GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Pikmin 2"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'pikmin 2'.
Tue 05/05/09 at 00:30
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Ever since Nintendo announced its New Play Control line-up there has been mixed comments. Some see it as an ideal chance to try out those classic titles you may have missed on the little purple box while others believe it’s just a quick way of Nintendo making some easy cash without actually making a new game from scratch. Whatever the case may be, you simply cannot deny the quality of some of the titles that Nintendo have felt the need to re release, and Pikmin 2 is one you should definitely consider buying.

For the record I played the original on the Gamecube and loved it, and had a few attempts on my friend’s copy of the sequel. This has pretty much been a whole new experience for me and I loved every minute.

Picking up right where the first ended, Olimar makes it back to his home planet, only to wish he hadn’t as he finds out his company has gone under and the owner has got himself in 10,000 Pokos worth of debt. Upon discovering that “trash” found on the Pikmin planet is worth a fortune on his, Olimar and Louie then head back in search of more to repay their debit. The story is simple but the opening movie itself while amusing is also of great quality too. Right from the get go you know this is going to outdo the original title.

In Pikmin 2 you take control of Olimar (and now Louie) while ordering around up to 100 Pikmin. They are weird little critters that see you as a leader and will perform actions like picking up and carrying back treasures, building bridges and doing battle with bigger enemies. There are five different types in total and each have their own unique skills and weaknesses. Reds for example are the strongest and immune to fire while blues can swim and yellows survive electric currents. The new additions purple and white fit in well with the first offering more lifting power and extra weight and the latter being able to dig up buried treasure and poison unsuspecting enemies when eaten. Managing what types to take where is crucial throughout the game as a poor ratio of one colour can often lead to deaths and failure.

Spread over four different levels you choose where you wish to land your spaceship and then start exploring. Every day lasts about fifteen minutes and then the sun lowers and you and your Pikmin must retreat to the night’s sky. Time management plays a big role here as you’ll need to keep your eye on the timer making sure to leave no one behind. While on the surface you’ll find a small handful of treasures and come across some nasty enemies, it’s in the caverns where things get interesting. Littered throughout the stages are holes leading to caves underground. Upon entering time will stop on the surface and what you are faced with is a series of floors filled with enemies, treasures and traps. Things are more relaxed without the time limit, but things are far from breezy as you’ll be tested to the limits with increasing difficult enemies and then finally a tough boss battle. What’s more you cannot regain Pikmin that you’ve lost, so what you take in with you is all you have. It’s nice to finally have a tough Nintendo game on the Wii after so long.

The amount to do in this game is vast. Not only do you have the main story mode (which will last you a good while with 201 treasures to find in all) but later you unlock a two player battle and challenge mode. The first is a really fun split screen option that pits you and a friend against each other to either battle to the death or grab and retrieve a handful of marbles. At first I wasn’t so sure the idea would translate well to multiplayer but I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised. The challenge mode is basically thirty levels where the idea is to collect as much treasure as possible in a certain time limit. Loss of Pikmin can lose you points, while spare time is an added bonus, so deciding whether to ignore a battle and save time or attempt it for more cash is often tough. It’s just a shame there aren’t online leaderboards.
I also loved the Piklopedia and Treasure Guide. Any enemy you have come across throughout the adventure mode will be added into a log where you can view them and read up about them. This applies too for any treasure you’ve collected offering information as well as a catchy sales pitch. It’s also fun to notice real-life references like Duracell and a pack of Bowser branded matches. The collecting idea worked for Smash Bros Brawl and it works here too.

Perhaps the only major change in the game itself after moving over to the Wii, is the use of the Wii controls. Even before buying this game I knew the controls would be perfectly suited to managing your Pikmin armies and to no surprise it proved true. Moving Olimar and Louie is done with the analogue while A and B buttons allow you to throw and whistle your Pikmin back respectively. The D-Pad and 1 and 2 buttons are used for camera angles and potions. This is all very basic stuff, but it’s the pointing functionality that really separates this from its Gamecube counterpart. Being able to aim on screen to perform errands is such a step up from having to use just a regular gamepad. It makes managing you Pikmin by colour, battling and multi tasking a lot easier.

Visually things look nice and while not challenging the likes of other Nintendo games like Galaxy or Brawl, bear in mind this is a Gamcube title and not one from the ground up. With 100 different coloured and flowered Pikmin on screen and environments ranging from a snowy overworld to a strange shower room and child’s play space you’ll find it hard to complain. The music too is a highlight with soft melodies playing throughout often changing depending on time of day or events. The little yelps of Pikmin are funny too and I’d be lying if I was to say I wasn’t saddened upon hearing them let out one final noise before being eaten by an enemy.

So what if this is nearly a five year old game? The quality here still shines through and puts so many Wii titles out there to shame. If you haven't played this then get it now. If you have then I warn you there isn't much new here other than an improved control system.

