GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Advantage-Playstation2"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 16/02/01 at 09:48
Regular
If the new console battle for supremecy was a tennis match then I'd definitely say that Sony had the 'advantage' over the other players.

What gives them this advantage?

I'd say that it was the fact that its already on court, whilst its competitors are still preparing in the changerooms.There are also some pretty hefty 'smashes' in it's arsenal, namely SSX and Timesplitters.

Sony also have a number of service aces up their sleeves, those being GT3 and MGS2. Even though these have been delayed they should still hit the shelves before the others have gotten started. What other moves does Sony have in it's impressive range? Well it has a clever backhander with it's range of PSX games that are compatiable with the machine, and a nifty little lob in the name of DVD playback, this makes it so much more than just a console.

But what have the competitors?

Sega's game is almost up, they will surely be a credit to all consoles as a developer, but in hardware, they are dead.

Xbox? Too little information to make a real judgement on this 'player'. Sure he has potential, and he can talk the talk, but can he cut it out on the court?

Nintendo? I like Nintendo, and Im hoping there effort isnt too late. They will no doubt deliver a number of smashes but will they be too few and far between to catch Sony? They also have a trick up there sleeve, with the Gameboy Adv. This will make sure people see who Nintendo are again, get there name back in lights, as it works with the Gamecube somehow, it might work in there favour.

So at the moment I'd say Sony are breaking the opponents serve, and by the time the other competitors get out there, they should have a 1 set advantage.
Fri 16/02/01 at 09:48
If the new console battle for supremecy was a tennis match then I'd definitely say that Sony had the 'advantage' over the other players.

What gives them this advantage?

I'd say that it was the fact that its already on court, whilst its competitors are still preparing in the changerooms.There are also some pretty hefty 'smashes' in it's arsenal, namely SSX and Timesplitters.

Sony also have a number of service aces up their sleeves, those being GT3 and MGS2. Even though these have been delayed they should still hit the shelves before the others have gotten started. What other moves does Sony have in it's impressive range? Well it has a clever backhander with it's range of PSX games that are compatiable with the machine, and a nifty little lob in the name of DVD playback, this makes it so much more than just a console.

But what have the competitors?

Sega's game is almost up, they will surely be a credit to all consoles as a developer, but in hardware, they are dead.

Xbox? Too little information to make a real judgement on this 'player'. Sure he has potential, and he can talk the talk, but can he cut it out on the court?

Nintendo? I like Nintendo, and Im hoping there effort isnt too late. They will no doubt deliver a number of smashes but will they be too few and far between to catch Sony? They also have a trick up there sleeve, with the Gameboy Adv. This will make sure people see who Nintendo are again, get there name back in lights, as it works with the Gamecube somehow, it might work in there favour.

So at the moment I'd say Sony are breaking the opponents serve, and by the time the other competitors get out there, they should have a 1 set advantage.
Fri 16/02/01 at 11:38
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
By that analogy, Dreamcast is the Tim Henman:
People cheer when he started, but in the end gets nowhere and we all go off and laugh at the lesbian contingent (GBA and Saturn spring to mind, they mean well but who can take them seriously?)

Rain calls off play on most of the PS2 titles, delaying them until another day and everyone goes home a little dissapointed.

Where is the McEnroe? I want something that surprises, infuriates and amazes.
Which means I stick to the trusty Acorn Electron and Vic 20.

Advantange Classical Gaming
Fri 16/02/01 at 12:41
Regular
"not dead"
Some would see the lack of units at launch as a bit of a 'double-fault'.

I don't think Sega are quite out of the game yet though. More people are bound to buy one at £100 with games!

However, it won't see out the length of the tournament.
Fri 16/02/01 at 12:49
I'd say PS2 is playing in the Stella Artois at the moment. Wimbledon's just round the corner.....
Fri 16/02/01 at 13:02
Virtua Tennis 2 on the Dreamcast is better than any Playstation tennis game.

You dont know what youre talking aboot.
Fri 16/02/01 at 13:08
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Let me explain, Hugo, a simple little word called "Humour" closely followed by "Irony".

Virtua Tennis may be good, but if I want to play tennis, I'll go outside and play it.
I prefer games that let me do things I can't pull off in the world - I adore Unreal Tournament, but I can see the headlines if I camped in a tower and sniped passers-by or stole someone's ferrari and bombed at 150mph through my local streets.

We are using the analogy (verbal imagery) of tennis to attempt to put our opinions on the state of console gaming.
Nobody mentioned or cares about how good a game is involving men in shorts and women of dubious gender persuasion.

Please, read posts before you use that opposable thumb to type with, don't waste millions of years of evolution.
Fri 16/02/01 at 13:14
"but I can see the headlines if I camped in a tower and sniped passers-by or stole someone's ferrari and bombed at 150mph through my local streets. "

I guess you don't live in Northampton then? ;-)
Fri 16/02/01 at 13:23
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
No, but I have sped through there with my windows shut and doors locked.
A lovely place.
Fri 16/02/01 at 13:51
"High polygon count"
> I guess you don't live in Northampton then? ;-)

I do!
Fri 16/02/01 at 14:14
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
You have my sympathy

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.