GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Please Help - Problem with PC. Cant figure it out."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 20/07/03 at 16:26
Regular
My computer was working fine an hour ago and i shut it down correctly. But i turned it back on again just now and to put it one way it is F*****!

The resolution has changed, all the colours are grainy also it cannot detect any sound devices. I cant understand why this has happened. Ive done a virus scan and nothing has been found. I havent downloaded anything for the last few days so it cant be that. I just cant think what can be wrong. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? and more importantly any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.
Sun 27/07/03 at 00:38
Regular
"programmers rule!"
oh its not fixed! Its windows ME! its screwed up big time! if it happens again just hit the restart buton and it'll load normally. and keep an eye out for a windows protection error. i bet you'll have that come up soon! tell me if it does and we'll wage war against microsoft.
THEY CAN'T KILL US ALL!!!
yeah, so, keep an eye out for that windows protection error.
Tue 22/07/03 at 12:43
Regular
Thanks for all your help.

Ive got it sorted now. I rang up my manufacturers support line and they helped me sort it out.

It turned out that their was a fault in the Windows ME system files causing the error with the sound so i reinstalled Windows ME.

The display problem was solved by downloading the latest drivers from Nvidia, im not sure what caused the display fault but its fixed now so thats what matters.

Thanks again.
Mon 21/07/03 at 18:23
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I've had this problem many times and the only ways I have found to fix it are reinstall the drivers and/or check for safe mode. I am using Windows 98 though, so the problem might be different. Resetting from safe mode didn't work for you, so all I can suggest is reinstalling the drivers.

Also, another problem which happened to me, if the sound doesn't work or sounds muffled or distorted, check the cables in the back of the speakers.
Mon 21/07/03 at 13:58
Regular
I think that the problem is a general Windows ME fault, i did though have this problem once when our hardrive had been formatted, there was a problem with the registry which kept on changing back to old settings.
Mon 21/07/03 at 13:40
Regular
Me is your prob :o
Mon 21/07/03 at 13:15
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Twain wrote:

> - Restart your computer
> - As you restart, hold the CTRL key until a small list of options
> appears.
> - From this list, select option 1 - Normal

Didn't know you could do this, you learn something every day !
Mon 21/07/03 at 13:03
Regular
i got the menu up but it didnt work when i opened it in normal, so that musnt be the problem. I cant find the discs for my drivers anywhere, can i download them anywhere from the net?

My GFX card is : NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX400

Not sure about my sound card.

At the moment it looks as if this problem isnt gona be solved any time soon. :(

Thanks for all your help. More still needed though! :)
Mon 21/07/03 at 12:14
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
makaveli666 wrote:
> Nope that didnt work.

Did that mean the menu didn't come up?

If so, try tapping either CTRL (as Twain said) or F8 when you boot up the PC. (or both if you wanna save time!)

Then you'll get the menu up.
Mon 21/07/03 at 12:07
Regular
good luck, im sure the computers just forogt some of its settings. The reason i was able to change the stuff on my laptop without using the cd is because the sound and graphics are onboard.
Mon 21/07/03 at 12:02
Regular
rite ok thanks mate. il just have to try n find the discs, sure ive got em sumwhere.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.