GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[FILM] X-Men Origins; Wolverine"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 01/05/09 at 09:42
Regular
"THFC"
[FILM] X-Men Origins; Wolverine
Life for Hugh Jackman has to be pretty good at the moment, recently voted as the sexiest man on the planet and famous for being one of the coolest comic book heroes we have ever seen. While Wolverine’s latest outing takes us back in time to see how it all began with this Canadian Mutant.

It is safe to say that this film has been on a lot of people’s hit list and May 29th could not come quick enough. With the X-men trilogy being high up there in the marvel fan’s favourite comic to film conversion, Origins was set to be the blockbuster we were all waiting for. While to many fans of the series the events that happen throughout the film will be no major shock, it is still great to finally see the all out action fights that go on and watch it all on the big screen. To fans of X-men who only know what the movies have told us, they will soon learn that Stan Lee (creator) has put a lot of time into his comics and given the characters a deep, involved and moving background.

The film starts off in the 1800’s where a young boy names James is in bed and he is not very well, his friend Victor and his father are there at his bedside. While Victor seems not to be very caring for his friend, James’ father on the other hand comes across as being a very considerate and nice man. A knock on the door from a drunken man, who turns out to be Victor’s dad ends badly for James, while his father goes down to see the man, he is shot. James hears the gunfire and he rushes down to see his dad on the floor, motionless. This sends him into a fit of rage and unleashes his bone claws! (Yes bone claws, a bit of a shock for some people as they did not realise he had these). During his rage, he attacks Victor’s dad, while lunging and thrusting his claws into his chest, the man manages to get his final words out, he was actually James’ father aswell! With this said the two young boys run off into the woods while being chased by the villagers.

The film then goes into a montage of the next 100 or so years where you see James (now known as Logan to everyone) and his brother Victor going through all the various wars that America took part in over the years. Their mutant healing abilities allow them to remain young and in top physical form for a huge duration of time, as the montage of war and action comes to a close we see Victor getting increasingly excited by the killing of people, even innocent women. Resulting in the surrounding platoon to turn on the brothers and send them for execution. While the two men stand tied to the post waiting for the gunfire, after the shots are heard the scene cuts back to them being locked up in jail (turns out it’s pretty hard to kill these guys!)

Both Logan and Victor are being held in a dark and dingy prison when a William Striker comes to pay them a visit, he tells them both about a special squad he is putting together and gets them to join in. The elite mutant unit is built up of several unique personnel who all have great skill or power. This is the point where the film really starts, we see several of the units missions and the final one that Logan goes on in Africa. Where they are after a rare metal that was found nearby, but when people start getting killed needlessly, Logan leaves. The film carries on from here with the unit disbanding and members being killed off. Logan has settled down as a lumberjack in the mountains, living a peaceful life with the woman he loves. When on one day, Striker is back to try lure Logan back into the team and help them out. After declining his offer, his feral senses kick in and he rushes to save his wife from his brother Victor! Getting there to late results in Wolverine losing his loved one and set out for revenge against his brother. The film stems off and proceeds to go through how Logan becomes Wolverine, gets the adamantium claws and makes and losses friends in the process of finding out the truth.

So that’s the plot, and while it sounds pretty simple, there are plenty of twists and turns to keep you anchored to your seat. Wolverine has probably had one of the biggest pasts of all comic book heroes and seeing it in motion is truly brilliant. We all know that Hugh Jackman IS Wolverine, he plays the part effortlessly and I think it is safe to say he will always have that character hanging over him, he will never play a role as well or be seen as anyone different. In-fact everyone in the film plays their part fantastically and just shows how much good casting can effect a film, even seeing Ryan Reynolds as Wade (Dead pool) is great, his light hearted and cocky persona mixed with some incredible dual sword wielding abilities make him one of the coolest mutants around! Even Will.I.am makes an appearance as spectre, a mutant who can teleport, while you would not expect him to do well in such a big film, he really delivers and plays a great role in the film. So I was very impressed with the plot and the cast, they all played their part and the on screen relations build throughout the film and make for some spectacular fights and scenes.

