GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"MEMORY CARDS"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 15/02/01 at 15:11
Regular
Can I use original playstation memory cards to play original playstation games on my PS2?
I have inserted card and tried to resume playing TLR and Driver 2 but I only get the 'New Game' option , there is no indication that it is reading the old card
Or do I need PS2 card and start all over again!
And can I transfer old data onto a new 8MB card?
Thu 15/02/01 at 15:11
Can I use original playstation memory cards to play original playstation games on my PS2?
I have inserted card and tried to resume playing TLR and Driver 2 but I only get the 'New Game' option , there is no indication that it is reading the old card
Or do I need PS2 card and start all over again!
And can I transfer old data onto a new 8MB card?
Thu 15/02/01 at 15:19
You shouldn't need a new card. I've used an old one to carry on my never ending NHL 99 season. What do you see if you use the Browser?
Thu 15/02/01 at 16:32
sure it says 'no card inserted', or similar....will try again with more time tonight ...but certainly, with a disc in and with the card inserted in TLR the only option I was given was 'New Game'...not 'Load Game'...which indicates that it wasn't acknowledging the card
Thu 15/02/01 at 17:29
Interesting. What make of card is it? Mine's a Sony. I guess you get the same problem with the second port?
Thu 15/02/01 at 20:16
"High polygon count"
You shouldn't have any problem, as devo says.

I have both of the games you mention, and both carried over fine from my PS1.

Certainly a PS2 card will not help you, as PS1 games cannot be saved to or loaded from them. (I've heard that a PS2 card can be used to store PS1 saves purely as a backup, but I've not tried it, so I'm not sure.)

Do you have any other PS1 cards that work correctly? If so (and if there's enough space), copy your saves to another card and try formatting the 'faulty' card to see if that corrects the problem.

When you say "do I need a PS2 card and start all over again", are you implying that you don't have any PS2 memory cards? If not, do you know anyone else with a PS2? If so, try one of their PS2 cards in your machine and see if that is detected; if it isn't, the memory card port may be faulty. If a PS2 card does work, then I wouldn't have thought that there's a problem with the PS2 itself.

Basically, try various combinations of cards and ports to try and narrow down the problem.

Hope this helps!
Fri 16/02/01 at 03:41
Youre right wookie you can use the PS2 card for backup of PS1 game saves i have done it quite a bit and have had no probs when putting them back to the PS1 card.

anyway i think the problem he may be haveing is that he probably has his PS2 card in the no.1 slot and PS1 games will not detect it saying there is nothing there, and i am sure that TR does not use the no.2 slot so if he removes the PS1 card and puts it in the no.1 slot it shouldnt be a problem, it works for me!
best of luck
Fri 16/02/01 at 07:59
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I had a problem with Final Fantasy 8. I tried to load my old game up and it didnt even recognise a memory card was in their. I went to the browser and it said you had to format the card so I did. All the data was wiped off but I could use it on my PS2.
Fri 16/02/01 at 09:19
Hey boys!
Some helpful responses, but methinks this is a 'fault' (not really) that Sony must have known about
I don't have a PS2 card yet, will get one over the w/e
I have tried 2 cards, neither a Sony one , and I have only tried port 1, didn't think there would be any advantage in trying the other.
One is a 2-sided Gamester card with an LED to indicate which 'side'is being accessed, I flip sides by pressing L1 & L2...this does not work at all on PS2
The other is an Electronic Boutique 1MB card, neither have given me any problems before
On both, with TLR last night I was only given the option to start from scratch....but, then I was able to save and carry on as normal, unfortunately I'm 2/3 of the way thru the thing so this isn't an option, will try all options/ports at w/e and reply, but it's getting boring now so will find some more interesting subject matter:
What are the release dates for ZOE (March?), and Metal Gear 2 (October?)..bye for now.
Fri 16/02/01 at 09:21
OH,
one more thing, The Browser reads ''No Data'', for both cards.
Fri 16/02/01 at 09:37
Anyone else got some third party cards to try out? I have a couple, but not here unfortunately. I thought it may be worth trying port 2, just to check if port 1 was faulty.

But it does sound like it could be a problem with non Sony cards.... Or maybe a deliberate design feature :-I. Hmmmmm...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.