GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Far Cry 2 - Far from Crying"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Far Cry 2'.
Wed 29/04/09 at 19:22
Regular
"How Ironic"
When i first saw the screenshot of a helicopter flying across a forest, and the amount of detail featured within that one picture, i knew that i would get this game. Being a fan of the original Far Cry, i couldn't wait to see what it's younger brother would produce. Well, thankfully, i wasn't dissapointed.

The location of the entire game is war-torn Africa, though the surroundings that encapsulate you make it a beautiful environment to kill somebody. And trust me, you will kill somebody. When i first started the game, i wasn't really sure what i was supposed to be doing; the gameplays that immense that it seems to become more than another FPS.

Well, i soon discovered what the deal was with this game. It's simply the old motto "Kill or be Killed". After a short interactive cinematic, you're dropped straight into the game. Boy oh boy, was i trapped. I won't spoil the story for any people who haven't played the game, but lets just say you'll need to learn the controls very quickly to survive.

Obviously, the main thing i could talk about in this game is the graphics, so i'll move onto them in more detail. Farcry 2 uses the Dunia Engine, which was specifically built for the game itself. It gives the game an destructible environment, much like Battlefield : Bad Company, except much better. The other motto for this game would be "If it looks destructible, it is destructible". And this is entirely true, shoot a tree, and you'll be showered in leaves, destroy fences, blow up vehicles. If you don't like the look of it, destroy it!

I can't move on from the graphics without mentioning the incredible fire animations on this game. These are the best graphics of fire, and best representation of the real-life behaviour of fire, i've ever seen. Period. You'll be surprised how throwing 1 molotov can set not just the tree nearest to you on fire, but will start a chain reaction of lighting the trees next to it alight, much like how forest fires start in real life. Not only trees though. The fire will spread across the ground aswell, pretty much any foilage in the way.

Another feature which makes this game seem 'real-life' like is the real time immersion. Get shot? It will take time for the wound to heal, which is more realistic than most FPS's, where you can be shot in both kneecaps one minute, and be climbing up ladders the next. Real time also comes into missions. For some missions, particularly stealth ones, it might be a good idea to wait for the night to settle in, and then infiltrate that base. Try it in broad African daylight, and you'll need all that time to recover the multiple wounds you recieved; and that's if you're lucky.

Never fear though, as if you not as much die, but run out of health, you can always be recovered by a 'buddy', which is a person in the game that is considered to be, well a buddy. They will move you from the location you've been shot, while firing back at the people who shot you, as best as they can anyway. Once successfully recovered, you will have low health, but you'll be alive, and you'll still have your guns. Don't rely on this feature though, as your buddys won't always have a rescue ready, and if they fail, then it's game over for you.

One thing i haven't enjoyed about this game is the weaponry missions, simply missions you can complete for a weapons merchant to unlock new and better weapons. Sounds interesting, and it is at first. You're told to destroy a convey of weapons that have come in from another country, as there stealing buisness. Well, ok, that's sounds alright, go and hunt down the convey blow it up, return to the weapons merchant. Congratulations, new weapon unlocked. Now this is where you'll begin to get bored, as the problem with these missions are, they're always exactly the same, no neccessarily the same locations, but it's always along the lines of 'Destroy a weapon convey'. Dissapointing.

But once you unlock a weapon, you can purchase froma computer within the weapon shop, using diamonds. Diamonds are the currency you will use in Farcry, and they can be found using the GPS. The GPS is primarily a map, but it has a handy green light (presumably a diamond detector-whatever one of them are), and it will flash faster when you're near a diamond, and will stay green when you're facing one. These diamonds are scattered all over the 50km2 map, so get them little green lights out and get searching!

Weaponry in the game is different to your bog standard, pick up the machine gun, bang bang, you're dead. Your weaponry will actually age through the game. Doesn't sound too lethal, but it is. Weapons can jam, and will jam more frequently depending on their age. You can tell the age of a weapon by the amount of rust on it.

