GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How I got around Virgin PC Guard; formerly Blueyonder."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 06/05/09 at 16:56
Regular
"How Ironic"
Parents. How annoying can they be, especially for young people like myself. More so annoying, parents who know how to use computers a bit, well one of them does anyway. Obviously to avert my young, but mature, eyes from any violent or inappropriate pictures and videos, most of which are harmless when it comes down to it, all parents have to call upon is PC guard.

This has to be the most annoying thing on my computer. You cannot open up any program or application without a little box popping up asking you for a password to let it through the firewall to access the internet. "MSN Messenger - This is a restricted program. To allow access to this program in the future, don't use a rubbish firewall program".

Luckily, I'm alot better on computers than they are. I took a very risky move, but as long as i played it safe, it would work, and still works to this very day.

On my first attempt, i tried simply closing down PC Guard by guessing the password. As you can probably apprehend, this did not work. So i started thinking technically. What did i do to close down any other programs when they were crashing on me. And then it came to me. A little application called Task Manager.

We're all familiar with Task Manager. Its accessible by simply pressing CTRL, ALT and DELETE all at the same time. This opens up a little window showing you all the programs running on your computer.

When i noticed PC Guard was on this list, and clicked end task. Still to no prevail. Finally i had a break through. I right-clicked PC Guard, and clicked on 'Go to Process'. This took me straight to the process PC Guard was running with, which was called RPS.EXE. Quite simply I ended this process. I thought i had it all done, but no, connections were still being blocked. Finally i searched through the short process list to find any programmes relating to RPS.EXE. I found another 3, one of them was rpsupdater.exe and i found two blueyonderguardadvisors. After all of them had been ended, connections finally ran through.

As i said before though, doing this also closes your firewall, antispyware, virus scans, just anything related to PC Guard. But one thing i did notice was that PC Guard (RPS.exe) was using the most memory out of all the processes, and i do notice a slight increase of speed opening programmes, compared to PC Guard letting them through.

One question. If it's this easy for a teenager to shut down a whole program that's supposed to protect your computer, then it'll be a doddle for a trojan!
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Wed 06/05/09 at 16:56
Regular
"How Ironic"
Parents. How annoying can they be, especially for young people like myself. More so annoying, parents who know how to use computers a bit, well one of them does anyway. Obviously to avert my young, but mature, eyes from any violent or inappropriate pictures and videos, most of which are harmless when it comes down to it, all parents have to call upon is PC guard.

This has to be the most annoying thing on my computer. You cannot open up any program or application without a little box popping up asking you for a password to let it through the firewall to access the internet. "MSN Messenger - This is a restricted program. To allow access to this program in the future, don't use a rubbish firewall program".

Luckily, I'm alot better on computers than they are. I took a very risky move, but as long as i played it safe, it would work, and still works to this very day.

On my first attempt, i tried simply closing down PC Guard by guessing the password. As you can probably apprehend, this did not work. So i started thinking technically. What did i do to close down any other programs when they were crashing on me. And then it came to me. A little application called Task Manager.

We're all familiar with Task Manager. Its accessible by simply pressing CTRL, ALT and DELETE all at the same time. This opens up a little window showing you all the programs running on your computer.

When i noticed PC Guard was on this list, and clicked end task. Still to no prevail. Finally i had a break through. I right-clicked PC Guard, and clicked on 'Go to Process'. This took me straight to the process PC Guard was running with, which was called RPS.EXE. Quite simply I ended this process. I thought i had it all done, but no, connections were still being blocked. Finally i searched through the short process list to find any programmes relating to RPS.EXE. I found another 3, one of them was rpsupdater.exe and i found two blueyonderguardadvisors. After all of them had been ended, connections finally ran through.

As i said before though, doing this also closes your firewall, antispyware, virus scans, just anything related to PC Guard. But one thing i did notice was that PC Guard (RPS.exe) was using the most memory out of all the processes, and i do notice a slight increase of speed opening programmes, compared to PC Guard letting them through.

One question. If it's this easy for a teenager to shut down a whole program that's supposed to protect your computer, then it'll be a doddle for a trojan!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.