GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Should I start playing football again?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 15/07/03 at 17:20
Regular
I kinda packed in football totally at the beginning of the year.

I started when I was like 8, playing for a small team in a crappy league. That was fun and everything. When all my mates joined this other team, I also went there and it was brilliant. School mates playing football every weekend. We werent very good. Well, we were alright and everything... just other teams were better and stuff.

I continued moving back and forth through teams when I got some recognition. Scouts were coming to our matches and eventually picked my mate for the trials. I came this close *finger and thumb close together* to getting trials for Man Utd and Everton.

I got pretty beat up, being the defender/centre mid I was, and every Monday morning I was in pain from tackles I put myself in.

A year or two going into highschool I decided to go for the school team. First practice I went to, they named a new captain... that being me!
So great I thought, went a few years being captain but then it started to get boring. Then, I packed it in. And here we are now.

I was thinking of starting to play again, but seeing as though ive not done any serious sport for such a long time i'll get nackered very easily. I probably wont be as good as I was before either. And now, my dad comes in and says "Guess who I just saw..."

Me: "Dunno, who?"
Him: "Arthur, remember him? Your first coach"
Me: "Ah yeah"
Him: "He wanted to know if you still play football, and if you want to join his team..."

Blah blah blah.

So my first coach is still... coaching. I really want to go playing again but i'll be crap, nackered and generally not as good as the rest of them who have probably stayed on since they started playing years ago.

Hmm, I dunno what to do.

Thoughts?
Tue 15/07/03 at 17:20
Regular
"Hmmm....."
I kinda packed in football totally at the beginning of the year.

I started when I was like 8, playing for a small team in a crappy league. That was fun and everything. When all my mates joined this other team, I also went there and it was brilliant. School mates playing football every weekend. We werent very good. Well, we were alright and everything... just other teams were better and stuff.

I continued moving back and forth through teams when I got some recognition. Scouts were coming to our matches and eventually picked my mate for the trials. I came this close *finger and thumb close together* to getting trials for Man Utd and Everton.

I got pretty beat up, being the defender/centre mid I was, and every Monday morning I was in pain from tackles I put myself in.

A year or two going into highschool I decided to go for the school team. First practice I went to, they named a new captain... that being me!
So great I thought, went a few years being captain but then it started to get boring. Then, I packed it in. And here we are now.

I was thinking of starting to play again, but seeing as though ive not done any serious sport for such a long time i'll get nackered very easily. I probably wont be as good as I was before either. And now, my dad comes in and says "Guess who I just saw..."

Me: "Dunno, who?"
Him: "Arthur, remember him? Your first coach"
Me: "Ah yeah"
Him: "He wanted to know if you still play football, and if you want to join his team..."

Blah blah blah.

So my first coach is still... coaching. I really want to go playing again but i'll be crap, nackered and generally not as good as the rest of them who have probably stayed on since they started playing years ago.

Hmm, I dunno what to do.

Thoughts?
Tue 15/07/03 at 17:24
Regular
Ask the coach what he thinks. Tell him about it, and ask him if you can com down for a training session to see if he thinks you should start it up again.
Tue 15/07/03 at 17:28
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Yeah, he told my dad the times of training. Thursday and Saturday... forgot the times.

The reason I packed in was mainly because of all the school work I had to do. GCSEs were like... building up or whatever and I wanted to do well. With homework, coursework and revision amongst other things... football just made it harder and stuff.

Now im on holiday, ive got alot of spare time... but im going 6th Form in September and there will probably be LOADS of work.

Hmm.
Tue 15/07/03 at 17:43
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
6th Form? Loads of work?

Not for a long time.
Tue 15/07/03 at 17:46
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Go for it! If it's what you really want to do, what is stopping you? It may even help your studies- more blood to the brain etc etc.
Tue 15/07/03 at 17:50
Regular
"Hmmm....."
CDouch wrote:
> 6th Form? Loads of work?
>
> Not for a long time.

-----

Bloody hope so!

Im gonna be choosing Double IT (should be lots of easy lessons), Art (kinda easy as its natural to me) and Graphics (also quite natural). Those subjects come together quite nicely I suppose and it'll be lessons I enjoy.

But then theres a compulsory language and general studies which will be boring.

Hmm, really hope work doesnt pile on me.
Tue 15/07/03 at 17:51
Regular
"Hmmm....."
DébUK wrote:
> Go for it! If it's what you really want to do, what is stopping you?
> It may even help your studies- more blood to the brain etc etc.
-----

Whats stopping me?

Hmm, nothing really apart from the fact that I wont be as fit as I once was. I could probably last about 20 mins of the match and then id be nackered. The few times I was a sub, I hated it.
Tue 15/07/03 at 18:00
"Mimmargh!"
Hercules! wrote:
> But then theres a compulsory language and general studies which will
> be boring.
>
> Hmm, really hope work doesnt pile on me.

WTF? You have to take a language on at A level? WTF. General Studies yes but a language at A level is SERIOUS hard work unless your really natural at languages.
Tue 15/07/03 at 18:04
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Im not really natural, but im alright at them.

We have a choice of Spanish (which im gonna choose), Russian (even though we have no Russian teacher) or Chinese (despite their being no such language).

Its compulsory because our school (which is also the 6th Form) got turned into a language college. Also got a new headmaster and head of 6th Form. They now make everyone do 2 languages starting from this Septembers Year 7 up to what will be Year 10 in Sept. 6th Form have to do a language.

Not sure if its regarded as a big thing or not but its there on our timetable.

:(
Tue 15/07/03 at 18:20
Regular
"I like cheese"
Go for it, I gave up playing for a team a while ago but I like to think I've still got the...'talent', if you will, so I'm hoping to join my local team with a lot of mates next year.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.