GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"(Film) Anvil ! The Story Of Anvil"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 04/05/09 at 00:09
Regular
"I like turtles"
‘Anvil ! The Story Of Anvil’ tells the story of a Canadian heavy metal band.Formed in 1973 when two 14 year friends Steve ‘Lips’ Kudlow and Robb Reiner made a pact that they were going to ‘rock forever’.They enjoyed some minor success in the early 1980’s before disappearing into total obscurity for the next 20 years.Despite this minor setback they never gave up,never gave in and twelve albums later are still very much a band.I have been a heavy metal fan since my early teens and the very fact I had never heard of this band convinced me I was watching some kind of Spinal Tap/Bad News style mockumentary.Especially as the drummers name is Robb Reiner (‘This is Spinal Tap’ was directed by Rob Reiner) and with ridiculous song titles such as ‘Five Knuckle Shuffle’,’Hair Pie’ and ‘Bondage’ I was convinced that I was watching some sort of very elaborate hoax.

The film opens with footage shot of them on stage in Japan in 1984 where they supported the likes of Bon Jovi,Whitesnake and The Scorpions.The next footage shows interviews with members of Motorhead,Anthrax,Slayer and Metallica who all admit the band had an influence on them.Legendary guitarist Slash offers his take on the situation with the line :

‘As big as an influence as they had on everyone.Everyone just sort of just ripped them off and then left them for dead’

I was intrigued,and from this point the film had my undivided attention.Which it held until its very last frame.

The two main band members hold down low paid menial day jobs.Reiner works in home redevelopment while Lips is a delivery driver for a meals on wheels type of operation.Reiner in particular finds his day job a soul sapping affair,while Lips just gets on with his as he is convinced that their forthcoming album ‘This Is Thirteen’ is the one that is going to give the band the break they have been desperately craving for the last 30 years.Come evening time,the band plays in local pubs and clubs to small but generally very enthusiastic audiences.

Seemingly out of the blue,they receive an email from an Eastern European lady named Tiziana.She informs them that she has been a fan of the band for the last 15 years and if she can be their manager she can book them a European tour.They accept,and take breaks from their day jobs to commence on their biggest tour in 20 years.

Unfortunately when they arrive in Europe things aren’t quite what they had hoped for.They travel by train and bus from one very small and sparsely attended venue to another.One scene when a manager refuses to pay them after they have played to his virtually empty bar is actually quite difficult to watch.While Tiziana has clearly put her heart and soul into arranging this tour,it quickly becomes apparent to the band that she may not be the greatest manager in the world.They do manage to finish the tour but its a total disaster and yet another cruelly disappointing blow for a band that you feel have probably got used to this feeling by now.

Yet once they get back in Canada,Lips (who is still as enthusiastic and optimistic as ever) decides that their failed tour was little more than a minor setback and once they get their new album out everything will finally come good for them.They cannot find a record label to finance this project so they decide that they are going to have to record it themselves.However,this will cost around $13,000 (which they do not have),but as ever Lips convinces the band that they will get the money,whatever it takes.

This is a truly unbelievable story that gives a real insight into this unique band and the effect that the last 30 years has clearly had on their families and close friends.They have had people constantly tell them to forget their dream,to get over it and grow up.Yet somehow you feel that was never really an option for them.I can honestly say I have never seen anything quite like this film.It made me genuinely feel for these guys and sincerely hope that this story would indeed have a happy ending.

It was made by filmmaker Sacha Gervasi (who wrote the Tom Hanks film ‘The Terminal’).He was a fan of the band in his early teens and when he was 15 actually became a roadie for them.When he met up with the band 20 years later,he convinced them that they had to tell the world their story.Infact,only someone who was close to the band could really have made this film and Gervasi has done an outstanding job.Anvil’s music and the genre of their music pretty much takes a back seat in this film.This is a story about a couple of teenage kids who had a dream and never gave up on that dream.Its a story about hope and friendship and about always staying positive,regardless of how the odds seem to be stacked against you.

Following the release of this documentary,Anvil have been invited to play at this years Download music festival and at Metal Hammer magazines ‘Golden Gods’ award ceremony.Finally,they may just get the reception that they have been waiting 3 decades for.