One of the biggest aspects in the film that people will enjoy watching is the fight scenes and all the various action Wolverine gets involved in, from taking down helicopters to jumping out of planes. It all looks great, with such a massive film the production and special FX costs are bound to be high, but it really pays off when you see it all on screen. The explosions looks great, the fighting choreography is sublime and some of the best fight scenes a marvel movie has seen. While it is no Jet-Li, seeing Wolverine stab and slash his way through people is something you really can’t afford to miss!

I sat there for just under 2 hours watching the film I had been waiting to see for such a long time, with this being the case it can very often turn out that you get disappointed with what you see and come away wishing it was different. I have to say that X-Men Origins; Wolverine is not in this category, it was everything and more I wanted. It was so good I will be going back to watch it with my mates on Tuesday, my girlfriend couldn’t stop talking about it and even writing this now I am just thinking that I wish it was on DVD (blu ray) so I could watch it again.

I am struggling to find a bad word to say about the film and the only negative thing I could suggest is that I would have liked to have seen mutant’s powers more. But it would then run the risk of not telling the story aswell and focusing on their abilities. Meaning that it would not flow in the correct way. So that is not really a negative, maybe the only other point I could say is that some of the fight scenes are short lives and we do not get to see the full extent of said character’s power. So only a minor one, but all said and done, this film can only really get one score from me, that has to be two thumbs up and a must see!
10/10
Thanks for reading!
Wed 06/05/09 at 14:40
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
The one thing I will say about the movie which made me laugh (even if it was just the trailer) was when Wolverine slices through the side of a jeep with his claws.!!!

Now I have to admit I do nit pick in movies, I enjoy the far fetched-ness of films, but also enjoy tearing them apart when they push things. This particular scene made me cringe >_<

Imagine how much force a moving jeep generates, and now think back to when you hilariously stuck a stick into your mates/younger sisters bike wheel. Don't know about anyone else but I ended up in the same sort of mess that they did. Now go back to the force from a moving jeep......

Still did not make the scene less enjoyable though. :D
Wed 06/05/09 at 07:45
Regular
"THFC"
I think the main issue is that it is not true to the comic (or graphic novels) and this upset a lot of people, but they have turned it into a good action film and a lot of the hardcore fans of the comics will be a bit disappointed, having never read them i reviewed only on the film. Which i think is really enjoyable.

I have however heard that deadpool is a lot cooler than he is in the film (and stays more like when ryan reynolds plays him at the starts) but i am only going on what a few friends have said.
Tue 05/05/09 at 20:01
Regular
I saw it, but I thought it was rubbish. Cliched, dodgy effects, they ruined Deadpool - Jackman and a few good bits of action were the only bits I liked. 5/10.
Mon 04/05/09 at 14:15
Regular
"THFC"
Anyone else been to see this yet?? Curious to know other people's thoughts!
Fri 01/05/09 at 09:42
Regular
"THFC"
[FILM] X-Men Origins; Wolverine
Life for Hugh Jackman has to be pretty good at the moment, recently voted as the sexiest man on the planet and famous for being one of the coolest comic book heroes we have ever seen. While Wolverine’s latest outing takes us back in time to see how it all began with this Canadian Mutant.

It is safe to say that this film has been on a lot of people’s hit list and May 29th could not come quick enough. With the X-men trilogy being high up there in the marvel fan’s favourite comic to film conversion, Origins was set to be the blockbuster we were all waiting for. While to many fans of the series the events that happen throughout the film will be no major shock, it is still great to finally see the all out action fights that go on and watch it all on the big screen. To fans of X-men who only know what the movies have told us, they will soon learn that Stan Lee (creator) has put a lot of time into his comics and given the characters a deep, involved and moving background.

The film starts off in the 1800’s where a young boy names James is in bed and he is not very well, his friend Victor and his father are there at his bedside. While Victor seems not to be very caring for his friend, James’ father on the other hand comes across as being a very considerate and nice man. A knock on the door from a drunken man, who turns out to be Victor’s dad ends badly for James, while his father goes down to see the man, he is shot. James hears the gunfire and he rushes down to see his dad on the floor, motionless. This sends him into a fit of rage and unleashes his bone claws! (Yes bone claws, a bit of a shock for some people as they did not realise he had these). During his rage, he attacks Victor’s dad, while lunging and thrusting his claws into his chest, the man manages to get his final words out, he was actually James’ father aswell! With this said the two young boys run off into the woods while being chased by the villagers.

