GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Large Gas Bill!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 18/10/06 at 15:28
Regular
"AkaSeraphim"
A Grandmother claims she fell ill after receiving a gas bill of nearly £13,500.

Sheila Taylor (73), of Grimsby, received the bill from British Gas for £10,753.51 with an administration fee of £2,688.38.But today, British Gas apologised for the "oversight", and agreed to reduce the sum she really owes them as a gesture of goodwill.

The total bill of £13,441.89 was allegedly for 22 months worth of supplies to Mrs Taylor's former home on the same street, which she moved out of in May.

Mrs Taylor said: "While I was at my previous house I always paid my gas bills on time, and I have all the receipts to show for that.

"Several times while I was getting and paying the bills, I thought the amount I had to pay was too much. I thought it was ridiculously high. I complained on several occasions, but to no avail.

"When I got this bill I couldn't believe it. I think it actually made me ill.

"I think it is disgusting they can make these kinds of mistakes and send people these kinds of bills. It is very worrying.

"I never get in debt and always pay bills off straight away so it was not very nice. The amount was put on hold for four months, but they didn't get back to me to say what was going to happen."

British Gas spokesman Tim Barton said: "I was concerned to hear about this huge bill being sent to Mrs Taylor. Having looked into the case, the good news is that this is a mistake and we have sorted the problem out.

"It seems the moving out reading given by Mrs Taylor was 35,482 whereas the actual reading was 000035. This simple error generated the huge bill.

"We should have noticed this mistake before the bill was sent out and I apologise for that oversight.

"We have rebilled Mrs Taylor using a correct meter reading, apologised for the worry this must have caused and as a gesture of goodwill have reduced the sum she owes us."
Wed 18/10/06 at 15:28
Regular
"AkaSeraphim"
A Grandmother claims she fell ill after receiving a gas bill of nearly £13,500.

Sheila Taylor (73), of Grimsby, received the bill from British Gas for £10,753.51 with an administration fee of £2,688.38.But today, British Gas apologised for the "oversight", and agreed to reduce the sum she really owes them as a gesture of goodwill.

The total bill of £13,441.89 was allegedly for 22 months worth of supplies to Mrs Taylor's former home on the same street, which she moved out of in May.

Mrs Taylor said: "While I was at my previous house I always paid my gas bills on time, and I have all the receipts to show for that.

"Several times while I was getting and paying the bills, I thought the amount I had to pay was too much. I thought it was ridiculously high. I complained on several occasions, but to no avail.

"When I got this bill I couldn't believe it. I think it actually made me ill.

"I think it is disgusting they can make these kinds of mistakes and send people these kinds of bills. It is very worrying.

"I never get in debt and always pay bills off straight away so it was not very nice. The amount was put on hold for four months, but they didn't get back to me to say what was going to happen."

British Gas spokesman Tim Barton said: "I was concerned to hear about this huge bill being sent to Mrs Taylor. Having looked into the case, the good news is that this is a mistake and we have sorted the problem out.

"It seems the moving out reading given by Mrs Taylor was 35,482 whereas the actual reading was 000035. This simple error generated the huge bill.

"We should have noticed this mistake before the bill was sent out and I apologise for that oversight.

"We have rebilled Mrs Taylor using a correct meter reading, apologised for the worry this must have caused and as a gesture of goodwill have reduced the sum she owes us."
Wed 18/10/06 at 15:30
Regular
Deary me ... poor woman :S
Wed 18/10/06 at 15:32
Regular
"AkaSeraphim"
Im still waiting on my gas/electric bill that i havent had since april! Im dreading it lol.

I know it wont be anywhere near that though. :P
Wed 18/10/06 at 15:34
Regular
I should hope not!

Long time to wait for a bill that ... is it the norm? I'm not up to speed with it all ... when I lived with my mates we had an account we just paid money into every month and it was direct debited as and when ... never really took much notice of it ...
Wed 18/10/06 at 15:38
Regular
"AkaSeraphim"
No not really the norm, i think i use to get it every 3 months or so. Then when the ex cancelled nothing changed the account in his name was just stopped. I rang them up and said wheres my Bills. They said the account was cancelled. I said it shouldnt have been and that i transferred it all to my name but typical they had no record of it so i get them back dated from april which was the last bill i paid. So now im paying it off in intallments, they have set up direct debit and taking out £20 a month for each gas and electric. They havent even bothered to send me how much i actually owe them!
Wed 18/10/06 at 15:45
Regular
Aye typical ... setting things up is usually straight forward ... but if you want to change something like the account holders name ... suddenly it all becomes bloody complicated ...
Wed 18/10/06 at 15:48
Regular
"AkaSeraphim"
When i did set it up again over the phone the other day, i gave then my details... Then i got a letter saying my account details were wrong... heh ok!

I told them the right ones... They write down the wrong ones! That annoys me, they want people to pay there bills, but they dont listen and get things wrong!

I gave them the metre reading over the phone for electric. They said they will send someone to do a gas reading... Thats fine!

But they wrote to me and said someone will come do the reading in January.... January! ! ! ! ! Argh ill be moved on by then i hope!

So when i leave ill give them a reading... What you betting they get it wrong then!
Wed 18/10/06 at 15:51
Regular
Wouldn't surprise me ... they just wind you up ... they're quite happy to take your money off you but if you want anything from them ... it's like pulling teeth.
Wed 18/10/06 at 15:53
Regular
"AkaSeraphim"
heh anyway enough about my bills hehe!

Poor woman though, id have heart attack if i got a bill like that.
Wed 18/10/06 at 16:01
"possibly impossible"
It makes you wonder why a company dedicated to one thing, giving you power) can get things so wrong.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.