GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Bionic Commando Demo - A First Look and Impressions"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Bionic Commando Rearmed'.
Thu 07/05/09 at 10:13
Regular
"THFC"
Bionic Commando

Xbox live always has some great demos and downloads available for the millions of people who are online with the Xbox. One of the newer demos has been put on Live and it is the highly anticipated Bionic Commando, I have watched several videos and read reviews about this game and everything I had seen so far looked good. I enjoyed the classic NES version and will probably download it from Xbox Live soon. But I have been looking forward to finally playing the updated version for some time. So I was happy when I realised there was a demo for grabs.

While I was expecting to be given a level to play through as most demos do, I was delighted to see that it was actually an Online Multiplayer Demo!! You get to play in a match of 8 people from around the globe, and battle it out by collecting weapons, armour and swinging about the night time level you are given to play on. I had not read that this game would feature an Online mode and I was very happy to learn it had one, and after playing the demo a few times this game has rocketed up my wish list and will be a purchase I am sure to make on the 22nd of May.

Like I said you basically have a level to run about, pick up weapons and kill the enemies. While being able to use your bionic arm to grab ledges and poles to climb great heights and swing about you can also use it to grab enemies and give them a good hard kick to the chest, sending them flying! While there are plenty of great Online multiplayer games, this one has a great retro feel to it. You don’t choose your class and go from there, you all start as equals and pick up the weapons you like. Making it more like the games you used to have a 4 player split screen with. Creating a new element of skill, where knowing the level and the weapon to use becomes your greatest advantage over other players.

I know a lot of people will be worried about the control system of the game, having the ability to swing about like spiderman normally means that it does not actually work and you end up getting frustrated with dodgy controls and even worse camera angles, but I have to say I was impressed. It was easy to pick up the grabbing and swinging aspect of the game, and the camera followed in a third person style very well. While the shooting is basic it still creates a fun environment to play against other people and if they were to include a development system or a level up by gaining exp then I think a bit more depth would be added and keep it going for longer. I could see it becoming a bit tedious after a while and would never have the life span of a COD4 game or like that. But don’t take anything away from what seems like an enjoyable, third person game with a great nostalgic feel that keeps me going back to the demo time and time again.

If you have not downloaded it yet then I would have to suggest you head over to Xbox Live (or PSN, not sure if it is on there) and download this demo, I have been really impressed with it and can’t wait to pick up the main game as I reckon even the mission based levels will be great fun, using the bionic arm and the various weapon and hand to hand combat that will be included.
Has anyone else been on the demo yet or are you looking forward to playing this game?
I for one think this has great potential and seems like it could be a very fun game to own this summer.
Thu 07/05/09 at 10:13
Regular
"THFC"
Bionic Commando

Xbox live always has some great demos and downloads available for the millions of people who are online with the Xbox. One of the newer demos has been put on Live and it is the highly anticipated Bionic Commando, I have watched several videos and read reviews about this game and everything I had seen so far looked good. I enjoyed the classic NES version and will probably download it from Xbox Live soon. But I have been looking forward to finally playing the updated version for some time. So I was happy when I realised there was a demo for grabs.

While I was expecting to be given a level to play through as most demos do, I was delighted to see that it was actually an Online Multiplayer Demo!! You get to play in a match of 8 people from around the globe, and battle it out by collecting weapons, armour and swinging about the night time level you are given to play on. I had not read that this game would feature an Online mode and I was very happy to learn it had one, and after playing the demo a few times this game has rocketed up my wish list and will be a purchase I am sure to make on the 22nd of May.

Like I said you basically have a level to run about, pick up weapons and kill the enemies. While being able to use your bionic arm to grab ledges and poles to climb great heights and swing about you can also use it to grab enemies and give them a good hard kick to the chest, sending them flying! While there are plenty of great Online multiplayer games, this one has a great retro feel to it. You don’t choose your class and go from there, you all start as equals and pick up the weapons you like. Making it more like the games you used to have a 4 player split screen with. Creating a new element of skill, where knowing the level and the weapon to use becomes your greatest advantage over other players.

I know a lot of people will be worried about the control system of the game, having the ability to swing about like spiderman normally means that it does not actually work and you end up getting frustrated with dodgy controls and even worse camera angles, but I have to say I was impressed. It was easy to pick up the grabbing and swinging aspect of the game, and the camera followed in a third person style very well. While the shooting is basic it still creates a fun environment to play against other people and if they were to include a development system or a level up by gaining exp then I think a bit more depth would be added and keep it going for longer. I could see it becoming a bit tedious after a while and would never have the life span of a COD4 game or like that. But don’t take anything away from what seems like an enjoyable, third person game with a great nostalgic feel that keeps me going back to the demo time and time again.

If you have not downloaded it yet then I would have to suggest you head over to Xbox Live (or PSN, not sure if it is on there) and download this demo, I have been really impressed with it and can’t wait to pick up the main game as I reckon even the mission based levels will be great fun, using the bionic arm and the various weapon and hand to hand combat that will be included.
Has anyone else been on the demo yet or are you looking forward to playing this game?
I for one think this has great potential and seems like it could be a very fun game to own this summer.
Thu 07/05/09 at 10:39
"possibly impossible"
It's not on PSN, Capcom were unable to get a demo up in time.

While the multiplayer is nice enough, I'd have liked a little more of a chance to try out the single player. Early reviews have suggested it may not have a very good level design.

However, I'll probably still end up getting this at some point anyway, I like pretty much everything Capcom come up with these days.
Thu 07/05/09 at 11:36
Regular
"THFC"
Really? Well i will pick it up because i think i will enjoy it, even if it is just swinging about and a bit of shooting, them kind of things keep me happy lol.

Shame PSN didnt get it, but it is a fun demo and it gave me a great first impression, so we will have to wait a couple of weeks until we can see the level design!
Fri 08/05/09 at 16:52
Regular
"I like turtles"
Just noticed this is up for pre-order for £29.99 (360 & PS3) from GAME.Less 9% Quidco and £1.50 double reward points (for being a pre-order) makes a possible £25.79.Seemed like a good deal to me.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.