In conclusion, this game is an absolute gem in comparison to it's predecessor, and is a worthy second game in the Far Cry series. Although there are few problems with it, the problems are major to the gameplay. I find that the I find the gameplay is to vague, and although for some that might be great, as you can go off and explore, i like to be told what i've got to do and just go off and do it. The graphics you can't complain about at all, and the sounds are very realistic, with loud gunshot noises, and big booms. The one thing you might want to watch out for are the wild animals. The amount of animals i've shot by accident, thinking them a soilder is unthinkable. Well they shouldn't have got in the way.

Overall Rating: 7/10
Wed 13/05/09 at 10:07
"possibly impossible"
I enjoyed it, bar the bugs. The multiplayer is great, especially playing around with fire.

Ok, I too felt annoyed having to go between one side of the map and the other but you still find quicker ways to get around.
Tue 12/05/09 at 21:47
Regular
"How Ironic"
After abit of thinking, i've decided to lower the rating of the game. I believe 7/10 is fair, as although the storyline is pretty terrible, the graphics and sound make up for it ten-fold.
Fri 01/05/09 at 14:24
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
I agree with Chris. If you want the honest thing here, I actually put the game on, just to see how much landscape I could set on fire! Although it gets to a certain point and then just stops.

Graphically it is good, but all good gamers proabably agree the order of things are

Playability>Story/Plot>Longetivity>Replay Value>Graphics

If I have to run round as a pixelated bunny to enjoy myself....well then damn it pixel me up!
Fri 01/05/09 at 13:58
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Dull and repetitive pretty much sums Farcry 2 up. The plot was so full of "Its in the script" logic it barely made any sense.
I quite enjoyed the end game bit though.
Thu 30/04/09 at 17:11
Regular
"How Ironic"
Yeah i understand what you mean. The gameplay is far too repetitive, as i said in the review, all them weapon missions are always the same. And i don't particularly enjoy the way there is no real set storyline. I like being told what i have to do, and just go and do it. The majority of this rating is for the superb graphics and atmosphere, perhaps i should of considered the actual gameplay more. Thanks for the feedback anyway.
Thu 30/04/09 at 17:08
Regular
"How Ironic"
Yeh, i don't play it often, if at all (i'm a Gears and FIFA guy, soon to be a Call of Duty guy aswell ;D). When i first picked it up, like with all games that have a high expectation infront of them, you can't wait to be blown away by your first go. But i didn't feel that with this game. You literally are thrown into a big, open landscape and given a gun. Go. Kill somebody. Probably the reason why this isn't more dominant in the review is because i like to look for the good things in a game. Although Far Cry is monotonous, you can't deny the graphical quality on it, they are quite sublime. The surrounding and atmostphere are probably the best part of the game. There isn't really a set story to follow like most games, and as i said, you either like that, or you don't.

And the original Far Cry doesn't link at all to this one. It was just a very good game (for the time it was released anyway).
Thu 30/04/09 at 16:35
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
motomoto wrote:
>
> One thing I have never understood, is how is this game related
> to the original Far Cry? :S
>

The name. Thats it.
Thu 30/04/09 at 14:57
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
I have found some of your other reviews informative and quite good, and this one is no different :D

However I am going to have to disagree with you entirely on the game being a gem. DIamond? More like coal. It could have been so so much more, but its jut rubbish.

I was practically drooling over the release of this game as I loved the ingenuity of the first. However the gameplay and overall experience left me tired and unwilling to continue gaming on FPS to be honest. (Thank god for a cheap version of Resistance 2 which turned me around)

Go here kill 3 people, go here kill 3 people more. Go over there kill 3 trucks, go kill 3 more people at a station. Beep beep pick up a diamond, kill 3 people.

That is the entire game over and over again.
Thu 30/04/09 at 14:55
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
Nice review... Unfortunately I didn't find this game very interesting.

I was really excited about it as it had an amazing concept. I mean who wouldn't want to play a game where you have completely free range over a few Km's of Jungle/Desert, shooting bad guys? But after traveling across the whole map twice for the first few missions I just couldn't be bothered any more.

One thing I have never understood, is how is this game related to the original Far Cry? :S
Wed 29/04/09 at 19:22
Regular
"How Ironic"
When i first saw the screenshot of a helicopter flying across a forest, and the amount of detail featured within that one picture, i knew that i would get this game. Being a fan of the original Far Cry, i couldn't wait to see what it's younger brother would produce. Well, thankfully, i wasn't dissapointed.

