card/letterheads/vehicles it's always a good idea to incorporate them in to your website to pull everything together.

Failing everything - you could always contact a local Web Designer for a quote!

Good luck and let us all know how things progress...

Search Freeola Chat
Sat 09/05/09 at 11:07
Regular
Thanks hmm

I will mess about abit and keep honing the first few pages until I can see something that looks near it then complete the others.

The reason at the moment that I dont employ a pro website builder is the cost, at present I want to produce alot of pages. I have the time at the moment as I am "OFF" the physical side of work due to an injury, so I am trying to fill my time. My son and I work together in the business so at the mo he is practical and I am admin !

If I cant get it right by the time I am back at the coal face as it were I will employ someone to produce it at least the text will be there.

I would much rather have a basic good looking site then a huge bloated pile of doo !! Yes if I could get anywhere near the NBC site i would be very very happy, must of cost a fair bit though.

Thanks again its all helping.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.