Totally recommended 9/10.
Mon 04/05/09 at 13:05
Regular
Agreed. This was a great, heartbreaking film.
Mon 04/05/09 at 00:09
Regular
"I like turtles"
‘Anvil ! The Story Of Anvil’ tells the story of a Canadian heavy metal band.Formed in 1973 when two 14 year friends Steve ‘Lips’ Kudlow and Robb Reiner made a pact that they were going to ‘rock forever’.They enjoyed some minor success in the early 1980’s before disappearing into total obscurity for the next 20 years.Despite this minor setback they never gave up,never gave in and twelve albums later are still very much a band.I have been a heavy metal fan since my early teens and the very fact I had never heard of this band convinced me I was watching some kind of Spinal Tap/Bad News style mockumentary.Especially as the drummers name is Robb Reiner (‘This is Spinal Tap’ was directed by Rob Reiner) and with ridiculous song titles such as ‘Five Knuckle Shuffle’,’Hair Pie’ and ‘Bondage’ I was convinced that I was watching some sort of very elaborate hoax.

The film opens with footage shot of them on stage in Japan in 1984 where they supported the likes of Bon Jovi,Whitesnake and The Scorpions.The next footage shows interviews with members of Motorhead,Anthrax,Slayer and Metallica who all admit the band had an influence on them.Legendary guitarist Slash offers his take on the situation with the line :

‘As big as an influence as they had on everyone.Everyone just sort of just ripped them off and then left them for dead’

I was intrigued,and from this point the film had my undivided attention.Which it held until its very last frame.

The two main band members hold down low paid menial day jobs.Reiner works in home redevelopment while Lips is a delivery driver for a meals on wheels type of operation.Reiner in particular finds his day job a soul sapping affair,while Lips just gets on with his as he is convinced that their forthcoming album ‘This Is Thirteen’ is the one that is going to give the band the break they have been desperately craving for the last 30 years.Come evening time,the band plays in local pubs and clubs to small but generally very enthusiastic audiences.

Seemingly out of the blue,they receive an email from an Eastern European lady named Tiziana.She informs them that she has been a fan of the band for the last 15 years and if she can be their manager she can book them a European tour.They accept,and take breaks from their day jobs to commence on their biggest tour in 20 years.

Unfortunately when they arrive in Europe things aren’t quite what they had hoped for.They travel by train and bus from one very small and sparsely attended venue to another.One scene when a manager refuses to pay them after they have played to his virtually empty bar is actually quite difficult to watch.While Tiziana has clearly put her heart and soul into arranging this tour,it quickly becomes apparent to the band that she may not be the greatest manager in the world.They do manage to finish the tour but its a total disaster and yet another cruelly disappointing blow for a band that you feel have probably got used to this feeling by now.

Yet once they get back in Canada,Lips (who is still as enthusiastic and optimistic as ever) decides that their failed tour was little more than a minor setback and once they get their new album out everything will finally come good for them.They cannot find a record label to finance this project so they decide that they are going to have to record it themselves.However,this will cost around $13,000 (which they do not have),but as ever Lips convinces the band that they will get the money,whatever it takes.

This is a truly unbelievable story that gives a real insight into this unique band and the effect that the last 30 years has clearly had on their families and close friends.They have had people constantly tell them to forget their dream,to get over it and grow up.Yet somehow you feel that was never really an option for them.I can honestly say I have never seen anything quite like this film.It made me genuinely feel for these guys and sincerely hope that this story would indeed have a happy ending.

It was made by filmmaker Sacha Gervasi (who wrote the Tom Hanks film ‘The Terminal’).He was a fan of the band in his early teens and when he was 15 actually became a roadie for them.When he met up with the band 20 years later,he convinced them that they had to tell the world their story.Infact,only someone who was close to the band could really have made this film and Gervasi has done an outstanding job.Anvil’s music and the genre of their music pretty much takes a back seat in this film.This is a story about a couple of teenage kids who had a dream and never gave up on that dream.Its a story about hope and friendship and about always staying positive,regardless of how the odds seem to be stacked against you.

Following the release of this documentary,Anvil have been invited to play at this years Download music festival and at Metal Hammer magazines ‘Golden Gods’ award ceremony.Finally,they may just get the reception that they have been waiting 3 decades for.

Totally recommended 9/10.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.