The film then goes into a montage of the next 100 or so years where you see James (now known as Logan to everyone) and his brother Victor going through all the various wars that America took part in over the years. Their mutant healing abilities allow them to remain young and in top physical form for a huge duration of time, as the montage of war and action comes to a close we see Victor getting increasingly excited by the killing of people, even innocent women. Resulting in the surrounding platoon to turn on the brothers and send them for execution. While the two men stand tied to the post waiting for the gunfire, after the shots are heard the scene cuts back to them being locked up in jail (turns out it’s pretty hard to kill these guys!)

Both Logan and Victor are being held in a dark and dingy prison when a William Striker comes to pay them a visit, he tells them both about a special squad he is putting together and gets them to join in. The elite mutant unit is built up of several unique personnel who all have great skill or power. This is the point where the film really starts, we see several of the units missions and the final one that Logan goes on in Africa. Where they are after a rare metal that was found nearby, but when people start getting killed needlessly, Logan leaves. The film carries on from here with the unit disbanding and members being killed off. Logan has settled down as a lumberjack in the mountains, living a peaceful life with the woman he loves. When on one day, Striker is back to try lure Logan back into the team and help them out. After declining his offer, his feral senses kick in and he rushes to save his wife from his brother Victor! Getting there to late results in Wolverine losing his loved one and set out for revenge against his brother. The film stems off and proceeds to go through how Logan becomes Wolverine, gets the adamantium claws and makes and losses friends in the process of finding out the truth.

So that’s the plot, and while it sounds pretty simple, there are plenty of twists and turns to keep you anchored to your seat. Wolverine has probably had one of the biggest pasts of all comic book heroes and seeing it in motion is truly brilliant. We all know that Hugh Jackman IS Wolverine, he plays the part effortlessly and I think it is safe to say he will always have that character hanging over him, he will never play a role as well or be seen as anyone different. In-fact everyone in the film plays their part fantastically and just shows how much good casting can effect a film, even seeing Ryan Reynolds as Wade (Dead pool) is great, his light hearted and cocky persona mixed with some incredible dual sword wielding abilities make him one of the coolest mutants around! Even Will.I.am makes an appearance as spectre, a mutant who can teleport, while you would not expect him to do well in such a big film, he really delivers and plays a great role in the film. So I was very impressed with the plot and the cast, they all played their part and the on screen relations build throughout the film and make for some spectacular fights and scenes.

One of the biggest aspects in the film that people will enjoy watching is the fight scenes and all the various action Wolverine gets involved in, from taking down helicopters to jumping out of planes. It all looks great, with such a massive film the production and special FX costs are bound to be high, but it really pays off when you see it all on screen. The explosions looks great, the fighting choreography is sublime and some of the best fight scenes a marvel movie has seen. While it is no Jet-Li, seeing Wolverine stab and slash his way through people is something you really can’t afford to miss!

I sat there for just under 2 hours watching the film I had been waiting to see for such a long time, with this being the case it can very often turn out that you get disappointed with what you see and come away wishing it was different. I have to say that X-Men Origins; Wolverine is not in this category, it was everything and more I wanted. It was so good I will be going back to watch it with my mates on Tuesday, my girlfriend couldn’t stop talking about it and even writing this now I am just thinking that I wish it was on DVD (blu ray) so I could watch it again.

I am struggling to find a bad word to say about the film and the only negative thing I could suggest is that I would have liked to have seen mutant’s powers more. But it would then run the risk of not telling the story aswell and focusing on their abilities. Meaning that it would not flow in the correct way. So that is not really a negative, maybe the only other point I could say is that some of the fight scenes are short lives and we do not get to see the full extent of said character’s power. So only a minor one, but all said and done, this film can only really get one score from me, that has to be two thumbs up and a must see!
10/10
Thanks for reading!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.