GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Accessing PC files remotely"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 04/05/09 at 21:21
"possibly impossible"
Access to PC files can be a pain if you're away from your home and realise you left that all important document on your home PC. But by having your PC available over the internet you will have access to files at any time.

Pros and Cons
The biggest downside to using this method is always going to be leaving your PC on in the first place. But having good power management and a greener setup will improve matters, plus you don’t need the monitor on or any external equipment (unless you want to leave a webcam or external HDD plugged in).

If you simply want to backup your files then I’d suggest a look at Hmmm…’s post on this thread, which would allow you to backup to a smaller source (CD or external HDD perhaps) to carry around with you.

Security may be another issue, but with the right firewall and protection any proper setup should be fine.

The pros, however, outweigh the cons; availability to the latest version of your files, being able to syncronise and update your documents and even access to webcams or to your music files on the move with a PDA.

Static IP?
The main issue with linking to your home PC will always be the ability to remember your IP address, and with some ISPs this may even change all the time. This is where you’ll need to use a dynamic DNS service to create an address.

Having one single IP address means you’ll be able to constantly link to your home equipment or files on any PC or Windows mobile device, there are several free services available but dyndns is the one I’ve tested out and it works well with no fuss to get it up and running. You simply need to go to their website and follow the instructions.

The other benefit (if your router supports both USB and dyndns) is that you may not have to have your PC turned on at all.

External Drives and Routers
Many newer routers now have USB connections built in that will let you plug either a printer or an external Hard Drive in. The Hard Drive option is fantastic if you want to access your files from any computer on that network.

While this works well in a house, using Dyndns or another Dynamic DNS solution (including an ISP that will let you set up a static IP address) you can use the Hard Drive from anywhere in the world. This option is certainly the most useful for those who just want file access without the frills and is as simple as plugging your HDD in to the USB port of the router, ensuring you have a note of your static IP or dynamic DNS address and then leaving the HDD on.
Mon 04/05/09 at 21:21
"possibly impossible"
Access to PC files can be a pain if you're away from your home and realise you left that all important document on your home PC. But by having your PC available over the internet you will have access to files at any time.

Pros and Cons
The biggest downside to using this method is always going to be leaving your PC on in the first place. But having good power management and a greener setup will improve matters, plus you don’t need the monitor on or any external equipment (unless you want to leave a webcam or external HDD plugged in).

If you simply want to backup your files then I’d suggest a look at Hmmm…’s post on this thread, which would allow you to backup to a smaller source (CD or external HDD perhaps) to carry around with you.

Security may be another issue, but with the right firewall and protection any proper setup should be fine.

The pros, however, outweigh the cons; availability to the latest version of your files, being able to syncronise and update your documents and even access to webcams or to your music files on the move with a PDA.

Static IP?
The main issue with linking to your home PC will always be the ability to remember your IP address, and with some ISPs this may even change all the time. This is where you’ll need to use a dynamic DNS service to create an address.

Having one single IP address means you’ll be able to constantly link to your home equipment or files on any PC or Windows mobile device, there are several free services available but dyndns is the one I’ve tested out and it works well with no fuss to get it up and running. You simply need to go to their website and follow the instructions.

The other benefit (if your router supports both USB and dyndns) is that you may not have to have your PC turned on at all.

External Drives and Routers
Many newer routers now have USB connections built in that will let you plug either a printer or an external Hard Drive in. The Hard Drive option is fantastic if you want to access your files from any computer on that network.

While this works well in a house, using Dyndns or another Dynamic DNS solution (including an ISP that will let you set up a static IP address) you can use the Hard Drive from anywhere in the world. This option is certainly the most useful for those who just want file access without the frills and is as simple as plugging your HDD in to the USB port of the router, ensuring you have a note of your static IP or dynamic DNS address and then leaving the HDD on.
Tue 05/05/09 at 09:07
Regular
Hi Pb

Thanks for this - the link to their web site just takes you back to the freeola chat forum, is that correct? good post though I will give it a try some time

Digi
Tue 05/05/09 at 09:23
"Are you sure?"
Hi Digi - here's the corrected link www.dyndns.com.

pb - In case you didn't realise Freeola give you a free static IP address! :¬)

In fact you can have up to 8 free static IP addresses.

What 'remote desktop' software are you using?

I'll convert you to Freeola eventually ;¬)
Search Freeola Chat
Tue 05/05/09 at 12:36
"possibly impossible"
Just using windows own remote desktop for fixing issues on my brother-in-law's PC and used Dyndns when I went to Spain last year.

Since then I've added an external HDD to my network. but now BT have sent me a new 2.0 hub it doesn't work, damn them.

BT broadband is up for renewal in September, so Freeola may well be getting another customer. Good to see they allow static IP addresses too, it seems to be the exception rather than the rule.
Tue 05/05/09 at 18:37
Regular
"DigitalBloodSports"
Have been using Freeola for along time now got fed up with BT support. Been a really good move for me along with the free stadic ip addresses you also get free unlimited web space even if you are not intrested in publishing large files just password protect them with zip or rar
good free digital storage
But the best part for me is the support its not 24/7 only 9AM to 9PM and they still use 0845 @ 10 p per min. However compared the "Free BT Support line". It's cheep at twice the price. when i had a few probs after a few min the guy asked if i would like to hang up they call me back and they did 5 min later with the answer.
Tue 05/05/09 at 18:44
Regular
"DigitalBloodSports"
much better then Remote Desktop i think is
www.hamachi.cc

we setup a vertual LAN using this to render 3Dmax files using backburner
doesnt even require a stadic ip address
Fri 08/05/09 at 11:56
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
FknDummBstrd wrote:

> you also get free unlimited web space even
> if you are not intrested in publishing large files just password
> protect them with zip or rar
> good free digital storage

Please bare in mind that our web hosting services are not intended for digital storage for customers to back up their files etc.

This infact goes against our Terms and Conditions listed here

FknDummBstrd wrote:

> But the best part for me is the support its not 24/7 only 9AM to
> 9PM

Our opening times are 08:30 until 20:00 too :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.