As far as I’m concerned Pikmin is now one of Nintendo’s AAA series and playing this has rekindled my love for the little creatures. With news of a third Pikmin being made for Wii, after playing this I for one cannot wait.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Tue 05/05/09 at 00:30
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Ever since Nintendo announced its New Play Control line-up there has been mixed comments. Some see it as an ideal chance to try out those classic titles you may have missed on the little purple box while others believe it’s just a quick way of Nintendo making some easy cash without actually making a new game from scratch. Whatever the case may be, you simply cannot deny the quality of some of the titles that Nintendo have felt the need to re release, and Pikmin 2 is one you should definitely consider buying.

For the record I played the original on the Gamecube and loved it, and had a few attempts on my friend’s copy of the sequel. This has pretty much been a whole new experience for me and I loved every minute.

Picking up right where the first ended, Olimar makes it back to his home planet, only to wish he hadn’t as he finds out his company has gone under and the owner has got himself in 10,000 Pokos worth of debt. Upon discovering that “trash” found on the Pikmin planet is worth a fortune on his, Olimar and Louie then head back in search of more to repay their debit. The story is simple but the opening movie itself while amusing is also of great quality too. Right from the get go you know this is going to outdo the original title.

In Pikmin 2 you take control of Olimar (and now Louie) while ordering around up to 100 Pikmin. They are weird little critters that see you as a leader and will perform actions like picking up and carrying back treasures, building bridges and doing battle with bigger enemies. There are five different types in total and each have their own unique skills and weaknesses. Reds for example are the strongest and immune to fire while blues can swim and yellows survive electric currents. The new additions purple and white fit in well with the first offering more lifting power and extra weight and the latter being able to dig up buried treasure and poison unsuspecting enemies when eaten. Managing what types to take where is crucial throughout the game as a poor ratio of one colour can often lead to deaths and failure.

Spread over four different levels you choose where you wish to land your spaceship and then start exploring. Every day lasts about fifteen minutes and then the sun lowers and you and your Pikmin must retreat to the night’s sky. Time management plays a big role here as you’ll need to keep your eye on the timer making sure to leave no one behind. While on the surface you’ll find a small handful of treasures and come across some nasty enemies, it’s in the caverns where things get interesting. Littered throughout the stages are holes leading to caves underground. Upon entering time will stop on the surface and what you are faced with is a series of floors filled with enemies, treasures and traps. Things are more relaxed without the time limit, but things are far from breezy as you’ll be tested to the limits with increasing difficult enemies and then finally a tough boss battle. What’s more you cannot regain Pikmin that you’ve lost, so what you take in with you is all you have. It’s nice to finally have a tough Nintendo game on the Wii after so long.

The amount to do in this game is vast. Not only do you have the main story mode (which will last you a good while with 201 treasures to find in all) but later you unlock a two player battle and challenge mode. The first is a really fun split screen option that pits you and a friend against each other to either battle to the death or grab and retrieve a handful of marbles. At first I wasn’t so sure the idea would translate well to multiplayer but I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised. The challenge mode is basically thirty levels where the idea is to collect as much treasure as possible in a certain time limit. Loss of Pikmin can lose you points, while spare time is an added bonus, so deciding whether to ignore a battle and save time or attempt it for more cash is often tough. It’s just a shame there aren’t online leaderboards.
I also loved the Piklopedia and Treasure Guide. Any enemy you have come across throughout the adventure mode will be added into a log where you can view them and read up about them. This applies too for any treasure you’ve collected offering information as well as a catchy sales pitch. It’s also fun to notice real-life references like Duracell and a pack of Bowser branded matches. The collecting idea worked for Smash Bros Brawl and it works here too.

Perhaps the only major change in the game itself after moving over to the Wii, is the use of the Wii controls. Even before buying this game I knew the controls would be perfectly suited to managing your Pikmin armies and to no surprise it proved true. Moving Olimar and Louie is done with the analogue while A and B buttons allow you to throw and whistle your Pikmin back respectively. The D-Pad and 1 and 2 buttons are used for camera angles and potions. This is all very basic stuff, but it’s the pointing functionality that really separates this from its Gamecube counterpart. Being able to aim on screen to perform errands is such a step up from having to use just a regular gamepad. It makes managing you Pikmin by colour, battling and multi tasking a lot easier.

Visually things look nice and while not challenging the likes of other Nintendo games like Galaxy or Brawl, bear in mind this is a Gamcube title and not one from the ground up. With 100 different coloured and flowered Pikmin on screen and environments ranging from a snowy overworld to a strange shower room and child’s play space you’ll find it hard to complain. The music too is a highlight with soft melodies playing throughout often changing depending on time of day or events. The little yelps of Pikmin are funny too and I’d be lying if I was to say I wasn’t saddened upon hearing them let out one final noise before being eaten by an enemy.

So what if this is nearly a five year old game? The quality here still shines through and puts so many Wii titles out there to shame. If you haven't played this then get it now. If you have then I warn you there isn't much new here other than an improved control system.

As far as I’m concerned Pikmin is now one of Nintendo’s AAA series and playing this has rekindled my love for the little creatures. With news of a third Pikmin being made for Wii, after playing this I for one cannot wait.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.