The location of the entire game is war-torn Africa, though the surroundings that encapsulate you make it a beautiful environment to kill somebody. And trust me, you will kill somebody. When i first started the game, i wasn't really sure what i was supposed to be doing; the gameplays that immense that it seems to become more than another FPS.

Well, i soon discovered what the deal was with this game. It's simply the old motto "Kill or be Killed". After a short interactive cinematic, you're dropped straight into the game. Boy oh boy, was i trapped. I won't spoil the story for any people who haven't played the game, but lets just say you'll need to learn the controls very quickly to survive.

Obviously, the main thing i could talk about in this game is the graphics, so i'll move onto them in more detail. Farcry 2 uses the Dunia Engine, which was specifically built for the game itself. It gives the game an destructible environment, much like Battlefield : Bad Company, except much better. The other motto for this game would be "If it looks destructible, it is destructible". And this is entirely true, shoot a tree, and you'll be showered in leaves, destroy fences, blow up vehicles. If you don't like the look of it, destroy it!

I can't move on from the graphics without mentioning the incredible fire animations on this game. These are the best graphics of fire, and best representation of the real-life behaviour of fire, i've ever seen. Period. You'll be surprised how throwing 1 molotov can set not just the tree nearest to you on fire, but will start a chain reaction of lighting the trees next to it alight, much like how forest fires start in real life. Not only trees though. The fire will spread across the ground aswell, pretty much any foilage in the way.

Another feature which makes this game seem 'real-life' like is the real time immersion. Get shot? It will take time for the wound to heal, which is more realistic than most FPS's, where you can be shot in both kneecaps one minute, and be climbing up ladders the next. Real time also comes into missions. For some missions, particularly stealth ones, it might be a good idea to wait for the night to settle in, and then infiltrate that base. Try it in broad African daylight, and you'll need all that time to recover the multiple wounds you recieved; and that's if you're lucky.

Never fear though, as if you not as much die, but run out of health, you can always be recovered by a 'buddy', which is a person in the game that is considered to be, well a buddy. They will move you from the location you've been shot, while firing back at the people who shot you, as best as they can anyway. Once successfully recovered, you will have low health, but you'll be alive, and you'll still have your guns. Don't rely on this feature though, as your buddys won't always have a rescue ready, and if they fail, then it's game over for you.

One thing i haven't enjoyed about this game is the weaponry missions, simply missions you can complete for a weapons merchant to unlock new and better weapons. Sounds interesting, and it is at first. You're told to destroy a convey of weapons that have come in from another country, as there stealing buisness. Well, ok, that's sounds alright, go and hunt down the convey blow it up, return to the weapons merchant. Congratulations, new weapon unlocked. Now this is where you'll begin to get bored, as the problem with these missions are, they're always exactly the same, no neccessarily the same locations, but it's always along the lines of 'Destroy a weapon convey'. Dissapointing.

But once you unlock a weapon, you can purchase froma computer within the weapon shop, using diamonds. Diamonds are the currency you will use in Farcry, and they can be found using the GPS. The GPS is primarily a map, but it has a handy green light (presumably a diamond detector-whatever one of them are), and it will flash faster when you're near a diamond, and will stay green when you're facing one. These diamonds are scattered all over the 50km2 map, so get them little green lights out and get searching!

Weaponry in the game is different to your bog standard, pick up the machine gun, bang bang, you're dead. Your weaponry will actually age through the game. Doesn't sound too lethal, but it is. Weapons can jam, and will jam more frequently depending on their age. You can tell the age of a weapon by the amount of rust on it.

In conclusion, this game is an absolute gem in comparison to it's predecessor, and is a worthy second game in the Far Cry series. Although there are few problems with it, the problems are major to the gameplay. I find that the I find the gameplay is to vague, and although for some that might be great, as you can go off and explore, i like to be told what i've got to do and just go off and do it. The graphics you can't complain about at all, and the sounds are very realistic, with loud gunshot noises, and big booms. The one thing you might want to watch out for are the wild animals. The amount of animals i've shot by accident, thinking them a soilder is unthinkable. Well they shouldn't have got in the way.

Overall Rating: 7/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.