GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Please Help - Problem with PC. Cant figure it out."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 20/07/03 at 16:26
Regular
My computer was working fine an hour ago and i shut it down correctly. But i turned it back on again just now and to put it one way it is F*****!

The resolution has changed, all the colours are grainy also it cannot detect any sound devices. I cant understand why this has happened. Ive done a virus scan and nothing has been found. I havent downloaded anything for the last few days so it cant be that. I just cant think what can be wrong. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? and more importantly any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.
Sun 20/07/03 at 16:26
Regular
My computer was working fine an hour ago and i shut it down correctly. But i turned it back on again just now and to put it one way it is F*****!

The resolution has changed, all the colours are grainy also it cannot detect any sound devices. I cant understand why this has happened. Ive done a virus scan and nothing has been found. I havent downloaded anything for the last few days so it cant be that. I just cant think what can be wrong. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? and more importantly any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.
Sun 20/07/03 at 16:38
Regular
"Acid Casual"
What OS you using?

If its NT/2000/XP have a look in the event viewer and see what is happening.

You have onboard sound and video?

Basically give us your spec and we'll go from there..
Sun 20/07/03 at 16:40
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
It sounds liek your computer has started in Safe Mode. This is how to fix the problem:

- Restart your computer
- As you restart, hold the CTRL key until a small list of options appears.
- From this list, select option 1 - Normal

I am assuming you have Windows 98 or a newer version. Please tell me if you aren't
Sun 20/07/03 at 18:22
Regular
i have windows me.

i dont know if i have onboard sound.

ill try the safemode thing now and let you know if it works.

thanks a lot.
Sun 20/07/03 at 18:33
Regular
Nope that didnt work.

Ill try and tell you a little bit more about the problem. I usually run at 800x600 but my pc is currently running at a resolution of 640x480 and also only running at 16 colours, this is obviously the problem with the screen colour error that i have. But when i go to Control Panel > Display > Settings and alter these to what they should be it says i must reset before the changes can take place. I reset and nothing changes, and when i go back to the display settings they have just stayed at 640x480.

Also the sound won't work at all. When i go to programs such as Sound Recorder it tells me that now devices have been found and tells me to add a sound device. All my documents etc open ok it just seems the display and sound are the only things not working.

The last time i was on the pc before i suffered these problem i was playing Championship Manager and then went on the net for about 10mins to check my email. I didnt download or install anything different and i shut down the computer correctly without error. So i cant understand why i suddenly have these problems.

I dont know much about the hardware of a computer but may it have something to do with Sound & Graphic cards being uninstalled or changed accidently? Because they are the two i am having difficulies with. But i dont think the 2 are associated with each other so i dont really know whats wrong.

Any more ideas?

If you need more info just ask me.
Mon 21/07/03 at 11:47
Regular
please im desperate
Mon 21/07/03 at 11:52
Regular
Reinstall the drivers for ure sound cards and maybe ure graphics card so u can get the coulours back.

Right click on ure desktop click properties and then click on the appearence tab and change the colour tab to true coulour.
Mon 21/07/03 at 11:59
Regular
ok thanks, how do i reinstall them?

sorry if thats a stupid question but like i said im not very knowledgable when it comes to hardware.
Mon 21/07/03 at 12:00
Regular
just get the cds for them, sometihng similiar happened to my laptop, i changed the Screen size and the colour to high colour 16bit then restarted the system, then i was able to change the colour back to true colour and all worked fine.
Mon 21/07/03 at 12:02
Regular
rite ok thanks mate. il just have to try n find the discs, sure ive got em sumwhere.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.